Dilon 500 At

PDA

Holiday
February 21, 2005, 02:43 PM
Ok, this might seem silly, but I have ta ask. Other than the priming system and the powder measure, what is the big differance between the 500 At and the 550b? Does the 500 turret load only one round at a time like a Lee turret(my current press) or does it have several in various stages of loading like the 550? Both have a manual index. The reason for this is, I want to upgrad but am on a budget. I like the Sguare Deal, but I want to use the press for several calibers. Since I load Black Powder for my CAS, not having the powder measure at first won't be a problem. I can hand drop the charge.

P.S., I noticed the 500 use a univeral shell plate, and they offer a "Cowboy Cartridge" plate. Am I to assume the Cowboy plate will accomodate Cowboy alibers such as the .45Colt and .44-40 Winchester Center Fire? Thanks for any help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Dilon 500 At" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911user
February 21, 2005, 03:38 PM
The AT500 is a stripped 550B with a special shellplate. A normal 550B shellplate holds and works on 4 of the same type casing at once. The AT500 shellplate is setup for a different family of casing at each hole. So you pick the cutout that matches your case and use it to hold 1 case which you cycle through the press in 4 handle strokes (just like a lee turrent press). I'm sure the AT500 cowboy shellplate also has 4 different cutouts for different families of older cartridges.

If your goal is to end up with a 550B press, starting with an AT500 then upgrading will cost $421 vs. $349 buying one new outright (and this includes 1 coversion kit; required for each caliber). There are 4 seperate upgrade sections plus whatever caliber conversion kits you'll need.

Holiday
February 21, 2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks! Now I under stand the differance! I appreciate the information.

dmftoy1
February 21, 2005, 04:01 PM
If you can find a used one you can upgrade it and save some $. I bought one on Ebay and was able to sell the shellplate, locator buttons and funnel for $56 on Ebay and then used the money to go towards upgrades. I've got about $260 in what looks like an almost new 550b with one calibur conversion. FWIW.

Have a good one,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Dilon 500 At" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!