What is the worst gun you have ever owned?

PDA

jsalcedo
March 9, 2003, 11:40 PM
Since many of us have been around guns for years, it is inevitable
that we have run across a true lemon at least once.

Tell us about the gun that gave you the most trouble, most innacurate, most unreliable, ugliest junker, or made the most trips to repair shop.

We all have preconcieved notions of what brands are junk, but I want to hear the anecdotes and first hand accounts of gun shop dogs.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the worst gun you have ever owned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thumbtack
March 9, 2003, 11:48 PM
I must be lucky I have never had a bad firearm. The only problems that I have had were actually caused by me.

jsalcedo
March 10, 2003, 12:02 AM
I had a Kimel industries western 6 .22 single action revolver.

It was made of pot metal and soft aluminum.

The fired shells would stick in the cylinder so badly that I had to use a table to help push the ejector rod. Later I brought a small screwdriver and tack hammer to get each fired shell out.

The action began jamming up about a month after I got it
skipping every other round, the ejector housing fell off soon after.

I took it to a couple of gunsmiths and they just laughed at my pile of junk and told me to trade it at a gunshow for parts.

I ended up trading it for a $45 Enfield jungle carbine.

cliffdropover1
March 10, 2003, 12:44 AM
Tell us about the gun that gave you the most trouble, most innacurate, most unreliable, ugliest junker, or made the most trips to repair shop.

Well. this one should certainly set off a furor. But it was a GLOCK.

HABU
March 10, 2003, 12:52 AM
My gold cup. I would off it in a heart beat save for the fact it is the only pistol I have that big bro doesn't know about. Oops, too late. Wheres the tinfoil hat smilie?

Jedi_7.62
March 10, 2003, 01:05 AM
Lorkin .380 UGH!!!!! What a piece o sheet!!!!!!
A good hammer would have made a better weapon!!!

If you could fire 4 rounds with out a failure to feed or failure to eject you were lucky!! AND if it fired anyones guess where it went!!!

What did I expect for $100?

:banghead: :cuss: :fire: :cuss: :banghead:

Gordon
March 10, 2003, 01:15 AM
A S&W Mountain gun , with lock, that I owned briefly until gun store took it back. Rear sight cut milled off center,14lb double action pull 8lb single action and gritty. I got a 629-2 'mountain gun' (says on end of blue box) and I am happy as a clam with fine piece of craftsmanship.

rick458
March 10, 2003, 05:06 AM
It pains me to say it but a 1991 Colt Commander I have spent more time on it than all my other pistols COMBINED heck my .380 AMT Backup is more reliable.
My other Colt is fantastic as is My Kimber

redneck2
March 10, 2003, 06:50 AM
.223 rifle

wouldn't chamber most factory rounds. Ones that did fire were over pressure (flat primers). Trigger was somewhere between 12-15#

Kahr carrier
March 10, 2003, 07:21 AM
Mine was a Jennings 22 it would go full auto on occassion.:)

ruger357
March 10, 2003, 08:27 AM
Raven .25. I took it apart to clean it and the insides of the frame and slide looked like swiss cheese.

illuminatus99
March 10, 2003, 08:32 AM
davis .380, ended up tossing it in a lake, if anyone wants it it's under about 300 feet of water.

Jack19
March 10, 2003, 09:29 AM
A Kimber Compact Aluminum. That thing had more issues than Sybil.

cheygriz
March 10, 2003, 09:48 AM
Ruger Mini-14! Hands down winner in this category!

WhoKnowsWho
March 10, 2003, 10:23 AM
Ever since my first gun, I research and research and ask and ask before I buy pretty much anything now. I like knowing as much as possible before I plunk down my hard earned cash. I almost bought a Davis, then read way too many bad things. Though some people would say my Glock was a bad purchase. :)

I have done quite well so far, no lemons I want to squash into sour lemonade.

Quantrill
March 10, 2003, 10:30 AM
"Pride of Spain" (POS) SXS shotgun. Fired reliably about 20 times and that was all she wrote. Gave it away and told the new owner all about it. He said he was going to try fo "remake" it with real steel and have it hardened as opposed to the Soft steel that it was made of.
I did see a Raven .25acp once and shuddered to think that somebody might actually try to shoot it. Quantrill

Elkslayer
March 10, 2003, 10:30 AM
Ruger Mini-14 without a doubt!

cslinger
March 10, 2003, 10:38 AM
Had an early Smith/Walther model with the early magazines. I had the premature lock back problem. Got rid of the gun after exhausting myself trying to fix this. I knew what it was but couldn't get anybody to fix or listen. A year later badda bing they fix the magazines like I said in the begining.

Anyhoo, I now have a Walther P99 9mm and it is downright perfect. No problems whatsoever to date.

I also had a Henry Lever action with the really crappy painted on finish that started to peal. Great gun, never malfunctioned, very accurate, slick action, fun but I couldn't deal with the finish nor could I see paying more than the cost of the gun to re-finish.

I do sometimes miss that little .22 lever though.

Chris

762x51
March 10, 2003, 11:03 AM
Universal M1 Carbine. Very inaccurate, ugly as sin.

Hand_Rifle_Guy
March 10, 2003, 11:06 AM
Got me a "Clerke First" .32 S&W nickel-plated 5-shot revolver that's a pot-metal monstrosity. Works ok, but the only thing it can hit is a barn wall when you stand inside of the barn. Inherited it brand-new (It came with a full vintage box of Remington "Kleenbore" from way back in the depths of his home-office desk.) from my grand-dad for free when he passed away, so I can't really get rid of it. Ten rounds and a bit of dry-cycling have produced significant wear on the hand and "bolt". The mainspring looks like it was cut out of a tin can with dull snips, and it's getting weaker. A true Saturday Night Special, I've seen these selling new at gunshows for $35. It's actually embarrasing to own. :o

My worst real gun is a 1917 S&W "parts-bin special". The barrel has been roughly peened on the O.D. where it meets the frame to shove metal out so the shoulder could be re-cut to align the sights, and left with hammer facets. The crane isn't filed to fit, resulting in major gap-osis where it meets the frame. The ejector rod was bent enough to make the cylinder bind. The hand is a bit short, requiring a nudge to get the cylinder in battery, DA or SA. If you don't watch it closely, it shaves big chunks of the side of FMJ's. The sideplate appears to match, but the screws vibrate out in a heartbeat from use, particularly the crane retaining screw. The gun liked to drop the cylinder in your hand between moonclips rather than expedite reloading. It's been sanded to about 400-grit with a heavy hand, and then re-blued. It's innacurate, and a lousy example of S&W craftsmanship. It also has a disurbing tendency to lock up solidly every so often, just for yuchs. All in all, quite an amazingly bad gun for a real S&W.

Dave T
March 10, 2003, 11:13 AM
Interestingly, both were five shot 44 Special revolvers.

The first was a Charter Arms Bulldog. It was one of the early stainless ones, without the barrel shroud. In firing a cylinder (five rounds) the trigger pin would start to walk. If you kept shooting it would just keep moving. I got in the habbit of pushing the pin back in after every five shots, and found that prolong shooting would make the screw in the center of the standing breech back out, eventually unlocking the gun as it blocked the cylinder's center pin from entering the breech. I gave up on Charter Arms after that.

Still liking the concept of a small 44 Special I bought a Taurus 445 a couple years after the Charter. The Taurus would hang up on one cylinder (in double action mode) right out of the box. I was not inclined to try Taurus's "Lifetime Warenty" so I traded it off.

10-Ring
March 10, 2003, 11:31 AM
It was my first firearm, one Taurus' 1st 380's.

Rusher
March 10, 2003, 11:33 AM
I hate to admit this but I bought

a........ TEC-22 about 15 years ago....the worst piece of dung.........are thet still in business?????

Rusher

YodaVader
March 10, 2003, 11:45 AM
Two guns come to mind a Marlin 1894 44 Mag bought in 1999 and a Ruger Super Redhawk bought in 2000.

Marlin - simply would not feed - PERIOD! Lever locked in the fully open position and I ended up removing the lever completely to "unlock" the rifle. Took it back to gunstore - the owner says , "It's your reloads!" Proceeds to load the entire tube with his factory ammo and with plenty of witnesses it locks up on him as well! He took it back for full credit and I ended up with a Single Six.

Ruger - ah the "Mighty Ruger." Cylinder binding occurs within the first dozen rounds. Accuracy is dismal. Cleaned the bore and the patched rod is tight going 2/3rds of the way down and it suddenly becomes extremely easy to push - bore not uniform at all. Total crap!

The thing is I owned versions of the same guns in the late 80's and had no problems at all. Both shot great.

chadintex
March 10, 2003, 12:10 PM
CETME, failed to eject every 5-6 rounds.

#7 Jungle carbine, had to beat the bolt back with a hammer because of pitting in the chamber.

Shweboner
March 10, 2003, 12:41 PM
Tanfoglio Targa GT-380 by Excam.

Jammed all the time, couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it!
Replaces mag spring, and recoil spring... same problem.
the safety lever broke in half unknown to me of course... and when disengaging the safety... it sliced my thumb open.

I fixed it up best I could... and sold it. New owner doesnt seem to have any complaints... the thing hated me.

btw... my CETME is almost the finest weapon I own, after I gave the new reciever a break-in period... she purrs like a kitten! No matter what I put in there. I love it!

~brain

chadintex
March 10, 2003, 01:00 PM
shweboner, I wish my CETME luck was as good as yours, when it did work I loved it. One day I hope to get another that funcitons 100%.

UnknownSailor
March 10, 2003, 01:09 PM
Marlin Model 60. Bought at a Gemco store, in southern California, before they went out of business. Worked fine, for a while, but now, jams every other round. Too bad, I like the thing, it's accurate as hell.

I also have an oddball gun, but it isn't necessarily bad. A Laseraim Mk II. 1911 clone, except no grip safety, and it has a hammer block safety only, on the slide, like the 3rd gen S&W autos.

Cosmoline
March 10, 2003, 01:40 PM
Beretta .45 Cougar. Kept jamming and jamming due to the very unusual rotating barrel design. It was the first firearm I owned and I've only since realized that pistols aren't supposed to stovepipe or otherwise jam every three shots!

Quartus
March 10, 2003, 01:55 PM
Mine was a Jennings 22 it would go full auto on occassion.

:confused: Kahr carrier, this is a thread about problem guns!

:D

I bought an M-1 rifle from my brother one time. He was desperate and in need of money. He has never known a thing about guns, and got the thing from a 'friend' of his who did some time in the Marines. The deal was done in a dark parking lot. It was a good price, and came with a coffee can full of ammo.

Well, the beast had been converted to use M-14 mags and shoot .308, so I thought it would be a nice peice. Until I got it into the light.

The receiver had been a de-milled. Chopped in half, then badly re-welded. The bolt face was cracked, and don't even ask about headspace. Whoever did the conversion learned gunsmithing at the local butcher shop.

So I sold it at a gun show to a dealer who was certain he had taken me badly, judging by his smirk as he handed over the cash.

I didn't tell him anything about the gun - just let him examine it and draw his own conclusions. I figured he was a dealer, and presenting himself as an expert, so caveat emptor.

I got more than I paid for it, and had a can of ammo to keep (mixed ball, AP, and tracer), so I was happy.

:D

That's the only gun I'm glad I got rid of.

Tropical Z
March 10, 2003, 02:05 PM
Ive owned four truly awful guns.In no particular order...
1.Tanfoglio GT27 (25acp)
2.Helwan 9mm
3.Intratec sport 22
4.Terva .22 revolver (Argentina)
:barf: on all 4

jsalcedo
March 10, 2003, 02:45 PM
I have to concur with the Davis .380.

I had it in my glove box for about 6 years loaded with BAT
(Blitz action trauma) I decided to take it out to the range
to see if I could hit anything.

CLICK and no boom, I rack the slide and see that the round has
no dent in the primer.

I unload the gun and try to dry fire and the gun locked up so badlyI have to dissassemble it.

after oiling and it putting it back together it managed to fire once out of 6 trigger pulls.

I let it sit for another 6 years took it out again as a joke on my shooting buddy. I tried to show him what a piece of crap it was.

It fired 100 rounds with no malfunctions and made 3.5 inch groups at 15 yards.

Maybe the gunsmith gnomes paid me a visit....

9mmepiphany
March 10, 2003, 03:07 PM
semi-auto: glock 22, it was so inaccurate it almost turned me off to the .40 calibre (but i love my 19)

wheelgun: smith m-60 between the excess weight, sharp edges (hammer and cylinder release) and it's inability to hold a group, i couldn't sell it fast enough. it actually had a sprung crane from the factory (i had it fixed before i sold it)... (yes i know how to shoot snubbies, i carry a 642)

i've also had very good luck with my jennings 22...it eats all the mini-mags i feed it

BigJake_old
March 10, 2003, 03:16 PM
Marlin model 60, My dad was plinking on our back pourch with it one saturday afternoon. stupid thing didn't fully chamber the rnd or something, but the action blew up sending bits of brass shrapnell and little pieces of the gun into his shoulder and upper torso. He wasn't seriously injured but it did require a trip to the emergency room. last model 60 i'll ever shoot.

Frohickey
March 10, 2003, 04:50 PM
Calico M-100 Sporter.

Stevie-Ray
March 10, 2003, 07:57 PM
AMT Govt. model. Nice features, all stainless, pretty accurate. No reliability whatsoever! I don't think a single full mag went through without a hitch.

GlocksRock
March 10, 2003, 09:28 PM
A Sundace Industries .25 auto.

longspurr
March 10, 2003, 10:40 PM
worst is a 45 colt/410 derringer. The 45 tumbles on the way to the target judging from the oblong holes. [distance 10-15 ft ] I tried a 2.5" 410 shell shooting at a section of pine 2x4 as a crude test of penetration [distance 4ft] . I sure am glad I had eye protection on cause most of the pellets BOUNCED off the 2x4.

The gun is reliable, I just don't know if it would do more than stun a mouse!!

I think they may make a black powder version of this gun, If so it is probably more powerful and accurate.

pbman
March 10, 2003, 11:09 PM
RG .38 and i'll sell it at a good price.

A friend gave it to me after he shot it about 50 times and the cylinder latch fell off.

Crimper-D
March 10, 2003, 11:44 PM
US made ripoff of the Steyr GB which has it's fans still yet.:
The US rep for Steyr made a ripoff copy of the Austrian pistol
and christened the big bastard the LES P-18 = a 3lb (unloaded)
weapon with a 5.5" barrel and made of stainless steel.
Black anodized stainless!
It didn't work!:fire: I bought one of the few hundred that escaped the factory before the Steyr people pulled Mr. Rogak's
liscense. That thing was CURSED!:banghead: Took it to the range, loaded it, shot it === It CAME APART ON THE FIRST SHOT!:cuss: Left me holding the frame with a mag with 17 9mm rounds still on board and the muzzle-nut about 3yds downrange, the recoil spring hanging off the muzzel and the slide partially dismounted and rocking on the hammer in a straight line for the space between my horns:evil:!!!
Sent the shards back to the factory & in due time it was returned in a supposedly repaired state. This time it lasted 5 rounds before it field-stripped itself! :fire: Lord only knows where the bullets went... no trace of em was ever found. :what:
This time when it came back fromthe factory, I took it straight to a gunshow and traded the miserable thing off for a pair of black powder duellers.:neener:
Still won't own another 9mm.:barf:

.45Ruger
March 11, 2003, 12:12 AM
H-Point 9mm te magazine release button broke so I would have to hold the mag in and rack the slide afte every shot.

Rebeldon
March 11, 2003, 12:15 AM
Kel Tec P32. This particular pistol had a problem feeding any kind of ammo, and the slide launched off the frame when I was shooting at the range. :scrutiny:

Since I just bought it, I took it back to the dealer and he replaced it. I bought a Guardian instead. It worked like a dream.

philupcolt
March 11, 2003, 12:27 AM
I'll have to admit, I haven't even heard of most of the problem guns mentioned. My worst gun was a .30 cal. M-1 carbine. It's been so long back I don't remember the make. The first round welded itself to the inside of the chamber. The extractor just by passed it. I had to dig it out in pieces, and gouged up the chamber in the process.
After getting it all out, and polishing the chamber, I fired about 20 rounds thru it with no problems, and sold it to a guy at work.

Hawkman
March 11, 2003, 09:52 AM
Springfield Armory Mil-Spec Ultra Compact. Bought it two weeks ago and I can't get it to extract reliably. I don't like it enough to screw around with tuning the extractor so I am going to dump it cheap.

And of course I will inform the buyer exactly what he is getting.

Ed
March 11, 2003, 10:46 AM
Worst was a Glock 22 Took it to the range and the thing would jam and stovepipe left and right. Took it to the dealer and told him and he told me I just wasn't holding it right. Put him and the gun in my car and drove him to the range. He shot it then offered to trade me for another, because it did the same thing to him. That Glock did a little better but still would jam. Ended up buying another G22 and it never jammed, just was very inaccurate. But Now I am in the mood for a G17 so I have not lost faith, love the 17 and 21

Scooter .45
March 11, 2003, 04:14 PM
Jennings .22 auto pistol. Jams every time. Keep it for sentimental reasons (gift from Dad, dearly departed).

tlhelmer
March 11, 2003, 06:49 PM
Early 80's Bersa .380 Jamomatic

hksw
March 11, 2003, 07:15 PM
AMT Javelina Long Slide. Not far behind was an AMT Hardballer Long Slide.

larryw
March 11, 2003, 07:25 PM
Springfield Armory TRP. When new it shot 4" high, jammed regularly and had edges so sharp I couldn't shoot it without drawing (my own) blood. Couple trips back to the factory didn't fix the problems and I got tired of their attitude, so I had a smith work on it. Only thing left of the TRP now is the frame and slide (minus the razor edges and machine marks) and it finally shoots well. Last SA product I'll ever own.

cool45auto
March 11, 2003, 08:13 PM
Hy-Point 9mm. What a piece of crap. It would jam every two or three shots. Near the end it got so bad it would eject an unfired round with an empty one!:confused:

Schuey2002
March 11, 2003, 08:45 PM
I have not had one single lemon yet.

What is a lemon??:p ;)

Average Guy
March 11, 2003, 08:58 PM
Jennings J-22. It was so pretty, sitting there in the case (it was a motorcycle shop in 29 Palms that just happened to also sell guns), and for $60 bucks, how could I go wrong? Lemme tell ya... :rolleyes:

Mine was a Jennings 22 it would go full auto on occassion.
I should be so lucky. Mine goes: POP, stovepipe.

Jennings .22 auto pistol. Jams every time. Keep it for sentimental reasons (gift from Dad, dearly departed).
I keep mine because...well, I don't know. It's not like I can SELL the thing. Maybe someday I can make a few bucks at a "buyback."

Cactus
March 11, 2003, 09:20 PM
My worst gun was a AMT Backup in .380. Little bugger wouldn't fire two rounds in a row without jamming!

standingbear
March 11, 2003, 09:25 PM
a m1600 22 semi auto i bought at a kmarts.made in the phillapines.spring loaded retractable stock shot out like an arrow..right off the gun,the fake 20 round mag, button broke off.good ol duct tape wouldnt even fix it.calico m100,the plastic helical mag melted at the front,just above where it pushed the 22 shells in.the plastic thing that i think was a recoil buffer,kept breaking,jamming it all up.a cobray pm11 that was assembled from junk parts.barrel blew up on first shot,trashed completly inside.finally,a winchester defender.new gun,firing it quickly at a retreating woodchuck when the slide stuck halfway.checked it and apparantantly something was made wrong as the slide had completly removed all the finish and gouged the mag tube to the point it was unusable.best way to turn a new 12 gauge into a ancient weatherd look in a matter of 5 shots.i did break accidently a hipoint carbine at a show when the dealer was showing me where the mag went.the grip cracked.didnt have to buy it.

gbran
March 11, 2003, 09:45 PM
I bought a Taurus 617T, 7 shot .357 snubbie titanium. It was small and light (19 oz) and I thought it would be a reliable carry gun. Turns out it was too ammo sensitive and I got tired of trying different loads. The recoil in such a light package would cause some rounds to jump out of the crimp and lock up the cyl. Occasionally a cartridge (fired) would swell up in the cyl and have to be removed with pliers. This gun wasn't cheap either. I just couldn't trust it.

454c
March 11, 2003, 09:56 PM
Another vote for Lorcin.I had a 9mm that never did shoot more than a couple shots without jamming and it was new.

commygun
March 11, 2003, 10:03 PM
Intratec Protec-25. Grossly defective right out of the box and the
only gun I've ever owned that absolutely could not be fixed.

MountainPeak
March 11, 2003, 10:44 PM
S&W .380 Sigma. I think there was an invisible thread that was put in by Smith that activated everytime you pressed the trigger. The thread moved the target a foot, right, left, up, down, when the trigger broke. I still own it. Whenever someone I dislike brags about their shooting abilities, I offer to let them shoot "the best .380" I've ever owned. It is especially good when some dick is trying to impress a new girlfriend with his shooting prowess! ;) The expressions are priceless. Come to think about it, I bought the .380 from the same guy that I talked about in "daves', problem gun" thread. :banghead:

AZTOY
March 11, 2003, 11:12 PM
HI-POINT 45:barf: :barf: :barf:

dude
March 12, 2003, 01:42 AM
Carbon 15, for a thankfully short but painfully dissapointing bit of time.........I was happy to unload it at a loss!!

Intrestingly-- I have a Taurus 617T of the kind that gbran had trouble with as described above. It shoots like a dream and has become my primary 'go to' gun. A few 1000 rounds of mostly .38 Special with a fair share of full power .357mags with no trouble (once I found out about keeping the cyl swivel retention screw tight!) Just love it!

LiquidTension
March 12, 2003, 04:45 AM
The gun that's given me the most problems is my STG58, but after I took it back to the smith that built it for me he fixed it (for free) and now it works perfectly every time.

The worst one I've seen is this little .25 that my boss wanted me to get checked out to see if it was in working order. I think the slide reads "TITAN" something or other, but I can't make out the rest of it. First of all, the safety doesn't work. Second, when you pull the slide back, it just comes off. Third, I believe it is supposed to be double action since the safety is not easily operable, but it only works when you manually cock the hammer back. Fourth, when you operate the safety, the guide rod sticks out of the front of the slide. Fifth, the frame is cracked.

This gun looks so unsafe that I'm completely unwilling to fire it. Does that make it the worst gun ever?

Tamara
March 12, 2003, 10:22 AM
Most disappointing was a nickel Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. It shot itself loose in a remarkably short period of time.

FPrice
March 12, 2003, 10:26 AM
Without a doubt it was a Grendal P10. Hard to load, HEAVY trigger pull. Lousy gun all around.

Coot
March 12, 2003, 11:15 AM
YodaVader,
I had the same problem with my 1894 which was purchased new about the same time. Ended up sending it back to Marlin, and in a couple of weeks got it returned with the slickest action you'd ever want!

Think the very worst gun I own is my 541T...bought used (buyer beware!) from a gunshow. Started out shooting 2" goups at 50yds, and many hundreds of dollars later still shoots like crap (lession #2: pick your gunsmith carefully).

Coot

Line Rider
March 12, 2003, 01:38 PM
The worst gun that I've ever owned was a Charter Arms AR-7. I had 3 firing pins and 2 extractor break on me. After 10 rounds you had to clean it.

Carlos Cabeza
March 12, 2003, 03:37 PM
Yep, another for the Lorcin 9mm :rolleyes: It weas cheap though.........:D Since then I don't buy any guns that I don't thoroughly check out and they have to cost at least 350.00...:D

goon
March 12, 2003, 08:02 PM
Has anyone else noticed that you never seem to see these little screw ups on these guns while you are looking them over in the gunshop?
Sharp edges, poor craftmanship, sprung cranes, etc.
They all seem to evade your eyes in the dim lighting of the gunshop....
Why is that?

s&w 24
March 12, 2003, 08:52 PM
the P-38 I had was a little off. It had good rifleing but throat erosion so you had to use 147 gr ammo but that didn't last long because when you were shooting it the dust cover would fly off ( bang,bang, ting, oww) and usualy the rear sight would then try to land in your mouth being free from the gun at the time. Took it back to my boss and he let me have my money back and I baught a Glock 22.

carp killer
March 12, 2003, 09:16 PM
Universal M-1

I put one box of shells thru it and the bolt carrier cracked. It was easy to fix, but a bitch to find the carrier. I sold it off for more than I paid for it.

blades67
March 12, 2003, 09:20 PM
Worst gun ever was an Auto-Ordnance 1911A1.:barf:

Lexter
March 12, 2003, 09:42 PM
The two worst guns I've owned are:

Springfield Ultra Compact V-10 (wouldn't extract worth a darn and the slid-stop notch rounded off after 100+ rounds...twice on 2 different models)

Taurus PT-140 (couldn't make it through a single mag without locking open as if finished. The slide-disassembly pin sheered off too)

Both of these were promptly disposed of!! Not sorry to see the "Bat Guano" twins leave!!!!!!

Lexter:D

Ledbetter
March 12, 2003, 10:11 PM
A mech-tech 1911 carbine conversion unit. Wouldn't feed S&B or Georgia Arms or any number of different kinds of ammo I tried.

I called them, told them what ammo I was using and their response was "Oh that's normal. It only works with really hot ammo."

Sold it to someone in another state who had his heart set on one and yes I told him it needed hot ammo to function.

I swear, literally.:cuss:

Although, when it worked, it was a blast.

mdsteele
March 12, 2003, 10:15 PM
Jennings/Bryco 380. and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge. Total Junk.

notbubba
March 12, 2003, 11:22 PM
Worst gun I've ever had was a walther p99:barf:
I was truly happy that it was stolen.

jsalcedo
March 13, 2003, 01:12 AM
That is poetic justice.
A rotten unreliable gun stolen by someone
who may try to use it.

Sven
March 13, 2003, 01:33 AM
None - I love them all.

'Buy always, sell never.'

Dex Sinister
March 13, 2003, 02:27 AM
LLama Micromax .380.

Wife bought the cursed thing new on recommendation of helpful gunsmith. Wouldn't feed an entire magazine without jamming.

Took back to helpful gunsmith, who fleeced her out of another $80 to polish the feed ramp. Still wouldn't feed, stopped locking back. Fired another 20 rounds and the damned thing coughed half a spring out of the ejector port.

Took back to "helpful" gunsmith, who accused her of dissassembly, " 'Cause there's no way that spring could have come out unless the rear sight was removed, and it has punch marks on it." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pointed out to same that weapon was alleged to be "new" when bought and that it had just been returned from him.

Waited three weeks to get pistol back from Factory gunsmith. Fired 40 rounds, still misfed, still failed to lock back, sold it for $180 loss [counting the feedramp work.]

Strangely enough, we don't buy from that gunsmith any more.

Dex :evil:

Jeff OTMG
March 17, 2003, 04:25 AM
Easy, COP .357 four barreled POS.

DE44mag
March 17, 2003, 12:16 PM
Had a Winchester m70 Pre64 feather weight in 30-06 that recoiled really bad. How bad was it? you ask. It was so bad that a guy who had an 8mm mag went back to shooting it after trying only 2 shots from this feather weight. He claimed that his 8mm mag had less recoil. And he was right.

foghornl
March 17, 2003, 01:15 PM
Don't remember the brand, but it was a snubby DA revolver in .22LR. Might have been an RG, not really sure. Fired a full box each of 3 different brands of .22LR, 150 rounds total Fed/Win Rem, never hit the 9" paper plate at 10 Yds. Hit plate twice at 2 Yds with the Fed ammo. If you stuck all of the barrel in 2-liter bottle, ya might hit the bottom of it once.

dickwholliday
March 17, 2003, 01:33 PM
The worst was an Ingram closed bolt MAC 10....the factory had it more than i did.....finally had a buddy sell it at the gunshow.......

the most recent pain in the *** is an American Derringer in 38 spec.....sent it back once because it only would shoot the top barrel occasionally.....now it is doing it again.......two of my buddies got them at the same time and both have sold them and got Bond Derringers.......

Almost forgot about my Charter Arms 2000 308 rifle.....what a POS company and gun....sent it back before i even shot it.....they must have agreed because they sent it back just like it was.......

DICK

V-fib
March 17, 2003, 01:38 PM
Taurus PT-22 After only about 2 weeks of use it literally fell apart at the range. sent the gun in pieces to Taurus and after a long visit to Taurus I traded it without even shooting it again on a Ruger SP101.

Hawk
March 17, 2003, 01:53 PM
AMT hardballer.

Taught me the meaning of terms I had previously only read about: "stovepipe", "nosedive" etc. Immune to the effects of Wilson mags - still couldn't shoot 3 in a row without an "event".

D_Burchfield
March 17, 2003, 02:01 PM
Llama 9mm POS. The slide would hang up every 4 or 5 rounds(cheap, weak spring). Had that replaced by my gunsmith who warned me that I had a POS. Only gun I owned at the time so I hung on to it. 4 or 5 rounds later the ejector came apart so I threw it into a pond on our hunting property. Haven't had a problem with it since:rolleyes: .

SoDFW Jason
March 17, 2003, 02:19 PM
Talon 9mm. Started falling apart during the first magazine fired!!

dongun
March 17, 2003, 03:43 PM
I've always thought guns were like sex. Even the worst was pretty good.

jsalcedo
October 14, 2003, 12:45 AM
Recently acquired a Wards license mosssberg .22 semiauto rifle.

It was made in the 50's and never fired. I cleaned it up and saw that the
triggerguard and the cap that held the bolt spring were made out of plastic.
*Alarm bells*

I took it out to the range ad set up at 25 yards. I don't think I made it 2 rounds without jamming.

Fiddled with the feed lips on the mag till I could get three shots in a row.

I was aiming carefully at the same spot each shot. When I looked at the target with binoculars The rifle had made a 3.5 foot 25 yard group.

Promptly traded it for a Wather P38 holster with spare mag, some shoot N see and a hand clay thrower.

Spieler
October 14, 2003, 02:04 AM
AMT Backup .45 DAO. Couldn't get through an entire 5 rd. mag without a stoppage of some sort. Tried to give it a chance by breaking it in, using different mags, ammo, etc. but it didn't matter....the gun just would not function reliably. Took it to a gun show and a dealer snapped it up from me in a heartbeat, warts and all.

Mike Irwin
October 14, 2003, 02:24 AM
AMT Backup. Hands down.

With one exception, every ATM product I ever worked with was uniformly a piece of overpriced :cuss: (word that rhymes with twit...)

gunsmith
October 14, 2003, 07:03 AM
davis derringer .32acp with a 100lb trigger pull and not accurate after one inch.
an Arcus 94 high power copy,while accurate the safety didn't work
and I ended up shooting my radio:uhoh:

Jack19
October 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
Kimber Compact Aluminum. Wouldn't slidelock, wouldn't eject reliably, and it was only marginally accurate, even from a bench. And, customer service from Kimber was more difficult than getting blood from a turnip. :barf: :barf: :barf:

Dave Markowitz
October 14, 2003, 08:37 AM
Saiga Sporter converted by Hesse to AK-103 configuration. It worked flawlessly for the first 150 rounds or so, then started to not want to fire. I.e., I'll pull the trigger and the hammer will not drop. :banghead:

I'm pretty sure the cause is whatever US compliance parts Hesse used inside, so I plan to yank them and install a G2 fire control group from Tapco.

Black Snowman
October 14, 2003, 09:46 AM
I've never had a troublesome gun but I've been around quite a few. The closest thing I've had is my DPMS scope mount for my FAL wanna-be interfering with it's bolt-carrier. But that wasn't the guns fault entirely. Just that the scope mount was made for a different upper receiver and wasn't clearanced correctly for mine.

I've seen old gummed-up shotguns, bent springs, cylinders that wouldn't rotate, rifles with seers that wouldn't catch, bores so badly corroded that minute of pie plate at 50 yards was nearly impossible to achieve.

don10m
April 16, 2005, 02:45 AM
Walther PPK it was the biggest piece of JUNK I have ever shot, you couldnt give me another one

Harry Paget Flashman
April 16, 2005, 04:28 PM
Talk about poetic justice. I went on emergency leave in 1974 to visit my ailing Dad and left an attache case full of reloaded .38 Spcl and .45-70 in the back seat of my car. It got stolen while I was gone. While it isn't a safe practice, I loaded the .38 brass up to .357 specs and the .45-70 I loaded with 50 grains of IMR 3031 and 500gr lead bullets. It was a super hot load I'd worked up for my H&R 'Shikari' rifle which had a breech like a cannon. It shot like I imagine a .458 mag would. I always fantasized about the thief unknowing turning his firearm into a hand-held pipe bomb. It is also the reason I don't shoot someone else's reloads.

Tom Servo
April 16, 2005, 05:07 PM
RG .38 and i'll sell it at a good price.
Already got one, but in .22. Mind you, I didn't buy it. It belonged to my boss, a DC transplant. He had gotten it from "a guy my friend knew" and kept it for home protection.

I was going shooting with a few friends, and I offered to take it along and test it. First problem: the sights. I had to ignore the front sight because it was so misaligned (and of course, not adjustable). Even then, I couldn't get it to hit an 8x11" piece of paper at 10 feet.

Of course, it might have been easier if I could've gotten it to fire more than once consecutively. As a matter of fact, I had to rotate through the cylinder several times just to fire all 5 chambered rounds. I actually gathered a crowd of onlookers while doing my little "click-click-click-BANG-click-click" drill.

Did I mention this was for home defense?

I gave my boss twenty bucks for it, lest he ever be tempted to try and use it for self-defense. So, technically, I do own it now, though I couldn't sell it to anyone with a clear conscience. Hopefully, one of those "gun buybacks" will come around soon.

Cascade Hunter
April 16, 2005, 05:09 PM
A Ruger No 1 in .220 Swift. That thing wouldn't hold a group inside 2 inches at 100 yards.

Pointman
April 16, 2005, 06:26 PM
Squire Bingham .22 auto rifle from Service Merchandise in the early 80's. The pot metal firing pin broke before it even finished the first box of ammo. Took it back and, despite their no-returns policy, exchanged for another figuring it was a fluke. Nope. 2nd did the samething. Took it back again and paid the extra $50 for Ruger 10/22.

Another was a Glock 21, supposedly a factory rebuild police trade in. I couldn't hit that gun with the broad side of a barn but never jammed. By the time I got rid of it I was able to get $150 each for the 6 13+2rnd mags though :neener:

A Daisy PowerLine pump that kept shooting out the little magnetic rod on the end of the bolt that held the BB in place. Went through 3 exchanges (Target when they were still Airway) before getting a Crossman 760 instead which I still have sitting by the door (25 years later).

Bear Gulch
April 16, 2005, 06:58 PM
STar PD in .45

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
April 16, 2005, 08:04 PM
My brother had an RG 38 that fired exactly 3 rounds before locking up. The cylinder was so poorly timed that he was spattered with lead and burning powder on his shooting hand, but didn't really notice until later because he was wearing work gloves to get a better grip on the thing. Within 10 minutes it was tossed deep into the woods in the Sabine riverbottom bogs.

I picked up a Spanish Mauser that was rechambered to .308 or more likely 7.62 CETME. I put it in a firing fixture and fired 3 rounds with a lanyard from behind good cover. It took a cheater pipe to manipulate the bolt after each round was touched off. Seems to me like I used it for trading material and I gave the trader a warning about the little problem.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Gewehr98
April 16, 2005, 08:08 PM
1. Ruger Mini-14
2. Ruger Mini-30
3. Marlin Camp 45
4. Glock 17
5. Charter Arms AR-7

Luckily, the money from their sales went to better firearms. ;)

MoeMentum
April 16, 2005, 09:01 PM
.22 Stirling , a real jam master...

KLR
April 16, 2005, 09:45 PM
Two Kel-Tecs, a P-11 and a P-32. The P-11's slide cracked at the breech after 100 rounds. They don't manufacture stainless slides anymore. The P-32's trigger pull kept getting longer. Finally got to the point where the trigger would be all the way back without the hammer falling. Had both replaced by Kel-Tec and took a credit from the gun shop. Swore off of Kel-Tecs.

And yet, I find myself strangely attracted to the idea of an SU-16C fitted with the D model forend. :confused:

deciple-of-keith
April 17, 2005, 01:00 PM
AH! Where does one start?But seriosly folks .The biggest heap of Cammel dung .I ever had the mis fortune to posess was a6.5 Carcano. Yep :banghead: I was working in a working in a big shooting camp and one of the other blokes pointed out an advert for Ex-military Italian service rifles ......$45.00 + 100rds of ammo .This sould have been a warning to us but no we all brought em and we all sold em wth about 90rds of ammo to any fool who'd take em

Gewehr98
April 17, 2005, 01:55 PM
The biggest heap of Cammel dung .I ever had the mis fortune to posess was a6.5 Carcano.
The 6.5mm Italian Mannlicher-Carcano rifle has the potential to be an excellent varmint rifle. Note the performance of said cartridge and rifle on 22 November 1963.

deciple-of-keith
April 18, 2005, 03:03 AM
The 6.5mm Italian Mannlicher-Carcano rifle has the potential to be an excellent varmint rifle. Note the performance of said cartridge and rifle on 22 November 1963.

Funny thing :scrutiny: :confused: .I don't think they ever found any Spent 6.5 x52s,on any "Grassy Knolls " did they ? I was always under the imprestion that Larger Varmits were classed as thin skined ferals and a 30-06 was prefreable :D

TheOtherOne
April 18, 2005, 03:09 AM
Walther P22. It's the only gun I own that is picky about the brand of ammo it has to have. It's the only gun that I've had to send back. It started falling apart and they just sent me a brand new one which shoots remington bulk ammo okay and federal bulk hardly at all. I have to use the expensive ammo if I want to shoot an entire magazine without at least one or two jams.

pezo
April 18, 2005, 03:13 AM
I never understood the concept of the "cop" .357 . Why not just buy a 5 shot .357 snubbie? :confused:

MAKOwner
April 18, 2005, 06:39 AM
I'd have to say my old Intratec Tec-22 was the worst firearm I've ever owned. Rounds would keyhole into the target at anything over 10 yards. The firing pin also snapped clearn in half one time at the range...

However, I still actually liked it. It had such a short trigger, w/ barely any travel/no over travel, that I could perform something similar to bump firing with it and literally empty the 30 round mag at a full-auto-type rate. Made it quite entertaining firing cheap .22lr rounds... Plus I liked the overall dirt simple design and the fact that it used 10/22 mags. If only it didn't shoot tumbling bullets I'd probably still have it... It was just a fun blaster...

medmo
April 19, 2005, 03:33 AM
Universal M1 Carbine. I hated it and it obviously hated me. It finally stopped jamming and just blew up spewing teeny operating rod parts into my forehead. Safety glasses are a good thing.

BTW - The COP 357 mag had nothing to with practicality. It just looked REALLY cool. Wish I still owned mine.

cracked butt
April 19, 2005, 04:29 AM
Remington 597 jammomatic. Sold the POS.

Yugo M48- safety doesn't work, trigger is dangerously light. OK for bench shooting, but not really good for anything else.

Mornard
April 19, 2005, 05:15 PM
Well, I find it personally interesting that the 4 biggest pieces of crap I've had were all .380 automatics. One Llama, which was so badly mis-timed it spattered me with hot powder and gas when extracting, one I can't remember made in ********** that never, never, never fed, even after a new clip and trip back to the factory, a FIE copy that split the frame in half whilst firing factory ammo, and another FIE that just was carp. or crap. (The new one I bought, a Hungarian FEG, is a pretty darn good gun...so far. )

sigman69
April 20, 2005, 02:54 PM
I have never had the luck of having a bad gun...but my friend sure has....I remember his taurus titanium tracker 357...one cylinder and it locked up....got it fixed and traded it off....he also had guns in the early 80's...smith autos that were junk...never jammed on the 9mm ammo but was so inaccurate.

Gewehr98
April 20, 2005, 05:44 PM
I don't think they ever found any Spent 6.5 x52s,on any "Grassy Knolls " did they ? I was always under the imprestion that Larger Varmits were classed as thin skined ferals and a 30-06 was prefreable

Because I know for a FACT that folks have found .30-06 Springfield, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, and .257 Roberts brass on that grassy knoll. And when I make my yearly pilgramage there again this year, it'll probably be .30-30 Winchester brass they find. Ask me how I know... :evil:

kbheiner7
April 20, 2005, 07:12 PM
The worst: Browning BPS 12 ga. absolute dog of a shotgun. Threw it in the river once when it jammed as 40 canada geese took off only 10 yards away. My buddy talked be into retrieving it so I could trade it in on a real gun. It's a darn shame - the product they are stamping John M. Browning's name on these days. :cuss:

SigPacker
April 20, 2005, 08:05 PM
Ugh... jam-O-Matic... well at least it teaches the noo-b shooter how to clear a FTF/FTE/Stove Pipe..etc...

:cuss:

SP

Mil-surplus Caveman
September 5, 2005, 03:29 PM
"Mine was a Jennings 22 it would go full auto on occassion.
Right on both counts.I had a Jennings J22. It was a cool looking little thing and I carried it in a nylon holster all weekend once and my camping friends did not realise that I had a gun! LOL It was inaccurate and jammed almost every time I tried to shoot it. Looking back I should have tried new mags or working on the mag. Almost every .45 jam I have ever had was the result of a bad mag. The long high cap .45 mags for 1911s are the worst.

Crom
September 5, 2005, 03:53 PM
Llama 44 Magnum Super Commanche. Cylinder binding after the first round with any 44 Magnum factory load. Could only get it to function with 44 Specials.

Shot 6 inches to the right at 20 yards no matter how the rear sight was adjusted.

Traded it in for an M1-Garand. Good riddance.

Joe Gunns
September 5, 2005, 05:21 PM
That "air force" survival semi-auto .22 rifle that packed in its floating plastic stock. Got one around 1972. This thing jammed so much it was basically a single shot. Neither the gunsmith nor I could get it to function with any reliability. I traded it for a little 2-man tent.

thorn726
September 5, 2005, 05:50 PM
that would be the 1967 odd brand derringer- idiot who found it in this house we were cleaning (im boss) tried to load it (why why why i will never figure out) and put a .22 thru his hand. i gave the gun to a collector for safekeeping.

so tiny and no trigger guard, just not very safe for anything other than shooting someone under a poker table, and i think that went out with the pony express

newfalguy101
September 5, 2005, 06:05 PM
I had Davis disease embarrasingly enough not once but TWICE!!!!!!!

1) D-380 auto, I dont think I EVER got through an entire magazine without either a stovepipe jam or the magazine popping out.

2) D-38 derringer, .38 SPL took two men and a boy to actually fire the thing the trigger was so heavy.

NEVER again, and THIS time I mean it :neener:

stevekl
September 5, 2005, 06:36 PM
S&W 686

Whenever I say this, people punch me in the face in a fit of pro-S&W patriotic rage, leaving me bruised and senseless. But damn it, it's true. It is the worst gun experience i've had. Wether or not it was a true 'lemon' or if it was just a factory mistake is immaterial. It's the worst gun i've owned, and that's a fact.

In case anyone cares, the cylinder binded (bound?) in double action mode, and it was sent back to the factory three times, and was never fixed.

chris in va
September 5, 2005, 06:48 PM
Holy resurrected thread Batman.

captain obvious
September 5, 2005, 07:51 PM
I had a 12 Gauge NEF pardner once - 5 slugs later my shoulder hurt... A LOT and the stock was coming loose.

I don't sell many guns, but that one is long gone.

japlin
September 5, 2005, 09:50 PM
Colt 1911 Officer Model...the biggest POS I ever had, and two different gunsmiths couldn't make it shoot without jamming. :fire:

MikeJackmin
September 5, 2005, 10:45 PM
A Daisy .22 rifle (rimfire, not an air rifle). Made of pot metal. So poorly constructed I refused to fix it or sell it, I just pounded it to scrap as a service to humanity.

Chrontius
September 6, 2005, 01:51 AM
Kel-Tec p-3at. 31 rounds fired, 5 failed to eject.

Took it home, cleaned it up, noticed that there's a little metal part missing, according to the exploded diagram.

Seems that my FFL had dismantled it for inspection and left out that little piece -- I had been shooting it without an ejector (which was fortunately under the manual). Still need to see how it behaves when it's not broken, though I know at least two of those FTEs were me limp-wristing.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the worst gun you have ever owned?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!