Does posting a 'WTB' thread get results?

PDA

Justin
March 9, 2003, 04:57 AM
Just curious about the threads in the 'stuff for sale' section of this site, as well as others. I see a lot of ads posted by people who want to buy this or that, but don't usually see a lot of replies.

Is this because the person with something to sell contacts the poster via PM or email?

If you've posted a 'wtb' thread, how effective was it?

Inquiring minds want to know!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Does posting a 'WTB' thread get results?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sven
March 9, 2003, 09:40 AM
I got an email for one of my WTB threads, but by the time I got a hold of the guy, his friend had already sold the item.

Others have just been ignored. Can't hurt to try.

J Miller
March 9, 2003, 10:10 AM
I suppose it works for some. If you want to buy something that is commonly available.
It hasn't worked well for me though. For several months I have had add in the WTB section of numerous shooting forums for balloon head .45 Colt cases.
To date I have recieved one email from a guy who said he has (5) cases he would send me. I accepted his offer.
But if what you want is uncommon, well..................................

TechBrute
March 9, 2003, 11:02 AM
I would probably take less effort than posting this thread and reading the replies. :D

cobb
March 9, 2003, 12:26 PM
First I do a search for what I want and contact the listed seller if they still have it, want to sell it, and at what price because the price may have changed.

Then I post a WTB. Both have worked several times for me, in fact I think it works more times than not.

Sometimes a member will post a link that I didn't know about, so that can help me alot. I know some are trying to be helpful and post a link to Brownell's. I would think that most here already know about them, but I don't respond with a negative to those members because again they are just trying to be helpful, and they may be responding to one of the few that don't know about Brownell's.

So yes, a WTB works alot of times.

Redlg155
March 9, 2003, 12:40 PM
I've tried it and it does work. I would suggest that you put a price range because you get some crazy offers if you don't. :D

So far I haven't been burned in any internet transaction, althought I've turned down a few. The ones that get me are the ones like ..

Question: Good Day. I'm interested in your weapon you are selling. Could you please send a pic?

Response: Well..I don't have a digital camera right now, but I guess I could borrow one, but it's at my (take your pick...dad, brother, sister, aunt, cousins, good buddy, gunstore) right now so I couldn't get a pic real soon.

Why folks want to sell a weapon without having their ducks in a row is beyond my understanding.

Good Shooting
RED

Sven
March 9, 2003, 12:49 PM
I know some are trying to be helpful and post a link to Brownell's. I would think that most here already know about them, but I don't respond with a negative to those members because again they are just trying to be helpful, and they may be responding to one of the few that don't know about Brownell's.

Yeah... keep the future in mind - namely, that people with the same question might come across this thread in the future and find the link to Brownells and be thankful.

If you enjoyed reading about "Does posting a 'WTB' thread get results?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!