IWB Holster Cant

PDA

Random Discharge
December 31, 2002, 09:59 AM
Can someone please help me out with the pros and cons of neutral versus FBI cant? I'm looking at the Undercover and Covert Carry IWB holsters offered by Wild Bills for a Kahr MK9. Both holsters allow tucking a shirt over the pistol. The former attaches with a belt loop, and the latter with a spring clip that can be partially hidden behind a belt. I'm leaning toward the "Covert Carry" model, but alas, I have no idea which way my holster should lean. I am slender and will wear the holster on my strong side if these are factors. Thanks for any and all advice,
R.D.

If you enjoyed reading about "IWB Holster Cant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Vern Humphrey
December 31, 2002, 10:39 AM
A forward cant will facilitate the draw a bit. It will also fit your body better -- especially if you carry as you should, with the gun behind the seam of the trousers.

Preacherman
December 31, 2002, 11:38 AM
It really depends on the position in which you'll have the holster on your body. Let's assume that your navel is at the 12 o'clock position. If you keep the holster anywhere between the 2 and 3.30 o'clock positions, a straight holster is just as quick on the draw as the FBI cant. If you position the holster further back than thhis, at or behind the 4 o'clock position, the FBI cant gives you a "straight-line" draw from that position, moving to the front of your body. For this reason, I prefer the FBI cant.

Another thing - the FBI cant can often draw the butt of the handgun into your side more tightly, thus making the gun less likely to "print" on your concealment garment. This may also be a function of the holster design, of course - a good "straight" holster will probably conceal the gun better than a lousily-executed FBI cant holster.

triggertime
December 31, 2002, 09:46 PM
Since you are slender, you may find that a holster with either a straight drop or a 5 degree cant worn at the 3:00 to 3:30 position to conceal better than a holster with an FBI cant worn father back.

Also, the short grip of the MK9 shouldn't require an FBI cant since it is pretty compact as it is.

That said, its really about personal preference and comfort.

I suggest trying both types at a gun shop before buying/ordering.

sm
January 1, 2003, 01:57 AM
Good points above
I'm 6' 170 #
use IWB from High Noon, cant, P-11
try if can good advice

Chugach
January 1, 2003, 04:24 AM
Try before you buy. Sit as well as stand.

I'm tall with a long torso and carry best at 3 o'clock. Straight drop (neutral) fits me extremely well, while FBI cant prints more and pokes me in the ribs. I couldn't have predicted that, and in fact would have guessed that an FBI cant would work better.

AK103K
January 1, 2003, 10:01 AM
For me the FBI cant works the best. The straight drop tends to print and poke out more, especially when bending over. The FBI kicks the butt more upward and inward and snuggles in that hollow just to the rear of my hip(around 4 o'clock). I think the draw is more natural too. When you sit, the butt levels out, making it easier to draw sitting too.

PCRCCW
January 2, 2003, 10:03 AM
The cant is strictly a product of carry location. When a gun is worn strong side...left or right, its typical for it to be worn behind the hip or behind 3.00 or 9.00 Oclock. When researching "natural draw movement and motion"...your hand naturally comes from below and behind the gun in this position. You pull the gun forward and up as part of this natural range of motion thus the FBI cant..its faster than a vertically held gun...your not disrupting what is natural for 99% of the shooter out there....
For strong side carry...go with an FBI cant. And practice, practice, practice.....Shoot well

If you enjoyed reading about "IWB Holster Cant" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!