Aguilla IQ ammunition?

PDA

Domino
February 17, 2005, 10:20 PM
Has anyone tried the IQ ammunition from Aguilla? Its advertised as 1550 fps (65g) in 9mm, 1500 fps (95g) in .40 S&W, and 1450 fps (117g) in .45 ACP. Aguilla also claims that it penetrates in hard materials and breaks apart in soft materials. Sounds pretty cool, and even better out of a 16" barrel carbine. Any opinions or experiences?

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla IQ ammunition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
whm1974
February 17, 2005, 10:29 PM
My opinion is to stay away from exotic ammo unless it's been proven.

-Bill

Stephen A. Camp
February 17, 2005, 11:18 PM
Hello. Here are some observations on the Aguila 9mm load:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Aguila.htm

Since this was written, I've tried it in a Glock 17:

Average Velocity: 1668 ft/sec
Extreme Spread: 79
Standard Deviation: 25

In more informal expansion testing, it sometimes breaks into three roughly equal pieces and other times not. I think it is a little too eratic for me to personally trust on anything larger than a fox, raccoon, etc.

Best.

BluesBear
February 18, 2005, 05:18 AM
It's just a variation of the Triton Quik-Shok theme except Aguila uses a much lighter buller and a much higher velocity.
When it works exactly as planned it's good. But when it doesn't the pieces are a bit light for maximum effectiveness.

I wouldn't trust them for anything dangerous. (like self defense against anything over 50 pounds)

Double Naught Spy
February 18, 2005, 09:09 AM
Actually, Aguila claims good penetration, but tests with gel show this NOT to be the case.

It is fun to shoot out of a short barreled gun as it makes for an impressive muzzle flash.

If you enjoyed reading about "Aguilla IQ ammunition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!