CZ Barrel Finish?

PDA

Sprout
March 6, 2005, 12:59 PM
About five years ago I bought a CZ 75BD made in 1999. The barrel looks like shiney stainless steel, although it may be plated with something.

Yesterday my brother picked up a 75SA made in 2003. The barrel on his looks strange, its mottled. Sort of, but not exactly, like the heat-treated hammer and trigger on my 686. Rubbing it with a solvent soaked patch doesn't do anything.

The question is: the barrel looks ugly, and I was thinking of polishing it up when we go shooting next. However, if its a protective coating or treatment, I obviously don't want to ruin his gun. Is it safe to polish up the barrel? Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ Barrel Finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
March 6, 2005, 01:08 PM
It's probably safe (I don't know of any protective finish that CZ applies to its barrels), but I don't see the point if the gun shoots well already.

My CZ-75B has the "mottled" finish you describe (shiny, but with some dark splotches, especially near the muzzle).

My $.02 - It's a gun, not a piece of jewelry. ;)

browneu
March 6, 2005, 11:22 PM
I would leave the finish on the barrel. It is a protective hardened treatment to prevent rust. There is more information about the treatment if you do a search at CZform.com.

PCRCCW
March 7, 2005, 12:42 PM
The treatment on the PO1's and such is black/dark dark blue. Its not on the SA and I agree if the gun shoots leave it alone........just my .02$...........

Shoot well.........

clipse
March 7, 2005, 01:15 PM
I saw it on a new 75B at the last gun show. Mike from CZUSA also told me that it was going to be done to all CZ models from now on. Its a carbonic acid treatment to help keep the barrel from rusting in more tropical climents. The Barrels on the CZ pistols are not SS and have not been SS. (again, according to Mike) Still, I have had no problems with my 75B rusting and it doesn't have the carbonic acid treatment. I'ld just leave it alone.

clipse

Walt Sherrill
March 7, 2005, 04:44 PM
Mike also said, in another conversation, that this treatment also has some hardening characteristics (like the EAA Wonder Finish).

If you take it off, you might want to leave it around the barrel lugs.

I don't think ANY of the CZ barrels, by the way, are stainless. I think they are just good quality steel, left in the white. (I may be wrong...Don't think they're plated, etc.)

Sprout
March 7, 2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the help. You guys are awesome!

If you enjoyed reading about "CZ Barrel Finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!