Brass question

PDA

vega
February 27, 2005, 12:54 AM
I picked up some 30-06 brass from an estate sale today but I don't know anything about the markings. Its says DEN and opposite that is 43. I have no idea how old the brass are but they are not that bad. I know I could bring out some shine once I put it in the thumbler. Anyone could shed out some lights on this marking?

TIA
vega

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cortland
February 27, 2005, 01:01 AM
I'd guess they're about 62 years old (2005-1943) :D

DEN = Denver Ordnance Plant, Denver, CO. " Located just outside Denver, CO this was a first wave plant operated by Remington Arms Co. from 1941 to 1944. The Denver plant was a large volume producer and made only caliber 30 ammunition."

vega
February 27, 2005, 02:02 AM
Wow, they're older than me. Is it safe to reload these cases? It looks like once-fired cases. The stampings are all very clear.

vega

musher
February 27, 2005, 12:18 PM
They would have been corrosive primed. Not sure how that affects whether they can be reloaded.

Cortland
February 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
I have a bunch of M1 Carbine cases with headstamps from downwards of 60+ years ago that I reload and shoot with no problems. YMMV.

stans
February 27, 2005, 03:30 PM
All U.S. made 30 Carbine ammo was non-corrosive, but some foreign made ammo may have used corrosive primers. As for 30-06, it was corrosively primed until the mid-1950's.

vega
February 27, 2005, 11:57 PM
I loaded 20 rounds today with 48 gn of IMR 4064. That's about 8% less than the maximum. Bullets are Remington 150 gn corklite. I just hope I could find the time to go shooting.

vega

Paul "Fitz" Jones
February 28, 2005, 02:26 AM
It had a 150 Grain FMJ bullet that with 50 grains of 4895 sent the bulllet at 2,700Fps and I shot that kind of ammo as a National Guardsman when I was in high School The only problem I ever had was with some 1917 Lewis Machine gun ammo that shredded coming out of my Garand and I had to pull pieces of brass out of my neck with pliers. I thought that aircraft Machine gun ammo would not be a problem but it sure was for this teenager.

kimbernut
February 28, 2005, 05:04 PM
Not to get off subject but:
Can .30 carbine steel cases from Eau Claire '43 be resized with regular dies,belled and reloaded just as brass or is there a possibility of damaging the dies? I'm in the process of sorting about 1300 cartridges of mixed .30 carbine. I'm sure there won't be much-it's mostly LC 4,LC51 thru 54 and a little WWC45 &WRA44

Black Snowman
February 28, 2005, 05:13 PM
I've reloaded S&B and Wolf steel cased 223. As long as it's boxer primed and has the same case capacity you should be OK.

BluesBear
March 4, 2005, 07:02 AM
I've reloaded steel cased .45acp, 30 carbine and .223. just to be safe I give them an extra spritz of "One-Shot" case lube.

I have noticed that you'll get neck cracks and mouth splits sooner with steel than you will with brass cases. ANd you CANNOT anneal steel cases like you do brass.

So just inspect the steel cases closely and you should be fine.

As for that DEN 43 ammo. I'd sacrifice 2 or 3 cases and saw them in half lengthwise and see if there is any corrosion inside. If so I'd be wary about reloading.

P14Enfield found a super deal on some corrosive WWII .Canadian .303 British ammo recently. As soon as he gets home from the range he brings a pot of fresh water to a boil, removes it from the stove, squirts in a little Dawn dish soap, dumps in the cases stirs it up good and lets it all sit for about 10-15 minutes. We deliberately left a small sample outside, in a cardboard box, on the concrete steps for an entire Pacific NorthWet typical rainy weekend and there was no sign of corrosion.

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 5, 2005, 03:39 PM
I have used some steel .45acp cases from an old shooters estate that he had used for years and I have used them for years also and have not lost one yet. They are handy to find with a magnet on a car antenna and they jump up to me out of the grass and my brass tumbler.

JA
March 5, 2005, 06:28 PM
15 years ago I had a friend give me 1400 WW II military 30-06 brass once fired in his Browning 1919A1. They were a mix of DEN,TW and RA with 42-44 dates headstamps. I shared the wealth with several other friends that owned 30-06 rifles. Resizing some of the brass was tough as you may or may not know the barrel of Browning machine gun is removed for cleaning. The barrel must be headspaced when it is reinstalled. Most owners set the headspace a little on the large size to insure 100% reliablility with any kind of ammo. This results in the cases being slightly larger so more force was needed on the press handle to resize them. After the first resizing my friends and I never had a single problem out of any of the brass even after several reloads.

If you enjoyed reading about "Brass question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!