Long range rifle??? Husqvarna 7mm Mag

PDA

hillbilly preacher
February 12, 2005, 12:09 AM
I have a Husqvarna 4100 light weight in 7mm Mag. The book says it has a HVA improved mauser action. I am wondering if anyone knows if this gun can be improved upon from the factory settings to accomlish very accurate 800 yard targets and elk? Can the action be trued and all of the other fine tuning tricks be done on this rifle to accomplish accurate 800 yard shots? I would like your input. I had a gunsmiting friend (who has since left the business) who was concerned about something in the Mauser reciever. I checked what ever it was(I forgot what it was) he wanted me to look at and according to his description it was OK. Just some back ground for your replies.

Thanks,
Brent

If you enjoyed reading about "Long range rifle??? Husqvarna 7mm Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
February 12, 2005, 10:43 PM
I have a friend who shoots Long Range competition, including the Palma, which *starts* at 800 yards. He has a rifle based on a Tikka 565, a newer design than a H-4100 but not a whale of a lot different. All it needed besides truing and "blueprinting" the bolt and receiver was a new barrel and stock. I think a good 'smith tuned up the factory trigger to suit. But the sights, both peep and scope are VERY fine, worth more than most whole sporting rifles.

I think you have a long way to go to turn that Husky into an 800 yard target rifle. I don't elk hunt and can't speak from personal experience, but that is about twice the maximum range that hunters of my acquaintance consider sporting.

106rr
February 14, 2005, 04:29 AM
That is an excellent action but I wouldn't count on making it an 800 yard elk rifle. Few people can hit at that range with anything. The 4100 has a .5 inch striker travel, a very slim 23.5 inch bbl, and a stock with a lot of drop at the comb. The little schnabel forend won't help either. Most modern actions and rifles would be better but still not 800 yds.

dakotasin
February 14, 2005, 10:26 AM
an accurate 800 yards from a sporter barrel is asking an awful lot... it can be done, but you won't be doing it w/ the factory barrel.

any action will work - some are just easier than others to make work well.

just take your gun out, start shooting, and work back 100 yards at a time. make sure you are marking the turrets on your scope off so next time at that range you can be close...

even more important than the rifle: do you have a scope and mount system capable of working at extended ranges?

If you enjoyed reading about "Long range rifle??? Husqvarna 7mm Mag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!