just ordered my lee manuel with free press

PDA

trickyasafox
February 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
this seems like a pretty good deal deal to me anyone else try these?

im new to reloading, and am probably gonna get a lock and load ap but it seemed to good to say no to a nice little single stage. . . .

If you enjoyed reading about "just ordered my lee manuel with free press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
February 17, 2005, 03:01 PM
Nothing wrong with the press. It will serve as a fine platform for learning. It isn't the finest press made, but is miles easier to work than a classic lee loader.

David

HSMITH
February 17, 2005, 08:10 PM
I did the same thing a long time ago. I loaded a box or two on the press and bought good equipment. The press works, but it isn't much of a press.

The Bushmaster
February 17, 2005, 08:48 PM
I have one of those presses. Makes a good decaping press. I do all of my resizing and daping out side in a shed (lit and heated of course). It does a fine job in this service. I reload on a Lee turret in the "Gun Room".

Dave R
February 18, 2005, 12:29 AM
Congrats on jumping into the sport! The Lee press will work fine for you.

What caliber are you going to reload first?

Give us a "range report" when you shoot the first ones.

Fumbler
February 18, 2005, 01:45 AM
I think Lee is a great choice for beginners.
It's better to have some experience and know exactly what you want/need before dropping big dollars.

I use a Lee Handpress for 9mm, 357mag, and 308Win. It works great for me now, but when I have the money and when I get to the point where I want to load a lot more rounds with more accuracy then I will get a nicer one.

ftierson
February 18, 2005, 02:08 AM
And, you will really enjoy the manual...

I especially like the bullet through the windshield of the new Barracuda story...

Richard Lee is a great man, and you'll really enjoy his words...

Forrest

trickyasafox
February 18, 2005, 10:33 AM
i'd like to start with cooking up a nice 223 load for my encore, but i'd reallllly like to get an LnL ap and churn out some serious amounts of practice rounds in 9mm 45 and 38. i'd also like to eventually get some 270 22-250 and 30-06 dies. but thats reallly long term, when im not a broke college student :p i've been interested in "rolling my own" for sometime but its an intimidating jump to make. besides being expensive for initial set up(especially for the progressive i want) im more concerned with the level of safety. reloading isnt big in my area and im still trying to search out a "mentor" alls i've come up with so far is shotgun loaders, and have worked their presses, but they seem A LOT more basic then any metallic setup i've heard of.

Mr. Mysterious
February 20, 2005, 11:34 PM
Whats the cost of this deal going for right now?

WhoKnowsWho
February 21, 2005, 12:12 AM
Whats the cost of this deal going for right now?

I believe it is that $30 deal with press and manual. I think the Lee Precision page says something about it.

Magnum88C
March 6, 2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=480380

$20.49 at Midway.

Lee doesn't make stuff that's seriously strong (with the exception of their cast press), and the reason is explained in the book, but it sure does make a good setup for someone who doesn't know if they want to reload or not.

The Bushmaster
March 6, 2005, 03:16 PM
Strong? Yes. It's not as strong as Lee's cast iron single stage, but I have been resizing and de-caping every case from 9mm to .30-06 for about 20 years with mine. Starting reloading? Try it...You will like it. Be careful though. It can be habit forming. A habit that you may not be able to break. Be safe and good luck.

W Turner
March 8, 2005, 02:06 PM
Ooops, posted on the wrong thread...

Sorry,
W

wscato
March 8, 2005, 08:24 PM
That's a good one to learn on. I still have mine and still use it. I have a RCBS Bullet puller in it now.

The Bushmaster
March 8, 2005, 10:09 PM
W Turner. Your little ditty dealing with the .45, 9mm, the guy with the .40 who can't make up his mind and the ol' guy with the Mod 10 fits the bill every time. I have read of elephants being dropped with a .22 cal bullet. Bullet placement. The only way to go.

happy old sailor
March 9, 2005, 09:30 PM
a good learner. recommend a move up to the Lee turret press from there if you enjoy reloading. many ppl get the turret model and go no further because it is a little dandy and does a great job. i went on to Hornady's lnl ap and it is a very slick operator. course i have more money now and can do this. good luck with your loading experience. hope you like it, many of us do.

Stainz
March 13, 2005, 04:49 PM
The first press I ever touched was the Dillon 550B I bought 11/02. I use exclusively Lee dies... starting with .45 Colts to feed my 'habit'. I had amassed 2,700 empty cases over the years prior, so it made 'economic sense', in a weird way. It wasn't cheap, but I had bought my share of economy tools over the years - and it was worth not getting another revolver to have the 550B. Of course, it is a conspiracy, I now reload everything from 7.62 Nagant, .357/.38, .44 Russian-Magnums, to .45 ACP/AR - and those .45 Colts (... and .45 Schofield... and .454 Casull...). It is a whole new hobby. I can't wait to empty some more brass - and reload it again.

Oh yeah, I got that bingo card in a stack some time back - and pulled the card, intending to order the little reloader. Gluttony? No - it looks ideal for some one-offs - or custom re-sizing. I need some more brass from Midway, perhaps I'll call them Monday...

Stainz

PS Dillons are worth doing without other goodies for a while. Great equipment, folks, and warranty.

If you enjoyed reading about "just ordered my lee manuel with free press" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!