State of the Army

PDA

4v50 Gary
March 7, 2003, 03:49 PM
"The men looked haggard and pallid and were poorly dressed. Indeed very many stood quite proudly under arms without shoes and stockings. Although I shuddered at the distress of these men, it filled me with awe for them, for I did not think there was an army in the world which could be maintained as cheaply as the American army... - What army could be maintained in this manner? None, certainly, for the whole army would gradually run away. - This, too, is a part of the "Liberty and Independence" for which these poor fellows had to have their arms and legs smashed. - But to what cannot enthusiasm lead a people!"

Capt. Johann von Ewald. Hesse Jager Korps, 1782. Excerpt from Diary of the American War: A Hessian Journal

Hats off to our early patriots.

If you enjoyed reading about "State of the Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ledbetter
March 7, 2003, 05:31 PM
May their spirit live on.

telewinz
March 7, 2003, 05:38 PM
I dare say no-one can say that about our Army, but maybe it would apply to the French Army and also the Iraq Army, soon , very, very soon!:fire:

seeker_two
March 7, 2003, 05:58 PM
...but maybe it would apply to the French Army...

Are you serious? If the French run out of Perrier & cheese, their front line would disintegrate! :what:

(Of course, every French soldier knows what the term "front line" means--it's the direction to run away from...:evil: )

Blackhawk
March 7, 2003, 07:13 PM
Hats off to our early patriots.Indeed, and a sincere salute!

jmbg29
March 7, 2003, 10:39 PM
Hats off to our patriots!

Of every age.

If you enjoyed reading about "State of the Army" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!