I need a load : 185 gr Speer Gold Dot 45acp

PDA

Stinger
February 12, 2005, 06:25 PM
Does anybody have a good recipe for the 185 Gold Dots using AA#5?

I found a couple of boxes in my garage, and I would like to try something new.

BTW, this will be shot from a full size 1911.

Thanks,

Stinger

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a load : 185 gr Speer Gold Dot 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
larryf1952
February 12, 2005, 07:34 PM
Stinger, 185JHP's are the only thing I shoot in my 1911's. I just like 'em. I use 9.4 grains of #5. I've chrono'd this load at 1028fps from my gun. I'd recommend that you start out at about 8.9 or 9 grains in your gun, if you choose to go this route, then work up if all signs are OK.

7.5 grains of WSF at 1000fps is also a load that I like very much.

Stinger
February 12, 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Larry.

I am getting some conflicing info from some of my manuals.

My AA Manual says 9.2 min @ 1.210
My Lyman 47th says 7.4 @ 1.175

I understand that the deeper seating calls for less powder, but what gives?

Where should I start for OAL? Should I go with what I normally use for 230g loads (1.26)?

Thanks,

Stinger

The Bushmaster
February 12, 2005, 08:58 PM
Let's see....I've been loading .45 ACP's for a number of years for a Colt 1911 and I still recommend W-231. I just don't like AA#5.

My recipe:

6.1 to 6.7 grs of W-231
185 gr Remington JHP
CCI primed (WLP for a little more kick)
Most any case trimed to .890
OAL at 1.200 for defence and 1.250 for target.

W-231 will give you around 980 to 990 fps with CCI primers.
These are top end loads and you may want to start a little lower, say about 5 grs of W-231. This loading should work well with golden sabor or gold dot bullets.

Have fun with your .45 ACP. They are a pleasure to load for.

Mark whiz
February 13, 2005, 02:40 AM
My best loads for 185gr JHPs out of my SA 1911-A1 are:
10.0gr of AA#5
4.9gr of IMR 700-X
5.5gr of Win WST
6.0gr of Alliant red Dot

However these were not tested with Gold Dots. I've found that Gold Dots don't like to be pushed too fast, so I'd suggest you dropping back about .4gr with any of those loads and work up to see what you get.

BTW - the OAL on these loads are 1.245".........which is the max length for my particular pistol to feed JHPs reliably.

larryf1952
February 13, 2005, 11:40 PM
I understand that the deeper seating calls for less powder, but what gives? I, too, have often been somewhat befuddled by apparently conflicting load data between manuals. This is why I finally started to chrono my loads, then I found the manual whose loads most closely matched my results, and I threw the other ones out. Trying to correlate between more than 1 manual just confuses me. I understand the differences that might result due to the use of different components, barrel lengths, etc., when testing a certain round, but it's hard to accommodate for a 2 grain difference between manufacturers...which one is right? Or, are they both right? Most of the time, I'll just defer to the powder manufacturer's data if I don't have anything else to go on.

With the Remington 185JHP, I load to 1.227". This length feeds without fail in all my .45's...from my Llama to my Kimber. I arrived at this number by measuring a factory round, pulling the bullet and measuring it, then applying the difference between that bullet's length and the Remington 185 to come up with the final OAL for the Remington bullets, so the case volume would remain the same. Of course, as case volume decreases, pressures go up, even with the same amount of powder in the case. This is why I try to maintain the same case volume, and let the OAL fall where it may, when using various bullets. Anymore, I pretty much exclusively use the Remington 185JHP, since it's cheap and plentiful.

I shoot a lot of 231 and Bullseye in the .45 for lower velocity rounds, but they're just too fast for maximum velocity with the 185. This is where #5 and the medium burn rate powders work best. 6.3 grains of 231 has chrono'd at 895fps in my guns, while 5.4 grains of Bullseye comes in at 893fps. I like #5 as it burns cleaner than 231 in my experience, plus it gives me the velocity boost with the same apparent pressures.

In the end, just pick your poison, they all work fine. :D

Stinger
February 14, 2005, 10:08 PM
Thank you very much for the replies, folks.

Stinger

alex-v.
February 16, 2005, 07:12 PM
The SPEER #13 manual lists 9.5 to 10.6 (max) for that bullet and AA#5. You can probably find the max or min OAL on the Speer web site.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need a load : 185 gr Speer Gold Dot 45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!