Tikka

PDA

caleb
December 31, 2002, 08:03 AM
I have made up my mind after reading for more than a few days regarding Rem, CZ, Sav, custom rifle, or Tikka. It's the Tikka sporter 308. The only problem is finding it. The only retailer I have found is out of the .308. Does anyone know of any WEB based reatiler that may carry them? I really would prefer not to go with GA, or any other type auction process. Thanks and all have a prosperous and safe new year. Caleb

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneck2
December 31, 2002, 09:07 AM
Blythes....219-462-4412. 9a -8pm Central Time. I saw a Tikka (new) on the table there. It's kinda a Dutch silent auction. Don't remember if it was .270 or .308, but the starting bid was $30 or so under dealer cost. Worth a shot (pun intended).

They'll ship to your FFL

cratz2
December 31, 2002, 01:52 PM
Much to recommend Tikkas, nice and balanced, strong action, great fit and finish. I'm trying to get one in 6.5x55 but all the distributors are out of stock.

www.EastCountyGuns.com in Washington carries Tikka and sells them on gunbroker.com Phone number is 1-360-482-6770 They don't show any in 308 on gunbroker so they're probably out of 308 as well. They have 243, 7mm-08, 25-06, 270. Lots of good calibers but no 308 or 6.5x55.

gunhill
December 31, 2002, 02:29 PM
Have also been looking to purchase a Tikka. A dealer told me Sat. before Christmas that Tikka has not been making a M-595 since fall and they are going to replace it with a model T-3??, to be out after the SHOT show. I just took it with a grain of salt but curious...anyone else heard this?

Bottom Gun
December 31, 2002, 07:54 PM
Caleb,

Your choice of a Tikka is an excellent one. Very smooth actions and real tack drivers. They are exceptional values.

Tikkas and Sakos are some of the finest shooting rifles made.

Can you tell I'm a Sako addict?

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 03:08 PM
last time I looked before Christmas. My wife didn't get the hint, unfortunately. ;)

.333 Nitro Express
January 1, 2003, 08:26 PM
It's official.

The Tikka M. 595-695 (aka "Whitetail" series) is to be gradually replaced by the T3.

The T3 is an improvement over the Whitetail in the sense that it has been made lighter (the SYnthetic model, unscoped, weighs a mere 6lbs, 3oz!), the magazine drops free and the stock features a substantial cosmetic face-lift. The integral scope rail covers the action completely and 2 WSM cartridges are being added to the line-up.

Also, it will come with aluminum rings for no extra charge.

Everything else is to remain basically the same, especially the match-grade Sako barrel, the silky-smooth bolt and the adjustable trigger. BTW, with the T3 the trigger is adjustable from the mag-well ~ no need to pop the action out of the stock any more.

Now, for 2003 only the T3 Hunter (basic blue/wood), the Lite Synthetic (blue/synthetic) and the Stainless Synthetic are being sold. The rest of the line (Deluxe, Varmint, Sporter, Leftie, Stainless Laminated etc.) are still the old but excellent Whitetail series.

Speaking of the Sporter in 6.5x55, it will be available starting in January. For all of you 6.5 fans, the 6.5x55 is also available in the basic Hunter configuration, BTW.

I was lucky enough to shoot a T3 prototype ~ a Lite Synthetic in 30-06, and I absolutely loved it. The stock is really swanky, the weight is just right and it kept all the shots within 1" at 100 yards as advertised. A nice Axis deer fell to this T3, and I am just chomping at the bit to get my mitts on a wood Hunter in 6.5!

Tom

Gewehr98
January 1, 2003, 08:38 PM
That the Master Sporter M595 is history, too? Now I gotta get busy and find one.

January 1, 2003, 08:46 PM
caleb, I would go to the Tikka website (I believe their website is part of Sako's site) and see who distributes them, then have your dealer contact them.

I have never understood dealers that do business like this. If someone comes in and wants to buy something, I would think they would get on the phone and find one to sell. My dealer will call one distributor and if they don't have it, that is the end of it. I usually end up finding one on my own and having it shipped through him. He isn't willing to make that kind of effort to make money.

TCW
January 3, 2003, 04:20 PM
I'm trying to decide between a TIkka Whitetail hunter and a SIG SHR. I'm leaning toward the SIG simply because of the amount of plastic on the underside of the Tikka. Should that be a concern?

TCW

Velitrius
January 15, 2003, 12:26 PM
TCW, do not be concerned.

I own the stainless model, and barely notice the plastic stuff. The trigger guard, magazine well, and the magazine itself (except for the spring) is all synthetic. Ditto the magazine release latch.

I too debated between these exact two rifles when I was ready to buy. The action of the Tikka was unbelievable, and I really wanted it, but was put off by all the plastic. But in the end I asked myself....

"Hey, you ain't complainin' about the ENTIRE STOCK being synthetic, are ya?"

I had to answer 'no' to that one, and I'm glad I did. I am fairly hard on my rifles, and the plastic stuff still looks and performs as new. I don't sweat it, nor should you.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tikka" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!