Sideways primer - case stuck in shellholder - help!

PDA

Wedge
March 6, 2005, 03:27 PM
I was priming away checking every couple to make sure that the primers were facing the right way in my Lee Autoprime. Well on the second to last primer I inserted one sideways. Now the sideways primer and case are stuck in the shellholder! How can I get the primer out of the case without setting it off and get my shellholder back?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sideways primer - case stuck in shellholder - help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
March 6, 2005, 03:49 PM
Remove the shell holder from the Autoprime die. Wearing safety glasses and a machinist's face shield and thick gloves (leather) and a pick of some sort, like an awl, carefully pick the sideways primer out. Ain't that a bit.. Had it happen on several occasions. Got to where I look at everyone of them before I seat them.

Someone have a better idea? This is the one that I have used.

Wedge...Wait to see if someone has a better idea. Mine may not be to the others liking.....

Mikke
March 6, 2005, 05:27 PM
What Bushmaster says. You can mistreat a primer a lot without it going bang, just do it slowly...

Wedge
March 6, 2005, 05:34 PM
It is funny because I recently put a primer in upside down so I was trying to watch to make sure they were all right side up. grr...I will have to look at all of them from now on...

I thought of something else to make it a little safer...should I spray the thing down with WD-40 before I try to get it out?

Mikke
March 6, 2005, 05:39 PM
You can't count on anything reliably killing the priming compound. I don't bother. I can't count the numbers of primers I've crushed/put sideways etc that I have removed without any going off, but be careful and go slow nonetheless.

Just realized Bushmaster forgot to mention hearing protection on the safety equipment list.

The Bushmaster
March 6, 2005, 07:10 PM
Well Mikke, I didn't figure he would shoot himself in the ear anyway... L O L. Besides. I'm half deaf anyway. And no it is't because of guns. I spent 18 years with BIG Navy diesels and it cost me. I do get 10% disability. I would rather have my hearing back.

Grump
March 7, 2005, 11:37 AM
I just finish smash-seating the sideways primer until it clears the shelholder, then switch to the decapping station (of whatever variety you may choose).

Eyes and gloves--Ime, the bang of a primer indoors is uncomfortable but no more damaging that what I've already experienced. Your call on that one.

BTW, I soaked primers in Break/Free(tm) for a week and all fired--only 30 percent showed some weakening in report/power. I believe the plastic top wafers and other manufacturing features of priming pellets make oil-deactivation a SLOW process.

BigBob3006
March 7, 2005, 01:18 PM
Wedge,

I think this, or something like it, has happened to all of us. I use a decapping die to remove all primers. When something like this happens, I put the decapping die in and very carefully ease the primer out. If you don't have a universal depriming die, use your fingers to put a little lube on the case and run it through your sizing die again. Also very slowly. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck and God bles. Bob :evil:

41 Redhawk
March 7, 2005, 06:13 PM
In addition to what Bigbob said, I run my decapper down as far as it will go to avoid sizing the case as much as possible. Go slow, it will come right out.

Smokey Joe
March 7, 2005, 06:47 PM
Grump is right--The time it happened to me I also CAREFULLY squoosh-seated the thing, then CAREFULLY deprimed the case. No bang. But I wouldn't do it as a regular thing.

BTW, I wore safety goggles, work gloves, and hearing protection. None proved necessary, but better safe than ..... etc. Have exploded primers alone for various reasons; regular shooters earmuffs work pretty good.

The Lee Auto-Prime is a great tool. Have seated thousands of primers with mine, and the only problems have been operator-generated.

30Cal
March 7, 2005, 07:48 PM
Being as how I've got a couple of shellholders for the usual calibers (30-06, 308, 45ACP, 7mmMauser), I'd just pitch the whole thing.

Ty

If you enjoyed reading about "Sideways primer - case stuck in shellholder - help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!