Questions You've Been Asked by Friends/Family

PDA

BerettaNut92
March 7, 2003, 04:22 PM
OK just checking to see what kinds of questions your friends and family have asked you. Here's some questions I've been asked by friends, acquaintances and family.

FWIW I get asked these questions at least once a month.

EDITED: HELP MODS!!! I meant to make them check boxes!! :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions You've Been Asked by Friends/Family" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
March 7, 2003, 04:39 PM
Are you licensed, are you carrying, isn't that dangerous? and why?

MountainPeak
March 7, 2003, 04:42 PM
None of your poll questions. I do get asked how many do you own?

Schuey2002
March 7, 2003, 04:42 PM
None of the above.;)

MBG
March 7, 2003, 04:55 PM
Depends what part of the family; most of those listed get asked by the extended family.

Mom and Dad just ask what I brought up that they can shoot. :D

Marty

Betty
March 7, 2003, 05:05 PM
Hmmmm.... Our family questions would be more like:

So, can I have first dibs on that 581 when you don't want it anymore?

May I hock some ammo from you?

I forgot my cleaning kit. May I borrow yours?

Buy anything new at the gun show?

:p

jsalcedo
March 7, 2003, 05:05 PM
Why do you belong to the NRA?

Are you a gun nut?

Why do you have so many guns?

You are a vegetarian! what in the heck do you need a gun for?

Don't you know guns cause crime?

Do you STILL carry a gun everywhere?

Did you know 40,000 children died in home firearms accidents in the America last year?

It gets tough on the nerves.

I'm probably asking for it when I wear my pro RKBA and NRA T shirts and hats.

BerettaNut92
March 7, 2003, 05:13 PM
Fortunately my dad's pretty comfortable with me having a gun now.

"Hey, I'm coming down to meet a customer in your area, I'm free later in the evening. How many rounds of .45 do you have left?"

Edited: Runty, could you please change the poll to allow multiples? Pretty please? Pho's on me when I drive out.... :o

XLMiguel
March 7, 2003, 05:13 PM
You left off "What do you need a gun for?"

When I brought my first handgun home (a SIG 228), my wife did ask about martial arts, and I asked her how long do you think it takes to become proficient, and how often do you think one must train to maintain proficiency? A handgun (with practice & training) is far and away a much better use of your time for home/self defense (bear in mind that we're both over 50, she's had 3 brain surgeries with some residual deficits, I have a blown-out knee and fused ankle).

My wife was casually atheletic, I wrestled in HS, played a little club rugby & lacrosse and swam a lot of distance in college, and boxed lt. heavy in the Army. I wasn't too good at wrestling or boxing, but I was (and am, at least as of last try a few years back) a pretty fair brawler. We continue to be active, but not seriously athletic.

But I digress. Most folks don't interanlize the need until they face a crisis, and my family has been candy-assed, low threat suburban - they haven't seen the need. The good news is that the kids are interested in shooting, and Uncle Mike will teach them right, NRA memberships for birthdays, etc.

None of my siblings are really anti, just a bit nieve/ambivalent, but I'm working on them. All are well educated, and I'm working on the fact that the .gov's job is to provide for the 'common defense', but personal safety is up to you.

All in all, they don't figure me for crazy (go figure), but there are times when RKBA sort of goes against their idea of 'the good life' (aren't we supposed to be beyond that?). We haven't realy benn out of the cave that long . . . .

And the answer to the origanl questions is, "I'm too old to dance with fools", nor do I owe you 'the courtesy'. If I think you're a serious threat, you can leave or I'll defend myself/family with appropriate and necessary force. Lethal force is either justified or not. Any questions?

cratz2
March 7, 2003, 05:28 PM
I, like many folks on this forum, look nothing like the typical gun nut. I look like I work in IT or middle management (Hrmm... :p ) I'm pretty vocal, in a amicable way, about 2dn ammendment rights and the right to carry. I get asked all the time why I feel the need to carry a gun or own guns. I do get asked how many I own (probably the most common question)

Generally, at least the women I know, are more open to the idea and more intrigued with it. For one reason or another, I've taken far more women shooting for their first time than men.

telewinz
March 7, 2003, 05:32 PM
Most have resigned themselves to it now and just shake their heads. My casket WILL have a guns decor, at least thats what my wife says. My oldest son asks about my health all the time...I wonder why?:D

meathammer
March 7, 2003, 05:50 PM
Mom and Dad have no problem with guns. My Dad taught me how to shoot and hunt at a young age. They gave me a nice Browning 12 gauge for Christmas 2 yrs. ago. :D

Most of my friends have the same opinions as I do as far as firearms go. The rest of my friends, and family are either converted, oops, I mean educated or in the process of being educated. My Dad also taught my brother and two sisters how to shoot.

Anyone I know that seems squeamish about guns in general, I offer to take them shooting. I've been taken up on it more times than not. They ALWAYS have a good time.

No, I don't really get asked any of those questions.

Mastrogiacomo
March 7, 2003, 05:56 PM
My parents STILL don't know I own guns. However -- my father just related to my mother, who's away visiting my sister, that I went to the gun range today. He told me she was "delighted." Good news, it should soften the blow when they hear I've had three for close to a year now. :D

The question I chose was "Do you have a gun on you now." Actually, it was close. I was in my room dry firing my 442 when my mother must have been passing by. The response was "What's the clicking noise? Come clean, do you have a gun?" -- my response, "What me? Are you kidding?":what:

10-Ring
March 7, 2003, 06:19 PM
I don't mind the discussions, I just don't like the same comments from the same holier than thow attitudes w/ no basis in fact or reality.

Ol' Badger
March 7, 2003, 06:29 PM
Did you know that 40,000 children die a year <BAM!> Oops. 40,001 in gun related deaths? :evil:

Do children really matter that much? Most of'em get bad skin, bad hair cuts and bad attitudes! ;)

JohnBT
March 7, 2003, 06:35 PM
Typical questions:

Where do you want to eat after we go to the range? (Mom - she reads in the car while my father and I shoot for a couple hours)

Shot that gun I sold you? (uncle)

Do you know of a good range where I'm moving? (cousin Susan)

You spent HOW much on another safe? (Mom)

Which gun store do you want to go to after lunch? (Dad)

Will you look up the carry permit renewal process for me on the computer? (Dad - he's 81 and doesn't do computers - could, but won't)

Does the NRA send you all this junk mail too? (Dad)

What do you want for Christmas? No guns. (Mom)

I haven't heard any of the poll questions in 30 years or more.

John

jsalcedo
March 7, 2003, 06:46 PM
Yeah I love it when Anti gunners will take a 1975 road death statistic and confuse it with a 2002 home gun accident statistic.

I guess its more honest than taking every DGU, Justifiable police shooting, gang banger shooting and drug dealer turf war where someone under 21 was killed and say "aww look at those poor
children killed by the NRA death machine"

Even then they can only come up with about 1300.

But I still get asked, "how can you have a gun in your home with
a 6 year old child there?"

I just tell them he can only play with the guns and use the
reloader after he has done the dishes and cleaned his room.

Nanook
March 7, 2003, 08:05 PM
I've been asked by two different relatives if my reloading setup was "legal". My immediate family knows I'm a shooter, most of them have adjusted. No real antis that I'm aware of, but several 'the gov. will take care of you' types. Sigh.
:rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
March 7, 2003, 08:32 PM
No one's ever asked whether I have a Desert Eagle, but I've been asked all or virtually all the rest of those questions.

I make a point of answering any and all firearms-related questions: I'm always looking for new people to introduce to shooting.

mgjohn
March 7, 2003, 08:43 PM
All of the above!!!

El Tejon
March 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
"Uncle Kirk, will you read to me?"

To which I reply, Noah, of couse, as long as it is from the Book of Tactical Truth.

sm
March 7, 2003, 09:07 PM
Mom is the only one that knows for sure I carry. "honey want some gum/or a mint" (her way of asking if I'm currently carrying)

Only one other family member 'suspects' I carry. I paid for , but bro never followed thru with CCW I paid for him.

Close friends and like CCW'ers "What are you carrying"

Best ? during a CCW class "he ain't concealing now is he?"
the next ? was "WOW he hid those all this time and I never noticed???"

Smoke
March 7, 2003, 09:20 PM
i haven't ever been asked any of these questions:rolleyes:

berettaman
March 7, 2003, 11:04 PM
None of the above but these are the most often asked;
1. Q- You carry a gun?
A- Uh Huh
2. Q- Is it loaded?
A- Yup!
3. Q- Are you a Cop?
A- Nope!

coonan357
March 8, 2003, 12:21 AM
I have been asked these questions so many times.. heres the answers

1.yes I'm a lifer
2.yes
3.no
4.don't need one Have a FOID (Illinois firearms owners Id )
5.Maybe
6.tried to but I was too tall and Now too old
7.was in the Academy but dropped out
8.because I can
9.don't ask and I won't tell you ( unless you want to play frisk :rolleyes: )
10.can't because my foot has plates in it like your head for asking me these questions....

Hkmp5sd
March 8, 2003, 12:39 AM
1. I hear your are into guns. Would you like to buy my ________?

2. I hear you are into guns. What is my _______ worth?

3. I hear you are into guns. How do I get a Florida CCW license?

Pilgrim
March 8, 2003, 12:45 AM
My Brother: Are you a member of one of those militias?

Me: I am a militia.

Bruce

tbz
March 8, 2003, 01:32 AM
Dad - Why do you need anything more than a 410 and a
38?
Brother#1 - What are you some kind of revolutionary?
Bro #2 - Put them away it's not deer season yet.
Sis - Will you by me a Sig?

inthefork
March 8, 2003, 02:17 AM
None of the above questions. Most of the questions I get are like; "Daddy, can we shoot the Garand, (etc, etc) today?".

m16

BamBam-31
March 8, 2003, 03:26 AM
Okay, the martial arts one is pretty funny. Actually, I get "You only have two hands, why would you need more than two?" quite a bit. :rolleyes: Too much John Woo, I guess. Actually, I got asked that by an INS...oops, Homeland Security guy. Sigh....

Archie
March 8, 2003, 03:30 AM
1. LIFE member.
2. Yes.
3. No, too big for my hands.
4. I have badge and credentials.
5. No. I'm still mad about the pinned barrels.
6. I did. Four years in the Marine Corps.
7. Look at the badge and creds again.
8. They serve different functions. Some are pick up trucks and some are sports cars.
9. Yeah... you're not? Why?
10. "Martial" means "of a military nature" or "of the military". Guns are a martial art; the primary one.

They give up somewhere in here.....

MPFreeman
March 8, 2003, 03:33 AM
Why do you carry a GUN?!

"Daddy, will you make me a gun?", one of the little ones asks as he hands me lego blocks.

chaim
March 8, 2003, 07:24 PM
My questions vary.

From friends and family members that know I own guns the most common are (more or less in order):
-"why do you need a gun"
-"why do you need so many" (started once I bought a second gun)
-"do you want to shoot someone"
-"don't you need a license"
-"is that legal"
:confused:

Some questions asked by a small number of my friends:
-"when can I try your ______ (insert gun name here)"
-"when are you going to buy a _____ (insert gun name here)"
-"when are you going to take me to the range"
-"hey I've got one too, you want to go to the range sometime"
-"why don't you own a _______"
-"which is your favorite"
:cool:

TechBrute
March 8, 2003, 08:39 PM
The number one question I get asked:

When's the next time you're going shooting, and can I come?

Close second:

Cool... how much did that cost?

Hypnogator
March 8, 2003, 10:45 PM
Queried several times about why I have more than 1 gun. :rolleyes:

No one asks about the military or police. Spent 20 yrs as an Army Criminal Investigator. :neener:

Sven
March 8, 2003, 11:32 PM
Can't change the poll type once it's been posted.

"Measure twice, cut once"

LiquidTension
March 8, 2003, 11:35 PM
After interested people ask to see my guns (especially my carry gun), the most common question I get is:

"Oh goodness, did you know that your gun is cocked?!"
"Yes."
"Isn't that dangerous?!"
"No."

To the brighter or more proficient people I'll explain the difference between single and double action, but to most people I just don't bother.

Phyphor
March 8, 2003, 11:48 PM
I remember purchasing my Glock 19 after turning 21, and my parents, not being gun enthusiasts, not knowing about it.

Well, one day, I was cleaning said gun, heard a knock on my door, and put it down on my desk, and answered the door. My mom saw the gun, raised an eyebrow, and asked why I needed it. I explained what was up, and she accepted that pretty well.

What really got me was 4 days later when she asked me to take her shooting. :D

.45Ruger
March 9, 2003, 04:41 PM
I've always liked "Are you carrying a gun right now?" Well my CCW status is no ones business so I always reply, no not here just sometimes. They always bought that so I think I've got the concealed part of CCW down. My favorite question is when my boss says "You want to go shooting after work?" Great boss, great job.

Bergeron
March 9, 2003, 08:59 PM
My dad: Should I buy a .357 Desert Eagle or a 1911?
My Mom: Would you help me load these magazines?
My Sister: When are you going to get tired of that USP let me have it?

My answers: 1911; sure, I do get help shoot them, right?; NEVER!

Seawolf
March 9, 2003, 09:00 PM
Are you an NRA member?

Why do you need more than one?

Are you carrying a gun? Right now?

Ala Dan
March 9, 2003, 10:43 PM
I voted, "why do you need more than one"? Then most reply,
"Cuz you can't shoot but ONE at the time"!

Like the ole' saying goes, "what they don't know won't hurt
them"!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

ahadams
March 10, 2003, 12:30 AM
uhm, I'm an NRA life member, my ex (1st) wife was the one with the bees and cees (if you don't know, don't ask) and I'm still convinced that some day we're going to end up shooting at blue helmets. Sorry Oleg et al, but at least that's not obscene, eh?

Oh and my left wing sort of methodist antiwar relatives have completely avoided any discussion with me in the last year (I consider this a very GOOD thing!). Why aren't your left wing relatives doing the same?

Slotback
March 10, 2003, 12:36 AM
Bergeron:
Have you told your sister to go and buy a USP for herself?:D

ahadams
March 10, 2003, 12:54 AM
Pilgrim mentioned that he'd told someone that he has told some one he *is* a militia. As an old soldier I have hated that "army of one" slogan since it first came out. On the other hand has anybody thought of a tee shirt that said "a militia of one" ?

I think that might have some possibilities! :D

Blackhawk
March 10, 2003, 01:18 AM
None of them.

Good friends, good family.

jade
March 10, 2003, 11:23 AM
my family has asked why I need more than one. I just tell them, it's because I don't want the one to get lonely. They don't buy it though. The worst question I've gotten though was "Aren't you afraid you will get angry at your boyfriend and shoot him?"

jade

Jack19
March 10, 2003, 01:05 PM
I've never been asked those questions by friends or family members. My friends are shooters, my family members know what I do for a living.

Dorrin79
March 10, 2003, 06:04 PM
None of the above!!!

I get asked questions like

1) "Is $300 a good price for a SAR-1? Cause I'm thinking of getting a couple..." (younger brother, over Christmas)

2) "Can you help me zero my new scope next time you're down?" (youngest brother, in February, after acquiring a new scope for his .22)

3) "Where can I get one of those?" (dear old Mom, after seeing my Yugo SKS for the first time)

I am happy to say that all of my immediate family are fellow shooting enthusiasts. (well except my father, but he lives in Utah, and so he doesn't count :p )

Bergeron
March 10, 2003, 06:54 PM
Slotback, yup, sure have, all my guns are keepers!

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions You've Been Asked by Friends/Family" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!