Bushmaster Serial# Prefix Change?

PDA

Redlg155
March 9, 2003, 09:53 PM
All of the Bushmaster AR15's that I have ever bought and seen have been the L series prefix. My latest Bushy has the BF prefix.

Anyone know when they changed?

Good Shooting
RED

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Serial# Prefix Change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bad_dad_brad
March 9, 2003, 10:10 PM
Bought mine brand new in November 2002. It is an L. Couldn't tell you about the new serial numbers.

Redlg155
March 9, 2003, 10:21 PM
This one was bought in late January of this year as a complete lower.

Actually looking at it further it has a BFI prefix.

BFI 1402XXX
CAL. 223-5.56MM
MOD. XM15-E2S

Same stampings of the snake, trademark and XM17? inside of the snake. It doesn't seem like they were running out of numbers because they newer serial numbers are rather large. Perhaps they are coded instead of sequentially numbered.

Good Shooting
RED

bad_dad_brad
March 9, 2003, 10:31 PM
Interesting, I wonder if it has something to do with Bushy's made before the Maryland sniper, and after. Curious.

I am sure some THR member more knowledgeable than me will know.

Redlg155
March 11, 2003, 02:44 PM
bad_dad_brad ,

I decided to call Bushmaster today and was told by them that they started up a second factory to produce AR15s due to high demand. The new serial numbers were produced last fall at the new production facility. The older L series are still being produced at the original facility.

So now you can get a Bushy with either prefix. I'll have to do a comparison of them side by side to see if I can find any quality differences. I'm doubtful I will.

Good Shooting
RED

If you enjoyed reading about "Bushmaster Serial# Prefix Change?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!