How do you guys carry neck knives?

PDA

goon
March 3, 2005, 09:40 AM
I just got a Becker Necker. I am thinking that I am going to carry it suspended under my left arm pit by running the carry cordover my right shoulder and down around my left side. I know that a break-away chain would be better for carry because something that doesn't break could possibly be used to choke, but I don't trust those damn chains. I don't want to lose my knife.
Anyhow, anyone got any ideas or alternatives I should think about?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you guys carry neck knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
scbair
March 3, 2005, 10:26 AM
The increased risk of strangulation via paracord versus the increased risk of loss or fumbled draw (e.g., pulling the sheath along with the blade as opposed to the exposed blade) of a chain . . .

Actually, that's the main reason I quickly gave up on neck knives. The other reason was it was never comfortable for me.

A solid, well-made folder clipped to my waistband and concealed by my paunch . . . er . . . loosely tucked shirt :scrutiny: suits me much better for EDC.

Sorry I can't advise further.

Dirty Bob
March 3, 2005, 12:10 PM
One of the biggest problems with neck knives is that they flop around and slide back and forth across your chest. This issue can be solved by using two safety pins to pin the chain to your undershirt. I use a beaded chain, and I don't worry much about the threat of strangulation, unless the neck knife is worn openly. I wear shirts with collars most of the time, and the chain just isn't visible, especially from behind.

Another advantage of pinning the knife to your shirt in the front-center position is that you can leave one shirt button open and surreptitiously access the knife if a situation is sliding downhill. Seated with arms crossed, for example, you could probably have the hilt in your hand without anyone noticing.

Regards,
Bob

JShirley
March 3, 2005, 12:12 PM
I think neck knives are typically a bad idea. It took me slightly longer wearing one to come to this conclusion than when I wore the Colt Anaconda concealed once, but not much longer.

John

goon
March 3, 2005, 12:55 PM
I carried it today under a heavy but fairly comfortable fitting T-shirt with no problems. The only thing that is visible is the paracord up at the collar of my shirt where it rests at junction of my shoulder and neck. As for comfort, I got no problems with it. The knife pretty much stays where it is supposed to and doesn't flop around and it lays flat against my ribs.

Estela216
March 3, 2005, 12:58 PM
I shorten the cord and attach it to a belt loop. I don't like carrying anything near my face that could bounce up and wack me there. For that matter, I don't like carrying anything near my crotch so I attach the knife to my side belt loop.

Dirty Bob
March 3, 2005, 01:07 PM
JShirley:
I see we've had different experiences. I admit that I prefer pocket carry over neck carry, but I'm one who finds neck carry to be comfortable and convenient, especially for a utility knife. I have doubts about quick access under stress. I also live in a city (San Antonio) that bans locking folders, yet there is no prohibition on fixed blades. Therefore, the most logical knife for utility uses and other purposes is a concealed, small fixed blade knife.

Goon:
Glad it's working for you. The Becker Necker looks like a great little knife, and I've heard good things about them.

Estela216:
My own favorite carry for a small fixed blade is in my front pocket, attached to my keys.

Dirty Bob

Malice
March 3, 2005, 01:34 PM
I will be moving to san antonio soon, and for school. So my benchmade and spyderco will stay at home. But I need to carry a fixed blade, concealed. And it needs to be fairly cheap.

I am considering the
Benchmade Gamer Fecas
Becker Necker
Cold Steel push knives (legality?)

With a strong leaning towards
The CRKT Bearclaw because it is small in size, has multiple carry options, including neck-wear.

Would some of these other knives work? How else can a knife be concealed? The bearclaw is under 6 inches, while the others I listed are between 6-9 inches.

Knife will be EDC for all purposes including defense, along with my light and OC.

THanks

Advice?

JShirley
March 3, 2005, 01:55 PM
Fair warning- if you are caught carrying a concealed knife on school (I'm assuming you mean a public school) grounds, you will be prosecuted, even if the knife itself is legal.

You want advice? Just carry a good SureFire light. You won't lose much reach over a small FB, and it'll be perfectly acceptable, even if you are seen with it- unlike the knife. Just about the only "instant stop" you can make with a knife is a smash with the butt to the temple, and you can do that at least as well with most SureFires. Just don't attach any silly Fang-faced flesh-shredding device to your light. :rolleyes: I would check w/ campus security before carrying your OC, too.

John

SRYnidan
March 3, 2005, 02:19 PM
I have a Maringer scalpel that I carry on a dog tag chain.
Normally I carry it under a T-shirt with my Gi pants back and forth to the Dojo (no pockets). It isn’t the answer to everything but with a shirt and tie it works well.

yorec
March 3, 2005, 03:05 PM
I've got a tiny Cold Steel push knife that I obtained nearly a dozen years ago - seldom wear it on the neck with a cord - don't find that comforting or comfortable. But with it's belt clip I can clip it to an undershirt collar with ease and have poked holes purposely in the side of such undershirts to slip the belt clip. Work great, but is tough on shirts...

JShirley
March 3, 2005, 03:15 PM
I've had two different small Cold Steel FB's, the MiniPal and the ReadyEdge, that I carried- along with other knives- for several years.

Almost no-one would find a knife like the Ready Edge, when carried on your key chain, threatening, but those same folks would tend to be disturbed at finding that knife strapped around your neck.

Remember, self-defense involves more than just being able to produce a weapon in an emergency, and it just makes good sense to use good sense when you're setting up your daily gear plan. You always want to present yourself in the most friendly light when it comes to legal scrutiny, especially if you can do the same thing at least as well. For the vast majority of people, I feel neck knives are a solution in search of a problem.

John

Dirty Bob
March 3, 2005, 04:31 PM
I use neck knives for utility knives only. I don't think I can get to such a knife in a hurry, and heavy knives are just a pain to carry there. At home, and when doing outdoor work, I often carry a homemade neck knife.

Malice:
I strongly advise against carrying any kind of concealed fixed blade on a campus! San Antonio prohibits locking folders, but the rule is generally not enforced. I carry a small fixed blade pocket knife on my keys as a result, but I don't carry a knife as a weapon. Something like a Delica is a lot less likely to raise eyebrows than a push knife, or something as large as a Becker Necker, especially on a campus.

I think the law sucks, but my understanding is that it's used when they are looking for an excuse to bust someone who's misbehaving, or as an extra charge when arresting somebody.

I think John Shirley's on the right track: a sturdy flashlight is invisible to most people and worn't get you in trouble, yet it makes a very effective pocket stick. The SureFires are great, but I like the Inova T series. The Mini MagLite also works, and you can buy one almost anywhere for under $10. The old Bruce Tegner books on stick fighting show some basic, useful techniques for pocket sticks.

Your best defense is common sense. The one theme I see running through many stories of people being attacked is that they frequently were in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with their guard down. I can't count the number of students I've seen walking across campus alone at night, with their head down, lost in a cell phone conversation totally unaware of their surroundings. I see them as a crime waiting to happen.

Stay safe,
Dirty Bob

LawDog
March 3, 2005, 05:37 PM
If your Cold Steel push dagger is double-edged, it is unlawful to carry in Texas.

LawDog

Malice
March 3, 2005, 06:54 PM
Well..

I carry a alluminum-framed LED light with me almost all the time so thats not a problem.

But forget about campus. I plan on spending a lot of time off-campus, and I have carried a knife with me everywhere I go except school since I was 13. So I am not about to stop because I can't carry a folder.

So, when I go out on the town, what is a good knife to conceal, and how to do it?

I am not comfortable with a non-concealed fixed blade knife on my belt in the middle of San Antonio.

Dirty Bob
March 5, 2005, 12:38 AM
Malice,

The light's a good start.

One of my favorite "pocket sticks" is actually a closed Opinel folder. Inexpensive, harmless-looking, but very solid, and a heck of a good slicer. The rotating collar has to be turned after opening, so I don't think of it as a defensive knife, but the metal collar at one end and the blunt "edge" of wood at the butt make it a good choice as a pocket stick. I've carried mine in Switzerland, Austria, Germany and the US. It would pass the legal test in San Antone (and it complies with Swiss law). The Cold Steel Twistmaster is even better, but you'd have to find one on eBay, as they're no longer made.

I think in many cases, a pocket stick is actually more effective than a knife at stopping an attack. It can deliver a blow that is immediately painful, so less damage needs to be done to convince someone to go somewhere else. For a defender, a knife is often a poor weapon, because it can deliver a wound that the attacker (especially if he's enraged, drunk or drugged) can't feel until later.

Knife-wise, I've generally carried fixed blades on my keychain, with one of those brass quick-detach couplings connecting keys to scabbard. Having the knife on my keys makes it easy to reach when driving, and I can have my hand on it in the pocket when walking. I don't have a pic readily available, but I use a small tanto that I made from a file. The blade length is about 2 inches. John Shirley mentioned the Cold Steel Ready Edge, which is a good little knife that -- as he pointed out -- looks innocuous on keys. The all-stainless Spyderco SPOT ($40 or so) is another possibility (the micarta on the VG-10 SPOT would be scarred by keys in very little time). Fred Perrin's all-steel La Griffe is similar, but more expensive (about $100).

I carry my backpacking knife on a neck chain when hiking, but my little tanto stays with my keys.

Dirty Bob

EricO
March 12, 2005, 06:04 PM
I've had nice horizontal belt carry sheaths made for my two neck knives.
**A Busse Combat Assault Shaker with sheath by Dwayne Puckett (Armorall leather). The Celtic scrollwork was his handiwork at my suggestion. Nicely done, I think.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/ArchieGoodwin/IMGP0926.jpg
**A Lynn Griffith necker in ATS34/micarta handles. Sheath by Dwayne Puckett again.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/ArchieGoodwin/Griffithbadass.jpg
EricO

Dirty Bob
March 12, 2005, 10:12 PM
EricO: Great looking sheath for the Busse. Wow!
The snap for a belt loop shows that Mr. Puckett has thought about this problem. I like that sheath a lot! Thank you for sharing.

Dirty Bob

EricO
March 14, 2005, 02:22 AM
Glad you liked it DB :) . I was pleased with his work also. I'd also recommend Tom Krein of Tom Krein knives, and Okuden for kydex sheath work.
EricO

EghtySx
March 14, 2005, 02:41 AM
Fair warning- if you are caught carrying a concealed knife on school (I'm assuming you mean a public school) grounds, you will be prosecuted, even if the knife itself is legal.

Wow. I guess I am getting a little old. When I was a kid and got a new knife I couldn't wait to get to school and show it to my friends.

JShirley
March 14, 2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah. :(

Perception plays a role, too- an "evil black knife" (to rework a tired phrase), carried in an unconventional way, will certainly seem more suspicious to any who "make" you than a reasonably-sized folder carried normally in a pocket.

John

pete f
March 14, 2005, 08:10 PM
EghtySx I agree, I grew up in massachussets. the Fourth grade was a big step because you could carry your boyscout knife or stockmans knife to school. I remember the whole time I was in junior high carrying a marlinspike and knife in a sheath on my belt until we moved to high school and no one had any idea what they were. my son got in trouble for having a multi tool in his hockey bag that had a pair of small cutting edges, he had a leatherman for fixing helmets and skate screws. he could take two 65 inch composite tube sticks on the bus or in baseball season a 32 inch 29 once baseball bat was ok but a 1 7/8 inch knife blade was taboo.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you guys carry neck knives?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!