SKS compliance parts?

PDA

N3rday
March 2, 2005, 11:22 PM
Assuming you had an SKS with NO U.S. parts, what would be the cheapest combination of parts to reach compliance?
Let's assume you want mag capacity 10 or more. I'm trying for a folding stock :) .

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS compliance parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jame
March 2, 2005, 11:59 PM
If you want a folding stock, I'd say go for it. There's so much conflicting information floating arounfd about the SKS these days that I'm not sure anyone, including the ATF can give you an absolute answer. Hell, I've even seen evidence of conflicting ATF advice!

I'm not making claims as any expert on this one. I've got a Choate Sporter stock, Williams front and rear sights, and that's it. GL sight, bayo, and bayo lug have been removed. Standard fixed mag is intact.

Am I in compliance? Well, I assume I am. But it just depends on which board you post the question!

Man-O-War
March 3, 2005, 12:57 AM
Try the folks over at Survivor's SKS Boards (http://www.sksboards.com/). Look in the SKS Legal Issues forum. They should be able to help you.

rbernie
March 3, 2005, 07:41 AM
Get thee to TAPCO (http://www.tapco.com/product_list.asp?dept=39&last=39) - the SKS stuff starts on page two.

N3rday
March 3, 2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, I am thinking of ordering from Tapco-but I need to know how many parts I need to reach compliance >_<.

What a lame law...

rbernie
March 3, 2005, 05:42 PM
Of 'the list' (http://www.simonov.net/10orlessrule.htm) - you need ten or less foreign parts.

cracked butt
March 3, 2005, 08:12 PM
This has piqued my interest as well.

For a Yugo SKS, would the Grenade launcher need to be removed/replaced as well as the Grenade launcher sight to make it legal, above and beyond wht needs to be done with a standard sks?

rbernie
March 3, 2005, 08:57 PM
So long as you're only governed by 922(r) and not by C&R issues, you should be OK. Here's the list:

(1) Receivers
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearm hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates

Of these, I do not believe (MY OPINION, NOT THE ATFE) that 3,4, 14, 16, or 17 apply. That leaves fifteen foreign parts, which you need to get down to ten or less. Using a US-made magazine counts for three (magazine body, follower, and floor plate) and using the TAPCO gas piston and op rod gets you two more. By my math, you should be able to be legal modifying a SKS (at least by 922(r) standards) by using a USA-made magazine, op rod, and gas piston. If you're concerned that the ATFE would NOT disclude some of the items I removed from the list, you could either include a US-made stock (Choate or Butler Creek would be my recommendation) and/or remove the grenade launcher and replace it with a US-made brake/flash suppressor.

fletcher
March 3, 2005, 09:50 PM
Get thee to TAPCO - the SKS stuff starts on page two.

Ditto. I got my compliance stuff from there - operating rod, gas piston. I got a US made magazine from CDNN (man do those mags suck), and have exactly the limit on parts.

N3rday
March 5, 2005, 09:10 PM
so, does anyone know of a reliable 10+ round magazine? It seems like a magazine replacement would save a lot of money.

DMK
March 6, 2005, 10:40 AM
Here's another good "10 or less" list for the SKS:

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc94374048

so, does anyone know of a reliable 10+ round magazine? It seems like a magazine replacement would save a lot of money.
You may get lucky with the 20 round USA brand mags. I've tried them and think they work better than the 30s. I had four and I think two worked pretty reliably, and one of the others had only very intermitten feed problems. Stronger springs might help.

I've always wondered if they are provably made in the U.S. though.

rbernie
March 6, 2005, 10:54 AM
This (http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=MAG6605&back=yes&dept=168&last=73) is as good as it gets, if you're looking for a sporter-type conversion.

N3rday
March 6, 2005, 08:27 PM
I couldn't seem to locate any 20 rd USA mags, only ones labeled 'western'. Are USA 30 round mags any better than others? What about those chinese 20 rd fixed (My SKS is chinese, if it matters)

rbernie
March 6, 2005, 09:30 PM
I've had no luck with the generic 30-rounders or the USA-brand 10rd units. That's about all I can tell you - I either run the stock mag (and keep the rifle stock) or run the 5rd Zytel mags.

DMK
March 6, 2005, 09:53 PM
What about those chinese 20 rd fixed I never had any luck with them. Besides, they are obviously imported and you wanted enough US made parts to be able to add the folding stock right?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS compliance parts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!