sub-caliber for 12"

PDA

4v50 Gary
February 13, 2005, 12:40 PM
Here's something interesting I've found regarding Fort Sumter (reconstructed for circa 1900 defense):

Sumter had been reconstructed into a modern fort of 12-inch disappearing guns. Our guide, the young lieutenant, a most intelligent and agreeable officer, gave us full information as to the working of the guns. He said that upon receiving his instructions to conduct us to the Fort he had just returned from artillery practice. I asked him if they used the monster 1000-pound expensive shot in their practice?

'Oh, no,' he said, 'even the United States government could not afford that; we have for this use an inner tube to the large guns which carries a fifty pound shot, and by which we can get the same effect in the matter, of gun practice.'

I asked him as to the accuracy of their firing, and he replied, 'We can average four hits out of six shots at a target the size of a ship four miles away.'"

Taken from Col. Elbridge Copp's "Reminiscences of the War of the Rebellion."

If you enjoyed reading about "sub-caliber for 12"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
If you enjoyed reading about "sub-caliber for 12"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!