Duplicate factory .40 round?

PDA

boogalou
February 16, 2005, 08:28 PM
Anyone know a recipe that duplicates the Remington GS 165HP factory load? Or something similar in a factory 165 grain bullet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Duplicate factory .40 round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cheygriz
February 20, 2005, 10:14 PM
There are dozens of combos that will do what you ask. I would suggest that you visit Hodgdon's web site first, then try Alliant's site. All of the major reloading manuals also have this data available.

Be aware though, that factory .40 S&W loads are high pressure, "maximum" loads and you will need to work up to them from below.

Black Snowman
February 20, 2005, 10:51 PM
What's the advertized velocity and do they mention a gun or barrel? I find most factory loads can be reached with a starting load of the powder that gives the best vel to pressure ratio (IE, the one with the highest max vel).

The GS has a thin brass jacket and a driving band, so normal JHP 165 gr data may not be totally applicable. Start low, work up. If you don't have one, get a chrono so you know when you're "there".

In 165 gr 40 S&W I like Tite-Group and Universal. Both from Hodgdon. Clean burning, low flash, consistant metering, and accurate in my experiance.

I've shot at least 4000 rounds of 165 gr ammo pushed by Universal out of my Glock 24P with Star and Rainier 165 gr TC FP bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "Duplicate factory .40 round?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!