Radiusing snubby trigger face/edges

PDA

Sox
March 8, 2003, 09:45 PM
Is this a pretty simple "do it yourself" task, or should I leave it to the pros? I would be working on my M60 with what looks like a matte chrome finish on the trigger and hammer. Will I ruin anything by doing this myself? Predispose to rust, or component failure by compromising any hardness? Thanks for your wisdom.

If you enjoyed reading about "Radiusing snubby trigger face/edges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
March 9, 2003, 01:44 AM
You will remove the hard chrome finish which will mean you will have to watch closely for rust.
Other than this, it should not have any adverse effects since the area you will be working on is not a critical surface.

If you do this yourself, either get Jerry Kunhausen's book on Gunsmithing the S&W Revolvers, so you can disassemble the gun, OR be VERY careful to keep grit and dirt out of the action.

Better to remove the trigger from the gun. Easier to get at it, and no chance of slipping and damaging the gun.

When you're done you can also send the trigger to one of the platers, and have it replated with fresh hard chrome.

4 eyed six shooter
March 9, 2003, 12:45 PM
I radiused the trigger on my model 60 and love the result. I used a Dremil tool to take off the bulk of the material and finished with a buffing wheel. Rust has not been a problem as the surface to finely polished. An easy job to do and well worth your efforts.
Good Shooting, John K

9mmepiphany
March 10, 2003, 05:51 PM
the triggerface of my 642 has been smoothed and rounded and it makes a world of difference. i had it done when i had the action tuned, but it is certainly somthing i would consider doing myself.

the best way is to definately remove the trigger from the gun before trying this. the resaulting surface is more likely to rust due to the removal of the "flash chrome" applied to the trigger (very thin), but no more so then on blued guns

If you enjoyed reading about "Radiusing snubby trigger face/edges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!