charles daly

PDA

michiganfan
March 8, 2003, 12:43 PM
got a new charles daly full size today.
Took it to the range. was so worried that it would not feed that I bought a couple of chip mccormicks. Well the two mags that came with it feed just fine. tried Wichester white box, S&B and Speer hollow points. feed everthing just fine.
Problem was there were several FTF with the hardball. Didnt get a chance to see the casings. They all fired on the second drop. What causes a failure to fire. Big problem or small problem? If its a big problem it goes basck to Davidsons. If its a small cheap problem it goes to my gunsmith. Why because the gun shoots really well and I like it and I am sorry to say a guy with not much patience for shipping and waiting. I want it now. Opinions and suggestions are always appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "charles daly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
care-less
March 8, 2003, 04:29 PM
haven't seen any good reports on the Charles Daly. Phillipine manufactured, and not in spec, so they say. I looked them over pretty good at a gun show; was not impressed. Sorry

Sisco
March 8, 2003, 04:58 PM
I've never owned or shot a Daly. A co-worker bought one, says he likes it so far. You'll find lots of varying opinions about them, good bad & indifferent.
Go over to www.1911forum.com they have a Daly board.

SouthpawShootr
March 8, 2003, 05:13 PM
Since your malfunctions were all failure to fire, I would venture that maybe the mainspring isn't quite up to par (weak). The thing is that you just can't tell from a distance what the problem is. The mainspring is cheap and if you're the least bit mechanically inclined, you can do replace it yourself (with the proper technical knowledge). As long as the Daly uses a standard mainspring (if not you may have to order the part). Problem is that if you work on it, or even have a master gunsmith work on it, you will most likely void the warranty and the manufacturer may not touch it afterwards for warranty repair. If you're not happy with it, I would take advantage of Davidson's guarantee. You'll lose use of the gun for about a month or so, but you'll be happier in the long run.

Did your failures to fire occur with just one brand of ammo? If it did, I'm betting it was S&B ammunition. In my experience it is good ammunition, but the primers have a reputation for being a bit hard. I've personally never had a problem with it in my Glocks (and striker fired guns are supposed to be where the problem is most pronounced).

BTW, I've heard lots of people say the Dalys are not in spec. This usually becomes a problem when you try to customize it. Daly factory parts will still work in it just fine. And I've seen some people who are happy with their purchases.

Good luck.

Beorn
March 8, 2003, 05:51 PM
I've been thinking of getting a Daly, but the reports I've been getting lately have me leaning more toward a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec instead... Costs a little more, but, it IS a Springfield afterall...

10-Ring
March 8, 2003, 06:08 PM
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=43

Try this link, these guys would know better about CD's ;) Good luck figuring things out.

blades67
March 9, 2003, 03:48 AM
I had a Charles Daly for a while. For a $400 gun it was a good deal. I traded it for the Kimber that I wanted in the first place, though overall I was happy with the Daly.

Johnny Guest
March 9, 2003, 04:48 AM
Often a failure to pop primers can be traced to something impeding normal interaction of parts and springs.

1. Remove firing pin and inspect/clean the spring and pin, and especially the firing pin channel. Guns sent from overseas frequently have too much heavy grease on various parts. This grease, especially if there are any tiny metal chips in it, can hold back free movement of the pin. Also, if the spring is overlong or too strong, it would slow the firing pin travel too much. It would be well to have standard US springs to compare. In any case, all the 1911 mainsprings are easily found at gun shows and are cheap.

2. Remove mainspring housing, and, using due care, disassemble it. Same remarks as above. Inspect length of the mainspring. --

3. Carefully inspect sides of the hammer under strong llight. Is it touching the hammer cut in the slide? This may necessitate replacement of hammer, or relieving the slide cut with a little file work.

Some time back, a friend bought a Chas Daly Commander length pistol through a Texas State Rifle Association program. He asked me to check it out for him. I shot around 80 rounds, factory and handloads, and it functioned welll. I did not like the full length guide rod. (Don't like 'em on ANY 1911.) Fit and finish were not particularly good, but this is to be expected with a relatively inexpensive piece. I didn't do any bench rest accuracy testing, but my off hand shooting tended to hit the informal targets well.

I later read a review by Paco Kelly at sixgunner.com, and he thought the Daly is a particularly good buy.

Good luck.
Johnny

gryphon
March 9, 2003, 06:03 PM
care-less,

me thinks that you have not been looking very hard in regards to information on the CD. There re plenty of people that have them, and I find that those who think they are junk have not really used them. I'll admit that at one time they had their share of growing pains, but the quality control on them and the materials used are much better than just a few years ago.

I have 2, and the biggest issue that I have had with either has been magazines.

WhoKnowsWho
March 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
I've never had a problem with light strikes with my CD, hope you can find out what's wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "charles daly" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!