110 gr bullets in .30-06?

PDA

john l
March 2, 2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone shot a batch of these? Just wondering what kind of accuracy to expect.

What about the 125 gr bullets?
I saw a Federal Factory loaded listing for this weight. Wondered if some of you have had any personal experience with the real light bullet weights in the 30-06.
Thanks,
John L

If you enjoyed reading about "110 gr bullets in .30-06?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
M2 Carbine
March 2, 2005, 11:12 PM
I loaded 110 gr Carbine and other 110 grain bullets in the 30.06 about 20 years ago.
I don't remember them being highly accurate. (all my records were lost when my gun shop burned)

I also went the other way with a 170gr RN gas check lead bullet that is very accurate with a reduced load.
I still shoot these bullets sometimes.

Art Eatman
March 3, 2005, 12:32 AM
I used to go out at night with my father and uncle, spotlighting jackrabbits. I had an old 1917, and used the 110-grain Hornady bullets. From the bench, I recall the load being as accurate at with 150-grain Rem Bronze Points.

Devastating on jackrabbits.

Probably get better accuracy with a 1 in 10 twist than a 1 in 9, I guess. The latter is good with the heavier-end bullets, though. But, not many load the 200- or 220-grain bullets, nowadays...

Purely my opinion, but in the '06, the 125-grain is sorta betwixt and between, neither fish nor fowl. Heavier than need be for varmints; maybeso not enough penetration for reliable deer killing.

Art

El Rojo
March 3, 2005, 12:43 AM
A 110 grain V-max in a .308 is accurate and deadly on varmints. I would imagine they wouldn't be that bad in a 30-06 either. However those 110 gr. V-max are designed for a big rifle where the 110 grain FMJ and SP are made for a carbine. Heck even the 110 grain HP I bought for my M1 Carbine look like they wouldn't work that great in a big rifle.

I shoot 125 grain TNT HPs out of the .308 too and my dad actually loaded some 125 Sierra Game Kings in .30-06 for coyotes too and I am sure they work good too even though I don't recall ever using them.

Bottom line, I would say stay away from the 110 grain bullets in a big rifle unless you are going to be using the V-max. They are the only ones I am aware of that were actually made for the .308 or .30-06, the other bullets were made for the carbine. But hey, bullets are cheap, go try it out and tell us how they work.

Actually, maybe the next time I go out I will shoot a group of those 125s out of my .30-06 and let you know how they grouped. I am sure just fine. I will chrony them too. Right now they are just doing nothing with their lives and I would be willing to sacrifice a few for the greater public good.

dogngun
March 3, 2005, 06:26 AM
The 125 grain Remington green box is my favorite factory load in .30-06. It is very accurate in all the rifles I have used it in ( about 5) , ranging from a "sportered" 1917's to a 1970's Savage 110. It's usable on game from groundhogs up, and I'd use it on deer under 200 yards. Light recoil,too.

Mark :)

Art Eatman
March 3, 2005, 12:05 PM
I took some 80-grain .32-20 flat-nosed bullets (run through a .308 swager) and loaded them ahead of a whole bunch of 3031. 55 grains, IIRC. :D Dunno the velocity, but the factories said the 110s came out at some 3,480 ft/sec.

That load would splatter a jackrabbit over a half an acre.

You know how a buzzard will soar into the wind, pause, and then go downwind? I had one do that directly above me one time. I took a snap-shot and managed to center-punch him with that load. (16-year-olds will do that sorta stuff.)

Big mistake. "See Art run. Run, Art, run!"

The world is full of interesting things to do...

:), Art

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 3, 2005, 12:57 PM
Wow...that makes my super-triplex-saboted 55 grain 30-06 loads look pretty pathetic, Art. I bet those were a lot more accurate at range than mine ever were. :evil:

Regards,
Rabbit.

Bwana John
March 3, 2005, 01:31 PM
I used to load M-1 carbine 110 SP bullets for my M-1 Garand all the time (because Im cheap) They wernt seated very far in, and I pit a big crimp in them to hold the bullets, but they fed perfect. They shot Minute of milk jug @ 100 yards. I used 4895 for the powder.

Art Eatman
March 3, 2005, 10:59 PM
A 1937 '06 load with corrosive primers, listed in Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading", is a 74-grain bullet and a bunch of 2400; 3,880 ft/sec.

A similar load with an 80-grain bullet shows 3,600 ft/sec.

Folks have been doing the fun'n'games thing for more than a day or two...

:), Art

Clemson
March 4, 2005, 10:26 AM
I loaded 125 grain Ballistic Tips for an antelope hunt a few years ago. I ended up hunting with a .257 Roberts, so I did not use the loads for the '06. Later took the '06 whitetail hunting with the 125 grain loads. I shot a spike at 200 yards and a doe at 350 yards. Both were one-shot kills, but both traveled 75 yards before collapsing. The doe had 1/3 of her heart shot off. I can't say that the 125 grainers were any better or worse than any other bullet given the same placement. I did get a trajectory that I could effectively hit with on the long shots.

Clemson

If you enjoyed reading about "110 gr bullets in .30-06?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!