"Have you ever 'carried' in high school" ???

PDA

David
March 9, 2003, 11:50 PM
Funny, sometimes I can't help find humor in the way things are today.

If a student is found with an aspirin on their person, they are sometimes expelled from school.

When I was in high school in the early '80s in upstate NY, I was a member of the school's rifle team.

I carried my .22 target rifle in its case to school.

Secured it in my locker with my trusty school-issued Master lock.

I finished my day's classes.

I removed my rifle from the locker.

Waited at the public bus stop with my rifle.

Took a public bus with my rifle to the range where we had our weekly practice.

While doing all this with my rifle, I didn't even get a second look from my teachers, fellow students, the local police -- no one!

Boy, have things changed!!!

:what:

Just my 2 cents...

If you enjoyed reading about ""Have you ever 'carried' in high school" ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skunkabilly
March 9, 2003, 11:59 PM
Just a Swiss Army Knife. Used to help the Social Studies dept fix their computer.

Standing Wolf
March 10, 2003, 12:01 AM
A week or ten days after John F. Kennedy was assassinated, a fellow high school student brought his Manlicher-Cacano (sp?) to school. The assistant principal stopped him at the front door to verify the rifle was unloaded, shouldered it and sighted on the brass eagle atop the flag pole, and suggested he keep it in his locker until history class. Most of us guys in the fifth hour history class admired it; most of the girls made faces. He walked home from school with it. Nobody died. Nobody was injured. The police didn't show up. Nothing happened.

Zundfolge
March 10, 2003, 12:08 AM
Hell I had a shotgun in the trunk of my car much of my senior year of highschool (1987)

didn't think anything of it either

:scrutiny:

jsalcedo
March 10, 2003, 12:11 AM
I took my SKS to wood shop in the 11th grade so I could repair
and put some bedding in the stock.

The shop teacher was a gun nut and encouraged his students to make gun cabinets, pistol cases and rifle racks.

He used to bring in his new purchases for the gun loving kids to check out.

Some guys would bring their guns to the school parking lot
for impromptu show and tell.

I'm not aware of anyone actually carrying anything other than a buck knife.

Greg L
March 10, 2003, 12:22 AM
Like Skunk, a SAK resided in my pocket for most of my scholastic time.

Greg

Gordon
March 10, 2003, 01:20 AM
I took winchester mod 52 target rifle to HS in 1961-62 shot on rifle team. I did have this weird old .410 double barrel shot gun pistol (I believe a Gevelot) under seat of my MGTC during senior year in NEW JERSEY:what:

Big_R
March 10, 2003, 01:43 AM
I had a shotgun behind the seat in my truck since I started driving until I graduated H.S. (1989). I had been known to carry a folding knife during that time also. No one cared. In fact, it was uncommon for the "sportsmen" to not have a shotgun. Many days after school, we would hit public hunting grounds especially during pheasant season.

I returned to college in January, and was reading the weapons rules. They state you can have a "hunting firearm" in your vehicle on school property as long as you are in compliance with state law. You still cannot CCW on the property, no that it matters since MN doesn't have a decent CCW anyway. Maybe that will change soon.

Ryan

NotQuiteSane
March 10, 2003, 03:58 AM
Yep. every day since I was 15.

Then went out of my way to avoid trouble

NQS

jmbg29
March 10, 2003, 04:33 AM
"Have you ever 'carried' in high school" ??? Is the Pope Catholic? ;)

Fatcat
March 10, 2003, 07:06 AM
Indeed, an Al Mar SERE 2K resides in my pocket each day. Heck, I still see some people with shotguns or .22's in their trucks. We're a pretty "backwards" school by most standards, though. :D (Though the new principal is trying her hardest to change that.. :eek: )

AK103K
March 10, 2003, 07:12 AM
When I was in high school, America was still pretty free. As a kid you could walk to school with your gun, have it your car, or in your locker. Boy have things changed! Now your kids cant even draw a pic of a gun or talk about them without getting into trouble, having to go see the school shrink and having the school call home. Just wearing one of the 7.62 Design tee shirts was pretty much cause to be sent home. The way things are going, how does Bush expect to fight a war with America being such a bunch of pussies? They will have guns, knives and bombs there, and not a principal or school shrink in sight! :) Hate to say it boys, we are no longer free, and its only going to get worse, so you better get used to it. If we are going to fight a war, maybe it should be here first, to take back our country.

Kahr carrier
March 10, 2003, 07:15 AM
Just a Buck 110 folding hunter and occasionally a butterfly knife.:)

Quantrill
March 10, 2003, 10:46 AM
I took public transportation from my home in the Phila suburbs into the city taking both a bus and a trolley car with a .22 rifle in a case and a box with accesories. Another young man of 12 usually accompanied me. No body ever said a word. I would not want to try it now. Quantrill

KMKeller
March 10, 2003, 10:59 AM
My classmates and teachers use to bring their knives, hunting and chef, to me at school for sharpening.

LawDog
March 10, 2003, 11:10 AM
*sigh*

During deer season there would be more guns at school than at the last recent gun show I went to.

Nobody got killed. No negligent discharges. No drama.

*sigh*

LawDog

Neal Bloom
March 10, 2003, 11:11 AM
Back in the late 60's and early 70's lots of people took guns to school. During hunting season the parking lot was filled with trucks and rifle racks. Times have changed.

TheFrontRange
March 10, 2003, 11:29 AM
While I never actually carried at school, outside of school I packed a Crosman Model 38T .177 caliber pellet revolver! The 38T was the six-inch barrelled model that was pretty much a ringer for a Smith 19, but of course I likened it more to a Model 29 a'la "Dirty Harry"...with my Dad's help I even fashioned a home-grown shoulder holster using a Crosman belt holster, an old belt, and some boot laces...wore all that under a BDU jacket or windbreaker. Sometimes I'd carry small-of-back under an untucked shirt...sure wasn't going anywhere where I planned to sit down when I carried like that!

My Dirty Harry alter-ego departed, though, once I started driving and dating hahaha... :D ....ahhh, those early to mid '80s...

thowell
March 10, 2003, 11:30 AM
I've been lurking here lately, but I had to register just so I could reply to this post.

I attended a small rural private school in NC. Graduated in '92
Plenty of rifles and shotguns in the parking lot, especially during hunting season. I remember rifles being worked on in shop class. Bringing in knives to show the English teacher... etc.

But my best memories are of the Turkey Shoots that occured on the football field during the fall festival. Kids and their fathers walking around the school with shotguns and actually shooting on the football field. WooHoo No rampages, no injuries. A good time was had by all.

A few years ago, one of the other private schools in the area caught the attention of the national media when they had a gun raffle. It really brought home to me the differences between the way I grew up and the rest of the world.

Ebbtide
March 10, 2003, 12:14 PM
For my communications and media class I shot (as in filmed) a fake commercial using four surplus m-1 garands, and a home made flame thower (instant-start and a match).

Kept those in my locker for weeks as we filmed during class and out in the park. I did get an A+ on the project.

From time to time I pull out the 8mm (movie) and get a laugh. Then I cry when I see the old garands being beat to hell by me and my friends. Too bad I let my dad give them away (came from an estate sale in the 70s), I think they were traded for some alluminum siding).

synoptic
March 10, 2003, 12:26 PM
I was given special permission to carry a Mace and a partial sword onto campus once for a history presentation, other than that I usually carried some sort of small pocket knife. I just graduated 3 years ago though so if someone had a weapon in their car or locker it was kept quiet.

Poodleshooter
March 10, 2003, 12:50 PM
At a private school in MD in the mid-'90's a friend of mine was allowed to give a demonstration speech on firearms cleaning and dissasembly. He used a Colt Gold Cup, a Colt Anaconda and an Action Arms micro Uzi pistol. The speech teacher kept them in her desk till the speech. I brought my shotgun to school in order to go squirrel hunting after class. It stayed in my trunk all day.

Blackhawk
March 10, 2003, 01:02 PM
Boy, have things changed!!!They sure have! In the late '50s-early '60s, zero attention was paid to what students carried or had. 'Course other things were different too.... :(

JohnK
March 10, 2003, 01:08 PM
Never a firearm, but it was VERY common for me and many others to have a large Buck or Schrade folding knife on our belt. No one thought it strange, and as I recall there wasn't a single incident because of it.

Hemicuda
March 10, 2003, 01:33 PM
I re-stocked (Fajen Sporter in-the-rough) a Mauser in HIgh School shop class, then test-fired it for accuracy, from another student's "project" (a shooting bench) out the roll-up door of the school, @ a target 100 yards away, set against a hill, well behind any occupied portion of the property (me and the bench maker both got A+ grades)

Took a Ruger MK1 to college drafting class to make a "dissasembled take-down" drawing... all the parts seperated, but in-line, with a center-line locating them... right down to the last spring and pin, in the corect location... hadta take it in and have it IN FRONT of me for measuring...

Okiecruffler
March 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
Had a bolt action 20ga. behind the seat of my Ranchero (now there's a chick magnet) all thru highschool. I had a history teacher who used to come get me out of class to ask if he could borrow it. I was what my councilor called a "hot head" and I don't think a week went by without me getting into some kind of shoving match with someone. Strangely enough I never even thought of shooting someone. My father would not have approved. I think parents were different then.

Kevlarman
March 10, 2003, 06:56 PM
I was in 4th grade and brought in a live 9mm cartridge for show and tell (yeah yeah, I know :rolleyes:). Didn't get in trouble, but the teacher told me not to bring in anymore live ammo without first asking. :D

In my Junior year in highschool I had my SAK at the food drive. I was cutting up onions. Teacher saw me and told me to give it to her. Didn't get in trouble that time, but never got my knife back either.

Again Junior year. I was on an ASB trip to the local homeless shelter to help make food and pass it out, etc. Had my Benchmade with my with just the pocket clip exposed in my front pocket. Janitor who happened to come along on that trip saw it and brought me around the corner to pat me down. He confiscated my Benchmade and my Leatherman Micra. Got 5-days suspension for that, but was not recommended for an explusion hearing because of my outstanding behavior in school.

Times have changed.
:barf:

TarpleyG
March 10, 2003, 07:35 PM
David,

All that and you didn't even kill anyone? Wow, what control.

GT

garrettwc
March 10, 2003, 09:06 PM
Almost everybody had a Buck folder on their belt.

You could tell the start of deer season by the number of muddy trucks with loaded gun racks in the rear window.

There used to be a popular "capture the flag" kind of game called Gotcha that we all played. There was even a movie about it. We all had little rubber dart pistols that we carried around. At the beginning of the year we all drew names. The idea was to do a "hit" on the person whose name you drew. You then took over their target list. It was moderated and ran the whole school year. The winner was the guy who survived.

If you tried that now the SWAT team would get called, and Peter Jennings would be doing special reports from the school parking lot for weeks.

My how my small town has changed.

JohnK
March 10, 2003, 10:02 PM
I remember that game garretwc, we played the same thing although it was called TAG (The Assassination Game). The name alone would be enough to get kids expelled today.

To the best of my knowledge none of the people who played that have been involved in a shooting either.

Gnull
March 10, 2003, 10:09 PM
Well.. Im still a young'un (20) and here I would have been arrested on the spot for even entertaining the notion of perhaps even thinking of possibly carrying in school(we had a Police station across the street too) You were not even allowed to bring anything that even resembled a weapon of any kind. Even butter knives were grounds for expulsion. I'm sure even talking aloud about firearms would have at least got me sent to the school councilor. :(

garrettwc
March 10, 2003, 10:34 PM
I remember that game garretwc, we played the same thing although it was called TAG (The Assassination Game). The name alone would be enough to get kids expelled today.

To the best of my knowledge none of the people who played that have been involved in a shooting either.

That's right! it was called TAG. Gotcha was the name of the movie(I looked it up at Amazon).

Yeah, no bad endings in my group either. Out of our TAG unit, we now have a bank president, and two small business owners, among other things. :p

Kcustom45
March 10, 2003, 11:08 PM
I graduated high school in 2001 so things were already pretty bad. I did however occasionally forget I had my Cold Steel folder in my pocket. Cordex and I actually did a video for our German class in which we advertised hearing protection.
It opened showing me shooting a G3 and him shooting a Colt 45. The teacher didn't show it in class, but if I remember correctly we got a good grade.

Crimper-D
March 11, 2003, 12:14 AM
For a history class... the teacher was a WWII & Korea vet who had toted one in France.
It was a Deactivated War Trophy... My only problem was getting the gun back from the teacher:evil:

Andrew Wyatt
March 11, 2003, 12:26 AM
I refinished the stock of my 20 gauge topper in junior high for a woodshop project, in 96.

I was lucky, because my woodshop teacher is a pretty big shotgun hunter.

Peter Gun
March 11, 2003, 12:45 AM
I went to high school in super liberal land after Pc took off. silver Spring, MD in '80's. We played TAG and the principal forbid the game. I was suspended one day because we refused to stop playing. Interestingly enough when I was sent to the office, no one noticed the three knives I always carried that would get me expelled. That schools administration had a real knack for focusing on the unimportant facets of student life.

STW
March 11, 2003, 12:50 AM
My only question is how did those carrying knives manage to wait until high school? I've been carrying some type of knife since 2nd grade and have worn out the handles of some just from the friction of the pocket rubbing on them. I do remember a guy bringing a shotgun to a speech class in college to explain how to clean it. The teacher suggested it might not be something he should do again. That was 30 years ago at UC Davis. They'd probably arrest him at the city line now that town has gotten so liberal.:(

Peter Gun
March 11, 2003, 01:22 AM
I dont think anyone mentioned STARTING to carry in high school.;)
I might have been a slow starte, though, as I was not allowed a knife until I was 12.

10-Ring
March 11, 2003, 02:24 AM
No, not in high school. But later, when I moved to Southern CA for college, I started carrying...more so in the beginning when I didn't know many people or many places.

inthefork
March 11, 2003, 02:37 AM
When I was about 10, I carried gus to school for show and tell. A Krieghoff drilling, an svt 40, and a couple others. This was around 75 or 76. It was no big deal then. The world has gone mad.

m16

Britt
March 11, 2003, 04:06 AM
What amazes me is not just how much things change, but just how quickly as well. I graduated high school in '92 and did in fact carry a Winchester 52 to and from school for rifle team practice as early as 8th grade. By the time I was in high school a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 was a constant companion in my truck from September through February. Then again, this was in West Texas and bird hunting is a quasi-religious experience in my family. Only trouble that ever happened was one day when all pocket knives were officially "banned" from schools. The principal took them up and returned them at the end of the day. Nothing was ever said about them afterwards and I doubt if too many quit carrying them altogether. Having done so since the ripe old age of 8, I certainly didn't. Just didn't mention it too loudly either. BD

4570Rick
March 11, 2003, 06:10 AM
In my Jr. year in school, I made a pair of Broad Swards, sabor ground and razor sharp. Got an A+ in machine shop.

Then I started making cannons. Little brass reproductions at first, then working models out of steel.

The high point was when I finished my .75 cal smooth bore and fired it...at school!!!

Did I mention I went to HS in Left Angeles.:what: :neener: :evil:

charleym3
March 11, 2003, 09:23 AM
I went to HS in the mid 70s. There was an atmosphere of unrest in those days. A significant number of the student body was armed. Including some folks that no-one would ever suspect.
In college in the late 70s, I was on the ROTC rifle team and I on two occasions, I didn't have time to store my rifle before a class, so I took it with me. I left it in it's case in the back of the room. No one said a thing.
About the same time, I took an airline flight somewhere. I carried my cased rifle down the jet way and the attendant stored it in the cockpit.

Those were the days.

Sisco
March 11, 2003, 10:20 AM
Carried a Mossberg .22 into school, stored it in my locker most of the day then took it out to woodshop and repaired the stock. No one thought anything of it. Of course this wasn't in the last year or two. :D

If you enjoyed reading about ""Have you ever 'carried' in high school" ???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!