Help me go into debt! (pick-a-rifle)

PDA

CPS1
March 5, 2005, 06:10 PM
Please help!! Hookay...Need some serious advice here. Torn between my rifle options. I'm looking to by an "assault"/battle rifle. The purpose of this rifle is totally one sided: FUN. It's gotta be lotsa fun. Here is the list of rifles I'm currently considering, and thier caliber & price:

KTR-03V(7.62X39) 1150
SA58 carbine (.308) 1400
VEPR K (7.62X39) 600
Colt 6721 (5.56) 1350
DSA z4 gas trap carbine (5.56) 1675
Robinson Arms XCR (5.56) 1400 (for the config I want)

For me, things that make a rifle more fun:

It Works (no bang=no fun)

I can actually hit something with it (no 5moa shooters)

Time to arrival (should be available now, or at the very least close to now. I have waited long enough saving for this thing. I do not want to wait another two months+. On this note is anyone currently stocking NIB SA58's in the no ban config?)

It looks cool (no thumbhole stock, super-crappy finish, etc, etc)

Along the looks cool line, having a flash-hider/colapsable or foldable stock is a big plus. It's been so long since I could have one of these that I want one just to piss off the anti's. Not a deal breaker if it's not there, but it would help.

Comfy (sharp edges mean bloody hands, and bloody hands are no fun)

Blows up stuff real good (when I hit something, I want to know it: nothing less than 5.56 thankyouverymuch.)

Does not blow up real good. (no Kaboom prone rifles please, I want to keep my fingers)

Low price (less important than previous reasons, as I have been saving for a long time on this one, but a few extra dollars never hurt.)

If you can think of a rifle that fits the criteria, that I haven't listed please let me know (p.s. considered and dismissed for various reasons: M1, M1 carbine, M-14, HK copies, Bushmaster, Armalite, LMT, RRA, SAM-7, SAR's, MAK's, anything in obvious clinton-ban config i.e. M-4gery with mock flashider, anything over $1,900).

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR WHATEVER ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me go into debt! (pick-a-rifle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DesertRat
March 5, 2005, 06:35 PM
Get the KTR-03, hands down. Don't look back, don't think about it again, just enjoy! :D

jobu07
March 5, 2005, 07:46 PM
With the prices you mention, I think you should look up the RPD that vector arms is making. Thing is saweeeeeet. 7.62 belt feed system. It's like an elongated AK-47 (RPK really) that has been turned upside down. It's about 2K though. You'll know you hit it with a .30 cal bullet and you can repeatedly hit whatever it is your heart desires for quite some time ;)

itgoesboom
March 5, 2005, 08:43 PM
SA58 would be pretty cool, although I would prefer a PTR 91 (I know, I know, its an HK copy, but it is a very, very high quality clone made to specs).

I.G.B.

rbernie
March 5, 2005, 09:04 PM
I own none of the above, but the one that I would own if I could would be the SA58.

wally
March 5, 2005, 09:25 PM
In your price range I'd like the .308 Bushmaster AR10 "clone" that takes metric FAL mags, "real" AR10 mags are $40-50 ea.

Fun for me includes having lots of preloaded mags to empty when I get to the range.

I saw my first Bushmaster AR10 today at a gun show. I'd hope I could do a bit better than $1550 for one, whenever I've been looking a while for something, its hard not to buy the first example I finally do find, but over the years I've learned its almost never the best or cheapest example I'll run across eventually.

--wally.

CPS1
March 6, 2005, 12:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for responding. Right now I'm leaning to the KTR-03. I would like a SA-58, but I don't want to wait the 2 months. No patience left. ;) Anyone know where I can find a no-ban carbine instock?

bcbr
March 6, 2005, 09:37 AM
Some of those listed am not familiar with.
SA or one of the builders listed over at m-14 forums,in 308.
an M1A with spare parts ,lots of ammo,and 3 or 15 mags. :cool:

jeff-10
March 6, 2005, 10:57 PM
I think I would go with the KTR-03V. Those look like MSRP's that you are quoting so the street price will probably be lower.

SpookyPistolero
March 6, 2005, 11:20 PM
Absolutely the KTR. It fixes the things most people find undesirable about the AK. If you have the time available, though, I might get the VEPR and a ton of ammo and try heading to Thunder Ranch to learn to use it. If not, definitely the KTR...

Wahoo!

-Spooky

TheDutchman
March 7, 2005, 08:51 AM
XCR with 5.56 and 6.8spc would be nice but its really new and probably has some bugs. The Colt would be second pick

MrMurphy
March 7, 2005, 10:10 AM
What's wrong with a regular AR?

Also, consider the Sub-2000. 9mm (cheap to shoot, 100 for $8), 30 rounders available (get the 33 round G17 mags) and it's $300. Handles like an Uzi, accurate to 100 yards and lots of fun.

CPS1
March 11, 2005, 01:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I've gone and purchased the SA58. 6-8 week wait. Dangit all, I'm going be running up the walls for the next two months. Would have gotten the KTR but that was looking like a 3 month wait. anyway thanks again. I'll take some pics when it comes in.

GW
March 11, 2005, 02:42 AM
Good choice
If you don't mind the prying
What turned you off on the M1A?

ALS
March 11, 2005, 11:48 AM
If you have more money than you need stop over to IBA's web site. I know they would love to talk guns with you. They will build you a custom Remington 700, 1911 .45, Armalite .223 or .308, and if your really nice a match grade M1A. http://ironbrigadearmory.com/

If you have the money they have a gun for you.

homeka45
March 11, 2005, 03:01 PM
Off your list the SA58 is the one I would have gotten. Good choice in getting a .308.

CPS1
March 11, 2005, 07:09 PM
BigChoad (LMAO, Great name),
There were a few things that turned me off from the M1a. I don't want to turn this into a my gun is better than your gun thread, but FOR ME it was just the SA cast vs. DSA's forged reciever. I wanted a rifle that was built as close to military specs as possible, and right now that's probably the DSA. Also I don't like the fact that the higher grade M1a's lose their performance as the bedding degrades over time. Just my opinion.

Trumpet
March 12, 2005, 06:36 PM
CMP M1 Garand. I got FALs, AR's, M1A's, but the Garand is king. It's all in the "Ping!"

Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me go into debt! (pick-a-rifle)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!