Which trigger characteristic do you feel hinders accuracy the most?

PDA

Snowdog
March 2, 2005, 12:04 PM
Out of curiosity, which of the attributes in the poll do you feel hinders accuracy the most.

Also, which of the listed characteristics is the lesser evil that you'd be willing to tolerate assuming your firearm had such an affliction?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which trigger characteristic do you feel hinders accuracy the most?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
foghornl
March 2, 2005, 12:06 PM
A trigger pull that feels "gritty", like trying to slide 2 sheets of coarse sandpaper face-to-face.

SRYnidan
March 2, 2005, 12:12 PM
Tworst has to be a gritty one generaly shows the poorest manufacturing as well.

EghtySx
March 2, 2005, 12:14 PM
I voted heavy. I have had pistols with heavy trigger pulls and when dry firing and looking closely through the sights you can see em move as you put increasing force against it to get it to break.

Third_Rail
March 2, 2005, 12:25 PM
None of the above. I can shoot them all fairly accurately....

Thanks to airguns, I learned to just deal with bad triggers and adapt. :)

Nazirite
March 2, 2005, 12:26 PM
I vote for excessively long trigger pull but I have very little experience with the other problems. I shoot much better with my 1911 Colt than my Berreta (very long trigger pull)

mtnbkr
March 2, 2005, 12:36 PM
I vote heavy. I shoot DA revolvers, so long works fine. Gritty or spongy don't bother me as much either.

I actually prefer a light, long triggerpull. My GP100, Kel-Tec P32, and Kahr K9 all fit this description.

Chris

Cool Hand Luke 22:36
March 2, 2005, 12:50 PM
Excessively long trigger pull.

It seems like you wait all day while pulling the trigger on a pistol like the Ruger P89. It means you wind up having to concentrate much harder, for a longer period of time.

alex-v.
March 2, 2005, 12:52 PM
The heavy trigger pull seems to torque the gun to the side or over which is why is seems to be the worst.

MoNsTeR
March 2, 2005, 12:54 PM
Gritty/Creepy.

A 6-7lb crisp 1911 trigger is easy.
A "spongy" Glock or Ruger trigger is easy.
A long DA revolver or Beretta/SIG/S&W pull is a matter of technique.
But a gritty/creepy pull is something I just can't stand.

landon74
March 2, 2005, 01:02 PM
I really hate an excessively long trigger pull, I agree a heavy trigger pull hurts accuracy as well. But when I get the correct sight picture and engage the trigger, taking what feels like a mile of slack out of the trigger before it fires, chances are the gun has moved...

Werewolf
March 2, 2005, 01:17 PM
Toss up between excessively long and spongy.

Spongy won though since I can live with a long trigger pull as long as it's not heavy and is smooth.

I can't live with spongy though for some reason. This is why I got rid of the one and only glock I ever owned. That darned trigger made me nuts and I never could get used to it and fire the G22 with any accuracy.

Heavy is OK as long as it's not combined with any one of the other 3 choices.

I've never experienced gritty so can't talk to that.

dleong
March 2, 2005, 02:30 PM
Based on the choice of responses, I voted a heavy trigger.

However, truth be told, my accuracy really suffers when there's a guy in the next lane shooting his 325 gr. handloads out of his 454 Casull Ruger Super Redhawk.

DL

J Miller
March 2, 2005, 02:59 PM
I voted 'heavy'. Like some of the others I've done a lot of double action shooting, so a long pull doesn't bother me. My favorite OM Ruger Black Hawk has a two stage pull, yet it breaks around 3 pounds, I keep saying I'm going to get the sear recut, but I never do.
I'm one of those that has shot 3 pound triggers so long that when I get a heavy pull, 4 pounds or over I start anticipating let off. And my accuracy goes to pot.
Yet to confuse my issue, a decent 1911 with a 4-5 pound trigger doesn't bother me....too much.
Plus when ever you encounter a real heavy trigger pull it's usually, but not always, combined with other factors such as the gritty, spongy, long, and staged. This really kills accuracy for me.

Joe

geekWithA.45
March 2, 2005, 03:22 PM
Heavy.

Some of these 10-12 and even 15 pound factory triggers are preposterous.

Granted, you don't want a 3 pound trigger on a carry revo, but 10+ is rediculous.

mjb
March 2, 2005, 03:26 PM
In My Opinion, Taurus revolvers, and most post 82 S&W pistols. The exception is early 90's L frames revolvers. S&W autos are also bad.

P95Carry
March 2, 2005, 03:30 PM
Poundage per se is less of a worry to me than - ''gritty'', which I call ''creep'', erratic ... similar vice. Then yeah - excessively long pull is far from desirable.

So -- from choice - medium (safe) poundage of intermediate pull length and - like butter!:) - oh and - consistent.

pax
March 2, 2005, 03:34 PM
A heavy trigger can certainly affect accuracy, especially for a new shooter. But for someone who's pulled a trigger a few gazillion times, if the trigger is heavy but smooth it really isn't difficult to adapt (well, apart from problems such as a sore trigger finger (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=93700)).

Mushy triggers -- such as the factory trigger on a Glock -- don't affect accuracy at all for people who are used to them. Some folks even prefer such triggers, hard as it may be for an SA fan to understand.

People easily adapt to excessively long trigger pulls. Some folks prefer them.

So my vote is for gritty. All of the problems above are consistent. Because they are consistent, they can be adapted to and overcome. But grittiness is, by nature, inconsistent. Inconsistency leads to inaccuracy.

pax

Ktulu
March 2, 2005, 03:36 PM
Gritty = bad.

Nitram68
March 2, 2005, 03:51 PM
gritty for me. I can deal with everything else but gritty is inconsistant and therefore I can't keep a constant squeeze....

30Cal
March 2, 2005, 04:19 PM
Inconsistant (which I think we're calling "gritty") is unforgivable.

Ty

Bear Gulch
March 2, 2005, 07:00 PM
Spongy where you really cannot feel were you are gaining the needed tension to break the sear. I like crisp, heavy is fine long is fine as long as they are crisp.

Poodleshooter
March 2, 2005, 07:05 PM
Mushy triggers -- such as the factory trigger on a Glock -- don't affect accuracy at all for people who are used to them. Some folks even prefer such triggers, hard as it may be for an SA fan to understand.
This is what kills me,and what I refer to as "spongy". I can't shoot Ruger or Glock autos very well. To me, spongy means that the feel of the sear about to trip is indistinct or that it feels like it just won't roll over. It's the opposite of crisp as mentioned above.
I don't know that I've ever felt a trigger such as the ones folks are referring to as "gritty".Can anyone give an example of a gun whose trigger feels "gritty" for comparison purposes?

io333
March 2, 2005, 07:19 PM
A few years ago I would have said gritty. But a while back I borrowed a friends rifle, a Savage 116 in .308, that had a slightly over 11 (measured!) pound pull from the factory. To compound that, there were raised sharp lines (cast into the metal) running down each side of the trigger, that were cutting through my skin with each pull. :what: The rifle was for all practical purposes unusable. The owner was complaining it wouldn't group. :scrutiny: Maybe the Brady Bunch was involved in that trigger design: sure you can have a firearm, but every time you decide to use it it'll slice your finger off!

So a heavy trigger with knife edges gets my vote over gritty any day.

Bobarino
March 2, 2005, 07:21 PM
none of the above. quit 'cher whinin' and shoot the stupid thing. sheesh. wah wah wah, my trigger's too mushy/spongy/long/gritty. its the poor musician that blames his instrument. now ya'll excuse me while i go duck and cover from the oncoming flamin'.

Bobby

psyopspec
March 2, 2005, 07:26 PM
All affect sight picture, but given the choices IMO long pull will put it off the most.

NHBB
March 2, 2005, 07:28 PM
for me, it would have to be a long trigger pull before it breaks. it tends to inadvertently make the muzzle rise for me, hence a point of impact that is higher than initially intended.

VARifleman
March 2, 2005, 07:35 PM
I'm a target shooter, so I deal with a 2 stage trigger. When I read "spongy" that reminds me of what I think is the worst, and that is a 2nd stage which is longer than it ought to be. It should be crisp and always the same weight in the repspective stanges.

Keyster
March 2, 2005, 08:07 PM
My vote is for gritty.
Any trigger that feels like dragging a railroad tie down a gravel road bothers me.

Just too sensitive, I guess.

K.

ralphie98
March 3, 2005, 01:40 PM
The long pull gets me every time with shooting low. I've gotten used to my glock trigger pull, and a heavy pull I can deal with.

38SnubFan
March 3, 2005, 05:48 PM
I voted for long trigger pull, mainly because the Bersa MiniFireStorm in .45 I bought a couple of weeks ago has a nice short crisp SA trigger pull with a quick reset, but the DA pull is long and kinda heavy. The "heaviness" doesn't bother me much, as I got used to it from shooting my EAA/Weirauch .38 spl. quite often and managed to put down perfect scores from 10 yds. with consistency. Just know that the first time I shot the Bersa a week or so ago, the first DA shot went WAY LOW (as in hitting the B-27 in a spot where a guy would not be able to breed anymore! :eek: :uhoh: :evil: ).

All that said, I think if one practices enough with the gun to become proficient, it becomes more a matter of the shooter than the gun. I've seen guys put some AWESOME groups down with guns that I can't shoot worth a crap (i.e. Walther P99).

-38SnubFan

Joey2
March 4, 2005, 10:01 PM
Spongy trigger is the worse't. I like to know when the round is going off. No suprises for me.

Black Snowman
March 4, 2005, 11:24 PM
I can't believe anything but gritty got a vote. A heavy/long/spongy trigger you can train to get used to, but there's nothing you can really do about an inconsistant trigger pull. If it changes all the time there's no way around it.

For me sights have always been a bigger stumbling block than triggers anyway. I can shoot my Glock, 1911, and CZs pretty well. Getting used to DA took me the longest, and that's where I really notice an inconsistant pull the most.

On rifles a gritty, inconsistant, trigger is by far the hardest to work with. Like my SKS, which is actually getting smoother with use. It was good training to learn how to shoot that well :)

SapperLeader
March 6, 2005, 08:43 AM
Definitly gritty is the worst. Any of the others can be adapted too with practice, but a gritty trigger will surprise you every time with its start and stop trigger, which will lead to poor accuracy and frustration.

stevelyn
March 6, 2005, 08:57 AM
Heavy and smooth is fine.
Spongy and smooth is fine.
Long and smooth is okay, but may require grip shifting. It is however, managable.
Gritty and creepy are intolerable and unacceptable no matter how light.

Ala Dan
March 6, 2005, 09:21 AM
I voted for the heavy trigger.

Talon
March 6, 2005, 09:35 AM
I just got a new Llama. It's a cheap piece of crap, and I'm not really liking it. One of it's worst features is the heavy trigger.

yesterdaysyouth
March 6, 2005, 10:00 AM
#1 problem is me... after i shoot handguns for a period of time it gets worse, i'll start jerking the gun down in anticipation of the recoil before i even pull the trigger!! :D

but despite that, a long trigger pull on an ity-bity gun is the worst, like on the ket-tec's....

YMMV

Brian Dale
March 6, 2005, 05:45 PM
Bobarino, maybe you can shoot well with guns that have those characteristics.

I like all of the help I can get from a trigger. I do poorly with a "gritty" or inconsistent one. I already have enough things to improve about my shooting, and it helps when the trigger does just what it's supposed to do, predictably.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which trigger characteristic do you feel hinders accuracy the most?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!