Am I the worst impulse buyer?

PDA

Okiecruffler
March 8, 2003, 01:51 AM
I went to a local Ammo stop (Brigadoons for you locals, gotta love that place) to pick up some mosin food and found a pistol scope for $30. Hey, I've been thinking of putting a scope on my S&W 22A, and it's only 30 bucks...So I get it home and put it on the S&W and The Wife just laughs and ask, "Do you really think a $30 pistol scope is going to be worth a hill of beans?" Dang her woman's logic. So I answered," I don't think it's going to be a great scope, but I'm not sure if I want a scoped pistol, so it would be a foolish thing to put a $200 scope on it, and the pistol only cost $200 anyway, and I can't shoot so I'm bored, and yesterday was my birthday and it's my money, and weren't you supposed to call your mother.":cuss: She said I was the worst impulse buyer she had ever seen. Surely someone out there is worse than I am. Either way, I'm not telling her about the Steven's 311 I just put money down on. Hey everyone should have at least 9 SXS shotguns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I the worst impulse buyer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firestar
March 8, 2003, 02:01 AM
If you buy on impulse all the time, then you are the BEST impulse buyer, not the worst. The worst impulse buyer would never buy anything on impluse.:neener:

cobb
March 8, 2003, 07:33 AM
I don't think it is really impulse buying, but when buying something that you have been kind of keeping your eyes open for and you just happen to find it today. So, it can't really be an impulse if you have always been on the lookout for it, can it? :scrutiny:

AK103K
March 8, 2003, 07:42 AM
I went into the bike shop the other day to buy a couple of $3 water bottles (I was trying to stay out of my local gun shop as I know its trouble for me when its raining :)) I ended up walking out with a $1200 dollar bike! :eek: Maybe I should have gone to the guns store!

stellarpod
March 8, 2003, 08:33 AM
Every time I wander in to Brigadoon, Mark has something "new" to show me. More times than not I walk out with a sack or box in my hand.

In fact, I think I'm due. :D

stellarpod

Tamara
March 8, 2003, 09:28 AM
I've found that it's a real boost to your impulse-buying tendencies if you go buy a really expensive gun. After you've done that, you catch yourself in gun stores saying things like "$250? That's almost free!"

WhoKnowsWho
March 8, 2003, 09:41 AM
I'm only up to the "It's only $75" type impulse buys. :)

stellarpod
March 8, 2003, 09:42 AM
Tamara, you read my mind. :)

stellarpod

Hkmp5sd
March 8, 2003, 09:52 AM
For a time, I could control my impulse buying by shopping online. Since it might take a week or two for the item to arrive, I would give it more thought and talk myself out of it.

Then someone invented "Next Day Air."

I'm broke again. :(

TechBrute
March 8, 2003, 10:11 AM
My last impulse buy was a Browning Citori Lightning.

BenW
March 8, 2003, 10:24 AM
I've found that it's a real boost to your impulse-buying tendencies if you go buy a really expensive gun.

Heh heh, that's my strategy. Average pistol I buy = $1000, average milsurp = $100. I can buy TEN for the price of one, so naturally that's what I do. As a buddy of mine likes to say, "Hey, it's like I'm MAKIN' money!" :)

8Balls
March 8, 2003, 11:46 AM
I bought a new gun yesterday on impulse. Brand new Hi-Power MKIII, assembled in Belgium, came with 2 new 13 rnd mags. 320€=340$. That was good deal. He first asked 800€ I told hes nuts. ;)

bad_dad_brad
March 8, 2003, 12:34 PM
Don't get me going. My impulsiveness is only limited by my bank account and credit card limits. On my birthday I bought an AR-15 for $800, a Ken Onion automatic knife for $45, then spent $70 bucks on a sumptous dinner (alone) and later in the evening I dropped $500 on a certain type of lady whose profession I can't mention here.

Two weeks later I bought an Audi A4 Quatro which I am going to drive out of town this afternoon for some more impulsiveness.

I have enjoyed every single penny! Who says money can't buy happiness? Only the rich because they don't want the poor to know how much fun they are having!

Spend your money now! Trust me, you can't take it with you.

JohnBT
March 8, 2003, 02:16 PM
Tamara, your line of reasoning has worked perfectly for me to this point.

I've extended it and gone over the top. My new kind of logic led me to order a second safe and now I have think of ways to fill it. It's not my fault, I couldn't fit any more in the old one and I don't want to buy new guns and have to put them in the closet or the dresser drawer.

Oh, woe is me, I have an empty safe. What to do? What to do?

How many guns will it take to fill a 35 cubic foot safe? Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Is there such as animal as planned impulse buying?

John

geekWithA.45
March 8, 2003, 02:33 PM
I bought my Bushie Dissipator on impulse....It was calling to me, and my wife, who was with me said, "oh, just buy it and get it over with."

KaChing!

Tamara
March 8, 2003, 02:40 PM
Is there such as animal as planned impulse buying?

Oh, definitely!

I deliberately jumped in the deep end with guns like my HK91 and Springfield Pro with the knowledge that they would make future purchases like a SIG P-228 or Daewoo DR200 seem reasonable by comparison... :)

10-Ring
March 8, 2003, 04:14 PM
It's not impulse buying if you really need it, is it? :scrutiny:

The psychology of the gun purchase...there should be books on this stuff :rolleyes:

Okiecruffler
March 8, 2003, 04:30 PM
And now that there's a horde of us, just think what we're doing to help the economy. Jeez, we're not impulse buyers, we're patriots:D . Right now I know where a broomhandle mauser sits and I'm tempted to go out an do my patriotic duty. But The Wife took the check book with her to the grocery store. Sometimes I wonder if she's not a communist.:scrutiny:

Selfdfenz
March 8, 2003, 05:56 PM
These confessions sound familiar. I don't call it impulse buying anymore.... since the divorce. And, I sure don't guilty, which is amazing because us Baptists feel guilty about just about everything.

Do what I do.
Confess to the imaginary Gun Father.
Say three Boomshakalakas
and two Whoopdedos and sin no more my son.

This month.
S-;)

blades67
March 9, 2003, 01:23 AM
Am I the worst impulse buyer?

Yes, a good impulse buyer would have bought a gun with the scope.:neener: :evil:

Zander
March 9, 2003, 01:49 AM
You folks just don't have the right mindset. If you operate on a true contrarian philosophy, you buy stuff that you don't "need" because it's absolutely going to be worth more tomorrow than it was today; and more importantly, you will "need" it sooner or later.

Recently, when I dragged my 'grip and panel' container out of the closet that she covets, she asked "What does that thing weigh?"...and I had no idea. Probably around 40 lbs. or so, but I just ignored her next question which was, "How much of that stuff will fit "stuff" you actually own?"

I mean, "need to know" and all... <sigh>

Marshall
March 9, 2003, 02:14 AM
I had a good impulse day!

Started at a sporting goods retailer picking up some gun cleaning supplies, walked out with a new SOG X-14 Recondo Knife. Put it in my hand and it was all over but the payin!

Then, damn, then I go to the Ford Dealer on my way home to get my oil changed and drive home with signed papers for an '03 Super Duty Crew Cab with the new 6.0 Litre Turbo Diesel.

I made sure the knife was not accessable before I walked in the door.........(duckin-n-coverin).......with papers, doin one of these deals..:uhoh:

Now it's 12:55 AM and I'm here playing with my new knife..... hehe hehe hehe! She'll never know :::Evil Grin::: It'l blend right in, in a few days....hehe hehe hehe:::Evil Grin again:::!!

I might even show her and sleep on the couch tonight....hehe hehe hehe...teach her a lesson...hehe hehe hehe......

ROFL

publius
March 9, 2003, 06:39 AM
Most people buy a t-shirt or something when on vacation. BogBabe bought a .45.

We stopped by my local gun store to check on transferring a shotgun, and she bought a Glock.

Browsing around a gun show, not really shopping for anything, she picked up a Beretta Tomcat.

Okiecruffler
March 9, 2003, 04:39 PM
Actually, The Wife doesn't have much room to complain with all of her "I Love Lucy", "I Dream of Jeanie", and "Gone With the Wind" stuff taking up space that could be used to store firearms. At least I can shoot mine. Well, I guess I could shoot some of her's.:evil:

Nah, better not, she knows where I sleep, and she's more than adaquate with her pistol. Besides, having pictures of Barbara Eden hanging around ain't necessarily a bad thang.:D

George Hill
March 9, 2003, 05:16 PM
That's not so bad. One time I went out for a Mt Dew... came home with a brand new shiny and darkly gleaming Honda Magna.

Now that was an impulse buy!

MountainPeak
March 9, 2003, 05:43 PM
bad, if the profession of the lady in your post was what I think, isn't that an impulse rent?;)

Intune
March 9, 2003, 07:46 PM
Isn't it all? Oh, oh! Duck & move, duck & move!

If you enjoyed reading about "Am I the worst impulse buyer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!