Original 1858 Remington

PDA

Soap
March 7, 2005, 06:41 PM
Does anyone know what an all-original 1858 Remington would go for in about 60% condition? I have no idea how the %-age scale works so I'm really just guessing. I'll post pics some time tomorrow. Also, does anyone know where I could possibly sell such a relatively specialty item? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Original 1858 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
March 8, 2005, 08:18 AM
If you are talking about the New Model Army .44 caliber, they are not that "special"; there were a hundred fifty thousand made and any fair size gun show will have a half dozen or so.

Assuming your "guesstimate" of condition is close, around $2000 would be a good price. As to selling, you can try any of the on-line auction or sales sites, like Auction Arms or Gunbroker. Or you can try a gun show, but I can pretty well tell you that is not the place to get the best price, since a buyer will likely be a dealer and will want to buy as cheaply as possible.

Another possibility is to put it on consignment at a local gun store or antique shop. (It is an antique, so it is a "non-gun" as far as Federal gun laws are concerned. Check state or local laws, though.)

Jim

Soap
March 8, 2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jim! I was expecting a value figure of about $1.5K. I don't really pay much attention to the true collectors firearms since I'm normally scouring the gun shows for other types of deals. I'm not in a huge hurry to sell so I'll most likely do a little more legwork to find out when my specific gun was made and such.

If you enjoyed reading about "Original 1858 Remington" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!