Do you keep a gun in your "work" car?

PDA

Topgun
March 10, 2003, 12:31 PM
I started a city vs country thread and it made me think of this. Do you have a firearm accessible to you when you are away from home? Something in the trunk where you could get to it if a disaster struck?

I'm not talking about having a Beretta on your deskpad, but just an emergency lifesaver somewhere close by.

Earthquake, fire, riot, flood, terrorism are all possibilities and it just seems good sense to have a .22 rifle (at least) in a legal carry condition in your car.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you keep a gun in your "work" car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Naught Spy
March 10, 2003, 01:12 PM
While having such a gun would be an alright addition, something one instructor pointed out to me was that few of us are ever in our trunks when we need the gun. In other words, the usefulness of the gun as it relates to an emergency will depend on just how much of an emergency it is. There are emergencies where you have time to go get a gun and emergencies where you don't. A classic example would be the citizen response to Whitman in the clock tower building at the University of Texas in Austin in the 60s. There was an emergency where folks had the time to grab guns, many of which folks had with them in their vehicles.

I think if I were to carry a rifle, it would NOT be a .22 lr. That said, if you are not a felon then it is legal for you to carry a rifle in your vehicle here in Texas. There are some restrictions, of course, but for normal activities and not going into some sort of controlled areas (government installations of various sorts), then you could have one with you.

It was not too long ago that see rifles in back window racks in pickup trucks was not an uncommon sight in major cities like Dallas. Now, it seems quite rare and usually only in more rural areas.

Dave P
March 10, 2003, 01:13 PM
Of course!

dinosaur
March 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
Sure do. It`s firmly attached to my belt.:D

10-Ring
March 10, 2003, 05:11 PM
In the stolen car capital of the country? Nope. Don't like he idea of keeping a gun unattened in my vehicles.

labgrade
March 10, 2003, 05:37 PM
You bet.

I'm rural & cars are not broken into here.

.308 or .30-06 & a 50-box, or so. Sometimes pitch in a pump 12 gauge w/stuff.

Nothing black helicopter in the least. Just going with the old saying of "not much $200 & a .30-06 can't fix."

That, & the BS motto.

& "in the trunk?" gotta be kidding. ;)

cobb
March 10, 2003, 06:24 PM
Yep. An inexpensive revolver with about 60 rounds of ammo.

12.7x99mm
March 10, 2003, 08:06 PM
possibly

RCL
March 10, 2003, 08:25 PM
Sometimes an old Marlin .30-30, other times a pump shotgun.

Smoke
March 10, 2003, 09:16 PM
Always.

N.E.F 45-70 stays there. As does a cheap 870. My Springfield Champion is my dedicated truck sidearm.

Others vary from time to time.....

Currently there is a Ruger 22 auto and a Marlin 17v.

Preacherman
March 10, 2003, 11:49 PM
Round here (northern Louisiana) you've got a highly Redneck population (including imported honorary Rednecks like me! :D ), coupled with one of the most gun-friendly legal environments in the country - so guns are often seen and heard! :D

I was at the local GM dealer the other day, getting my truck serviced, when an elderly gentleman (OK, bald-headed old coot! :D ) brought in his 20+-year-old truck for its annual oil change ("whether it needs it or not" sort of thing...) He strolled off to the waiting area, and after a few minutes I couldn't help noticing some smiling faces and lots of interest by the mechanics gathered around his truck. One of them went to call him back, and he came in due course, to be requested to "unload your firearms, please, Sir, so that we can move them to clean the cab". No less than 7 long guns and 3 handguns came out of his cab, all loaded, all covered in dust, straw, and probably a few chicken droppings as well! The mechanics were noticeably careful when sitting in the cab to check things after that... :D :D :D

Atticus
March 11, 2003, 12:26 AM
Since the company I work for does not allow guns on the property, but does maintain an unarmed, thoroughly dis-interested guard (who let's people in the gate if they forget their ID and instead hold up a Sam's Club membership card) I would have to say for the record...no I don't.

Ed
March 11, 2003, 10:54 AM
Well, My company, Michelin Tires, Doesn't allow guns in the vehicles. I know "stupid french mentality" imagine that.... Kinda funny but in my region there are 7 guys and 1 girl and only one person doesn't own firearms. I have been told by my boss, "you know, you aren't allowed to cary a gun in your car, and bring down your .45 to the next meeting so we can shoot" So sometimes I do sometimes I don't.

Bravo11
March 11, 2003, 11:24 AM
"It was not too long ago that see rifles in back window racks in pickup trucks was not an uncommon sight in major cities like Dallas. Now, it seems quite rare and usually only in more rural areas."

I too can remember seeing a rifle or shotgun hanging from the back of just about every pickup around(at least in the south).
I don't know if they disappeared because they were getting stolen or because of the "political incorrectness".

TechBrute
March 11, 2003, 11:35 AM
"It was not too long ago that see rifles in back window racks in pickup trucks was not an uncommon sight in major cities like Dallas. Now, it seems quite rare and usually only in more rural areas."

Even the rednecks figured out that they get stolen that way, and heaven forbid that your gun smack you in the back of the head at 35 MPH in an accident.

For those people that take offense to the redneck remark, I drive a Dodge pickup with an NRA sticker, american flag sticker, and a "terrorist hunting permit" stick on my back window. Oh yeah... my cowboy hat is in the hat holder on the ceiling.

Russ
March 11, 2003, 12:12 PM
In Kentucky it's legal to carry a loaded gun in your glove compartment even if you don't have a CCW permit. You can't keep it in the console next to you, it has to be in the glove compartment. Strange rule but much better than California where you have to have the guns and ammo separate and in locked containers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you keep a gun in your "work" car?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!