"Dumb and Dumber" ???

PDA

David
March 9, 2003, 12:40 AM
I was at Wal Mart tonight when I saw 2 guys in the auto parts department.

One was wearing a Glock hat, and his buddy had a giant -- almost rodeo sized -- S&W belt buckle!!!:banghead:

Wow -- unless you are a range, or an event related to guns, I think you are, in my humble opinion, just plain "dumb" to wear these types of items out in public.

My friend, the recently retired cop, told me many times that he never wore anything related to law enforcement while off-duty.

I would think the same applies in this case.

Am I wrong?:neener:

Just my 2 cents...

If you enjoyed reading about ""Dumb and Dumber" ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Phyphor
March 9, 2003, 12:44 AM
Speaking for myself, I see nothing wrong with wearing shirts and hats advertising guns in public.

It'll be a sad day when you'll have to get sweated by law enforcement for the crime of wearing a hat that says "Glock" on it.

Hkmp5sd
March 9, 2003, 12:47 AM
I wear Glock, HK , TFL, etc. T-shirts and hats all of the time. I can see where a LEO might not want to wear something marking him as a cop, but gun related stuff doesn't worry me.

David
March 9, 2003, 12:48 AM
Please let me clarify my opinion:

1 -- Perhaps by wearing gun apparel, a bad guy will realize that you may be armed and either attempt to steal your firearm or, even worse, shoot you during a robbery because you might be a threat.

2 -- Wearing gun apparel might take away the element of surprise in case you may need to use your firearm in a defensive situation.:what:

Thanks...

blades67
March 9, 2003, 01:03 AM
1. You've been watching "Heat" and "Point Break" often enough you're starting to think that criminals are smart. During a robbery most won't even see you.:rolleyes:

2. If it's properly concealed, it will always be a suprise even if your shirt has a picture of your gun on it.

Relax, take a deep breath and remember that you don't have to wear a Glock hat if you don't want to. Now exhale, you're starting to turn blue.:neener:

scottgun
March 9, 2003, 01:07 AM
No big deal,

It might also show that you are a gun enthusiast. No BG is going to go after these guys, especially since there are 2 of them, no one is going to walk into a situation where the odds are overwhelmingly against them. I think more people should wear firearm related stuff. It brings it into the mainstream.

I don't wear any gun advertisements, but anyone who wants to display firearm brand names as part of their wardrobe, more power to them. They are making their statement, and it isn't a bad one.

David
March 9, 2003, 01:31 AM
My comment is based purely on "SAFETY" and has nothing to do with one's right to wear, or not wear, the hat, t-shirt, belt buckle, etc. of their choice.:D

Skunkabilly
March 9, 2003, 01:34 AM
Now, that purse with the gun imprint was a pretty darn good idea too ;)

Draw fire away from me!

CasualShooter
March 9, 2003, 02:22 AM
On the way to or from the range, I've somtimes stopped at Wal-Mart to buy shells or targets and also at my local supermarket to cash a check, even, while wearing a cap with my Local Gun Club logo and the Jean Jacket that I usually wear when I go shooting with an NRA Life Member Patch on it.:uhoh:

Does that mean I'm "just plain dumb"? :banghead:

Should I take these things off and hide them under the seat If I stop to by a box of shells? :rolleyes:

No, I don't think so. :neener:

Justin
March 9, 2003, 02:35 AM
For the most part I don't like wearing clothes with logos on them. I'll decide to become a walking billboard for somebody on the same day that they write me a check to wear the shirt. However, for those who wear gun-related clothes, I'm not going to fault them.
In some situation it may be a deterrent, in others an atractant. In still others it might not matter at all. After all, how many regular non-gun folks would recognize the logos for HK, Steyr, CZ, etc? If anything it'd probably just identify you to like-minded individuals.

Back in the day when I worked at Target I had the opportunity to complement one customer on his HK hat.:)

Skunkabilly
March 9, 2003, 02:50 AM
I only wear on range days. My HK No Compromise polo and Benelli Tactical cap are my standard range wear. They make me shoot better.

Most days I just wear whatever. I don't have any loud gun shirts in my inventory.

A guy at church liked my HK shirt and I found out he had a Desert Eagle .50AE

hksw
March 9, 2003, 03:09 AM
"1 -- Perhaps by wearing gun apparel, a bad guy will realize that you may be armed and either attempt to steal your firearm or, even worse, shoot you during a robbery because you might be a threat."

Or the bad guy might see you as a threat and prefer not to do any crimes in your presence on the chance that he may be injured or killed. Easier and more safe for him to pick on someone who he knows or thinks is not armed.

"2 -- Wearing gun apparel might take away the element of surprise in case you may need to use your firearm in a defensive situation."

I think this is just a rewording of 1.

Porter Rockwell
March 9, 2003, 03:25 AM
I'll wear my gold plated tombstone sized Freedom Arms belt buckle attached to the black basket weave metal lined gun belt(plays hell with the metal detectors!) and a black and red No Compromise H&K T-shirt over the IWB M-13. Then of course a mtching red and black H&K ball cap!
I'm off to Wally World to troll for Mall Ninjas!
Seriously Dave, the world is going to crap and a nuclear war is a distinct possibility and you're worried about what a couple rednecks are wearing??!!
Why not just approach me/them and explain your concerns?
Personally I prefer the gents in gun wear to the gangbangers with the Glocks and gold chains.
Best!

David
March 9, 2003, 04:13 AM
My point is simple:

Why give a "dirt bag" a possible heads-up you are carrying?

I think it is safer for my family and me if I don't advertise I am -- or may be -- carrying a concealed firearm.

As I said before, this is just my humble opinion.:neener:

Porter Rockwell
March 9, 2003, 05:09 AM
Hello again Dave, since you asked then it may be so disuade/avoid being mistaken for a sheeple/victim.
Clothing does make the man and many men may be accurately discribed as posers when they dress in their weekend cowboy outfit or the shiney new Harley leathers for example.
Who do you suppose the "dirt bag" will choose to attack in the parking lot?
A The Biker
B The Cowboy
C The Redneck Gun Advertiser
D The geek in neon sweats
E Insert your choice of daily wear
I'll wager a cool grand it ain't A, B or C!
It's been proven that the victim loses when attempting to outdraw an already pointed gun so if a costume could possibly help avoid an altercation then maybe....?
Thanks Dave!

David
March 9, 2003, 05:48 AM
Porter, I see your point -- interesting.

I think there was once this question posed on TFL -- if either carry method was legal, would you choose to carry open or concealed?

I believe, if my memory serves me, the great majority of posters stated that they would choose to carry concealed -- and many gave the reason that it would give them a possible tactical "advantage" (i.e. the element of surprise) in case they ever needed to use their firearm in a defensive situation.:uhoh:

I was thinking along those lines in not wanting to wear any
gun-related apparel in public -- especially those with well known brands such as Glock, S&W, etc.

That why THR is so great -- it allows us to think about this and many other firearm-related issues from all angles -- pro and con.

Thanks...

LiquidTension
March 9, 2003, 07:43 AM
This is why I love my Molon Labe hat. I wear it openly and proudly, and nobody except other gun enthusiasts knows what it means. It gets so many odd looks...I can see people thinking about it..."Why are the 'V's upside down? Wait, I still don't understand it." I'm sure once or twice someone has thought it was some kind of fraternity thing as well. It makes me laugh when I see people trying to puzzle it out. Kinda goes along with one of my more frequently used insults, most often used when someone questions my arguments: "Yeah, read a BOOK."

If I had any gun related shirts, I'd wear them. An HK polo shirt would be cool - BTW, my birthday is next month guys HINT HINT :D

Matt1911
March 9, 2003, 08:57 AM
Seen a fellow at the hardware store with a knob creek t-shirt,no, i did not think he had a machine gun....,but it did start a conversation,and it turns out he lives just a few blocks from me,and has a range in his backyard.
Now we shoot together.
When i do were gun related hats/t-shirts,i do try to be well mannered at all times.Set a good example and all

MrKandiyohi
March 9, 2003, 09:22 AM
I personally never buy an article of clothing with a logo whether it's Ford, Glock, Pepsi, Nike or Old Navy. If someone gave me something like a Glock hat, I'd wear it if I needed a hat.

In regards to others wearing firearm logoed clothing, it helps me recognize friendlies. If you want to wear it, go ahead.

standingbear
March 9, 2003, 09:26 AM
i had a macguns.com tee shirt on that i won on a bet.it has a lifelike picture of a mac10 on the front.stopped at a gas station to fill up.waiting in line, a loud harley davidson rolls in, the guy noticed the picture and struck up a conversation about macs.ended up an invite to shoot .sheeple standing around glared at me.had a blast that afternoon and made some new friends.

jsalcedo
March 9, 2003, 09:42 AM
I like pro gun clothing.

I wear Winchester, Remington and NRA caps and
3 different NRA shirts.

I'm thinking of changing my entire wardrobe to gun related.

Unisaw
March 9, 2003, 10:24 AM
I sometimes wear a Rivanna Rifle and Pistol Club t-shirt that contains the following quote across the back:

Let no man be disbarred the use of arms...Thomas Jefferson

I would like to think that it causes a few people to consider how much things have deviated from the founders' intent. I would also like to think that staying in condition yellow will allow me to spot the bad guy before he has a chance to consider the implications of my t-shirt.

TechBrute
March 9, 2003, 10:42 AM
I guess I'm "just plain dumb", because I wear firearm logo shirts regularly.

One gentleman made the comment that he doesn't like wearing logoed apparel unless he's getting paid. I think that is great. All my gun shirts were free, and so it's like I got paid the $30 I would have had to spend on a decent shirt.:D Most of my wardrobe is made up of free clothing. I just have to find some gun manufacturer that makes underwear, and I may never buy clothes again.

To be honest, I don't think the general public knows a gun shirt when they see it. It seems most people think my Glock shirt says Lock, Clock, or something else. When someone asked me what it was, I told him it says "Glock". He said, "What's that?" The average person doesn't know what HK, Blackhawk, or Eagle Industries makes, either. Also, have you honestly tried to decipher the S&W logo? Unless your shirt actually Says Smith & Wesson, it looks more like a gang tattoo gone wrong than a gun manufacturers logo.

And one more thing. Do you have something against rodeo belt buckles?:scrutiny:

CZSteve
March 9, 2003, 11:03 AM
Just some casual ramblings.

I am on the side of thought that if someone thinks you are carrying they would be LESS inclined to try something.

Premise (subjective of course:) ):
Bad guys looking to 'score' are out for an easy hit and if they have any common sense (yea, I know) will choose the 'Path of Least Resistence'.

BG walks into a fast food place and sees a LEO sitting in plain sight. Do you think he contiues w/ his plan or turns and walks out? I would imagine he would walk out unless he is mentally unstable and if that is the case; all bets are anyway and I don't think it would matter what you were wearing.

Be safe & considerate
Steve

Hkmp5sd
March 9, 2003, 11:48 AM
I've read some articles where the author recommends not advertising your interest in guns in public. Several of them even said the reason not to wear them is they may cause people to believe you are a LEO and thus draw the attention of less than honorable citizens.

Around this area, gun logos on T-shirts, hats and cars is very common. Most people don't even notice it any longer. Some of the more liberal northern and western states may prove a little less understanding.

Another reason to wear gun related logos is the pleasure of watching visiting US and Canadian snowbirds head for the hills when they see your T-shirt. When waiting in a checkout line, they either become very polite (which is the exact opposite of their normal behavior) or suddenly remember something they forgot and head back to the saftey of the crowd.

Quantrill
March 9, 2003, 12:01 PM
I rarely wear firearms related clothing or even have an NRA sticker on my car (I am an endowment member). Once my car was trashed when parked in a city neighborhood, I believe, because of the NRA sticker and a Ruger Logo. But most of all bacause of potential hassle by LEOs. In NJ, haveing a sticker on your car invites every LEO you may pass to "check" you out. I have been told by LEOs in different gunclubs that some LEO are just waiting to pull you over in order to hassle, confiscate of even arrest on any real or imagined infraction of state or local gun law. There was a case of 2 North Carolina men passing through NJ on their way to Maine for a hunting trip who were stopped, arrested, firearms confiscated and 2 fine hunting dogs left to starve in the men's car when the men were hauled off to the hoosegow. They did not have one rifle in a case in the trunk required by NJ law. No. I do not advertise who I am or what I believe in in NJ. Quantrill

XLMiguel
March 9, 2003, 12:08 PM
I have all kinds of t-shirts and/or caps with cars, beer, tourista joints etc., including some from TFL, SIG & H-K that I wear with casual stuff. When I wear the gun-related shirts, Ioccasionally get 'looks' from blissninny types, but more often I met other firearms enthusiasts or strike up a conversation with fence-sitters while in the check-out line, etc. I don't think it makes me a 'target', I see it as an opportunity to spread teh word. The others provoke no reaction at all, unless it's someone who has also been to some of the same silly bars In Jamaica, NC, where ever? All in all, it matters not.

gbelleh
March 9, 2003, 12:09 PM
A friend gave me an HK T-shirt that I wear occasionally. I figure only gun people would recognize the HK logo. I don't mind being a walking advertisement for a company who's products I enjoy using.

sctman800
March 9, 2003, 12:46 PM
I have been riding Harleys for over 25 years so guess what a good part of my wardrobe consists of. Actually I don't have any gun related tshirts, I think I will have to remedy that in the near future. I do wear my NRA hat quite often and several times this has started a conversation with a stranger while in local Harley shop. I think as a general rule Harley riders are also gun lovers, the "I will take care of myself" thing. The other thing is that they sell Harley shirts to anyone, so like the tshirt says "don't call them Bikers till you see them ride." Jim.

Sven
March 9, 2003, 01:26 PM
I like the old Firing Line shirts... very subtle. No machine gun pictures or anything of the sort, but instantly recognizable if you are 'in the club'... just like the Molon Labe gear.

Wearing my Molon Labe hat at a gun show, nobody said anything except for one guy (The Glock Doctor), who pointed to my hat and asked his wife "honey, what does that say?"... she tried to figure it out, to no avail.

He said to her, "it's a secret code", and then explained. I got a laugh out of that.

4 eyed six shooter
March 9, 2003, 01:40 PM
I wear gun logo clothing from time to time. I am proud to be a gun owner. I am clean cut and dress nice and feel I present a good image when I am out in public. I firmly belive that if a BG see's me with a gun logo on that they will find someone else who screems victim as they are walking down the street. I do not look or act like a victim. As to a BG disarming me, I will never be disarmed by someone. I am too cautious to be taken by suprise, and will defend myself to the death. I do not belive in being a victim and never will be. It's a mindset that has kept me alive.
Best to all, John K

MissileCop
March 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
I never really used to wear any firearms related clothing, but in the past several years, more such clothing has crept into my wardrobe. I've gotten to the point that I don't really give a damn what other people think. This is who I am......period.

For the blissninny's who tremble at the sight of a firearm on a shirt, I'm sorry, but their insecurities are not my concern. My only concern is their protection should they be accosted by an unfriendly while I am in the area.

Most of my shirts consist of TFL/Molon Labe shirts, AR-15.com shirts, a Dillon Aero shirt, and a Maxim Machine Gun Shoot shirt.

Oleg was nice enough to give me permission to use some of his images for my own personal use. As soon as I get some time, I'll be making a few shirts with his excellent images so I can make a few blissninnie's tremble a little more. There is no greater joy than watching a sheeple have a mental meltdown as they try to comprehend logic. :what: :p

Smoke
March 9, 2003, 03:15 PM
I have no Tshirts that say anything about firearms. I have a hat that my dealer threw in when I bought my last Para Ordnance. I wear it all the time. No one has ever commented about it at all. The Para logo is very nondescript.

I very seriously doubt that Joe Badguy trying to rob the mini-mart will notice you and your HK/Glock/ParaOrdnance/whatever Tshirt and go away. He probably wouldn't even notice you had clothes on.

Wear what you want. But don't think a logo adds to your safety.

MountainPeak
March 9, 2003, 08:29 PM
I guess I fall into the "Dumb and Dumber" category. Maybe even dumbest. I have worn gun orgs. and manufacturers' clothing/caps off and on for many years. Never had a problem other than the very rare snide remark from an anti. I look forward to those. They come almost exculsively from women. I politely express my opinion and I can't remember a time when I have gotten a response that isn't easily refuted. Mostly the remarks came from people when I lived in larger cities. I can't think of any in recent years.

CasualShooter
March 9, 2003, 09:29 PM
David, Actually, I would be surprised if a logo would generally make any difference one way or the other, except the various law enforcement logos, perhaps. There is a lot more to being an easy victum than any logos on your cap or shirt.

If you're not comfortable wearing such items, don't; but, I would be slow to criticize someone else for wearing a cap or belt buckle,:scrutiny: and would respectfully suggest that you lighten up a little. ;)

IMHO, I think most of us have better things to do than 'beat up' on each other over trivial matters. :banghead:

You have started an interesting thread, though, and I have enjoyed everyone shareing their thoughts on the subject. :)

Standing Wolf
March 9, 2003, 10:48 PM
Am I wrong?

I'd say so.

I'm personally averse to wearing anyone's logotype. I don't own a baseball cap, and never have, and never will. All my T shirts are plain white. All my belt buckles are plain buckles.

That saidâ„¢, I believe the unarmed need to see lots of armed law-abiding American citizens, and know the vast majority of firearms owners are good guys rather than the bad guys seen on the idiot box.

If I did wear firearms logotypes, I'm sure the criminals would draw the obvious conclusion: this is a man to leave alone.

Gray Peterson
March 9, 2003, 11:26 PM
D The geek in neon sweats

Hey! I resemble that remark. ;)

bad_dad_brad
March 9, 2003, 11:41 PM
Generally speaking, I wear no clothes, at least as little as possible (impossible regarding athletic shoes), that advertise the company selling said object. Especially anything controversial like owning guns.

Like putting a sign on your back that says "Kick Me." Stealth is the way to go.

Quartus
March 10, 2003, 06:27 PM
I've got this one backwards, I guess. My problem is not with criminals, AFAIK.

My father gave me a nice belt. The buckle is a reproduction of an old Deputy U.S. Marshall's badge, circa The Old West. At least, that's what it looks like. I have no idea if it's authentic.

I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I'm a Marshall, or "a Fed". :what:

Usually, and especially in some parts of the country (notably Idaho and Tennessee), the question is NOT asked in a friendly tone! :uhoh:

I'm thinking it's time to change buckles!

Maybe I'll get a Colt buckle. :D

dav
March 10, 2003, 07:03 PM
I'm with the many here who don't like to wear logo clothing. However, CrimsonTrace gave me a really nice polo shirt when I bought my LaserGrips. Black with bright red writing. I like to wear that shirt, I think it is good looking.
I am also with the, I think minority, group who would wear visible if I could as opposed to concealed.
We in the PRK have lost most of our RKBA by not being visible and vocal enough. If it were the norm for people to carry open, then it would not be a big deal. First they made us afraid to carry open, then they took away our right to carry at all.
It may be dangerous for me personally (I have no kids to worry about), but I intend to continue advertising my desire to be armed.

Sisco
March 10, 2003, 08:42 PM
Don't know if I qualify as dumb or dumber :D
Daily ball cap is a NRA, wearing a Kimber denim shirt right now. Light weight everyday jacket is a Ruger.

Niekamp
March 10, 2003, 11:13 PM
I don't currently own any firearms related clothing, however, I have seriously been considering getting some. Even getting some from companies that I don't own products from, but would like to....HK for instance. I seriously doubt that any trouble would come from doing that, other than maybe with some anti's around my college campus.:rolleyes:

N

ballistic gelatin
March 11, 2003, 12:31 AM
I'll decide to become a walking billboard for somebody on the same day that they write me a check to wear the shirtA couple weeks ago a guy came into the barber shop wearing a SigArms polo. I struck up a conversation...turns out he is a Law Enforcement Sales Rep for SigArms.

It took every ounce of restraint I had to keep from begging him for a job.

TDDude
March 11, 2003, 12:46 AM
Picture this at an indoor range. True story.
Two lanes down from me. Full cammo, brand new, never been worn or washed, covered head to neck topped with a cammo hat. Brand new shiny jump boots with leggings bloused. Web belt with canteen. Was shooting some sort of bushmaster type rifle, in black, laser sights. Wearing a tactical holster with Beretta 92, also with laser sights. Fired off several hundred rounds in just a few minutes with both rifle and pistol. He hit the paper... mostly. Looked like he was dressed for halloween. Definately not in the military cause he was too fat.

Those types make me queeeeezy.

STW
March 11, 2003, 01:04 AM
quote:
1. ....starting to think that criminals are smart. During a robbery most won't even see you.

Wasn't it a few years ago some guy walked past a parked police car into a gun shop, past the officer drinking coffee by the register, and up to the counter before waving a gun around and announcing a robbery? As I recall the combination of armed store help, armed police officer, and ccw customers brought his life of crime to an abrupt end.

I never heard if anyone was wearing a T-shirt.:p

If you enjoyed reading about ""Dumb and Dumber" ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!