Which Media Cleans Cases Best?

PDA

mainmech48
March 6, 2005, 02:03 PM
Corn cob or walnut hulls? Which one is most likely to give the most cleanings before changing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Media Cleans Cases Best?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
March 6, 2005, 02:55 PM
Which do YOU prefer?? I'm sorry, but what was the question? Oh yeah... I've tried both and the only thing I can think of is what I use. Others will have a different slant on this. Why some even have their own recipe for case cleaning. My favorite is Olsen's Media. It does as good of a job as any of the others and it DOES NOT get stuck in the flash hole. All work as advertised...

Steve in PA
March 6, 2005, 03:32 PM
Well, the general opinion is that both do a great job, with corn cob being a better polisher than walnut. And walnut, due to its texture is reported to be a better cleaner.

I've never used walnut, instead I use corn cob bought from a pet supply store with a few capfuls of Iosso polish added. All my cases (rifle and pistol) come out looking like a brand new penny.

dakotasin
March 6, 2005, 03:41 PM
i use corncob now. cleans as well as walnut - might take a little longer, but seems to do a better job. also, it doesn't get hung up in the flas holes like walnut does.

Automac
March 6, 2005, 04:04 PM
I am using corncob, but I notice it does not clean the carbon out from the inside. Now, I know that it probably doesnt matter, as I have heard before, and will no doubt hear again. :cool:

But when I got some Once-Fired Brass, I couldnt believe how clean and shiny it was, like it was almost new! Just a little bit of brass corrosion here and there inside, but no carbon.

Now what makes brass corrode? Water, thats what. I think they use LIQUID case cleaner. Not to change your subject, but it is a case cleaning medium too, and I belive it might be pretty different than the two similar kinds you mentioned.

I liked those pretty 9mm cases from those guys so much I decided to try it. But guess what, its sold out at Midway. So when they get some in later this month, I'm trying something really different. ;)

Paul "Fitz" Jones
March 6, 2005, 11:25 PM
Walnut and cob is cheap, when it is worn out toss it and get some more

If you want to know what is the best method for the price find the highest volume commercial reloader you can find. I did when I bought his old 6,000 pound lead smelter and a 5,000 round per hour loader for me to start with.

He went to a 25 ton smelter and ten new 5,000 round reloaders.

I listened carefully to his opinions and he told me that the makers of all the commercial media additives LAUGH ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK.

I have also used lemons from my tree, lots of different acids when I was in the experimention stage or tide soap andthey all have some benefits.

steve4102
March 17, 2005, 07:25 PM
Paul, How much paint thinner and kerosine for 5 pounds of media?
Thanks

model 649
March 18, 2005, 10:13 PM
Use whatever you want as media, but for polishing additives avoid anything with ammonia in it as ammonia attacks the brass alloy.

Josh

Automac
March 18, 2005, 11:52 PM
They have the Iosso liquid case cleaner at Cabela's now, and mine's on its way here already. My first experience with them was very good for shipping here, to the middle of nowhere, for a fair price. Try Berry's plated bullets from them too.

I hear they are still using jetfuel and monkey dung in some parts of the world, to clean their cases. :D Just kidding, sorry, I couldnt resist. :neener:

The Bushmaster
March 18, 2005, 11:55 PM
Hummmm...Might work, Automac

Automac
March 18, 2005, 11:59 PM
But sometimes that stuff is really hard to find! :D

The Bushmaster
March 19, 2005, 01:18 AM
Would JP-5 and road apples do? I can get those.....

Automac
March 19, 2005, 02:04 AM
Gee Bushmaster, I've never heard of that one before, that could work better than monkey dung, but it doesnt sound quite as funny! Ha ha ha! :D

The Bushmaster
March 19, 2005, 11:01 AM
Road apples are slightly used hay left on the ground by horses.

BluesBear
March 20, 2005, 02:07 AM
I prefer Walnut Hulls for cleaning empty cases and Corn-Cob for final polishing of loaded ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Which Media Cleans Cases Best?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!