New Savage 12FV - light primer strikes

PDA

swingset
March 10, 2003, 04:45 PM
Just got a brand new Savage 12fv and I'm having problems with light primer strikes, 2 different ammos (lake city & WinX).

It's got the "Accutrigger", and I've adjusted it down to just about 2lbs, other than that I've done nothing to it.

Any suggestions what could be causing it or something to check? I don't think the trigger lightened up would cause this, but I've never seen a trigger like this either, so I'm at a loss.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Savage 12FV - light primer strikes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quack
March 10, 2003, 10:15 PM
the trigger weight should not have any effect on the light strike, i have my regular trigger on my 10fp down to 1.5# and haven't had a problem. there may be gunk in the firing pin channel.

4 eyed six shooter
March 11, 2003, 12:13 AM
Take the bolt apart and check for gunk or metal chips, clean the inside of the bolt and FP, then put the FP back into the bolt without the spring and make sure the FP moves freely with the FP tip protruding from the nose of the bolt. Could also be a burr on the FP or in the FP hole. Put the spring back on the FP and reassemble the bolt. It may be wise to check the headspace also. Excessive headspace should show up with a ring just above the base of the cartridge or elongated case.
Let us know what you find.
Good Shooting, John K

swingset
March 11, 2003, 07:38 PM
mmmkay, here's what I found. I disassembled the bolt, and sure enough the FP wouldn't freely move in and out of the channel. It looked clean, so did the channel, so I used some light lapping compound on a pipe-cleaner to clean out the channel, and used jeweler's rouge and lightly polished the FP. Cleaned everything and reassembled, and it glides in and out just perfect.

Put the bolt back together and shot a little today without a light strike!

Haven't tested a bunch, but it looks to be the fix. Thanks guys for the help!

(boo hiss to Savage for letting it leave the factory like that)

4 eyed six shooter
March 11, 2003, 10:29 PM
Swingset, I'm glad the fix worked. Don't be too hard on Savage, they are better than most. Quality control has been going downhill for some time now with all gun makers. I find that I have to do small fixes on more new firearms than I should have to. Not much hand fitting on most guns these days, it just costs too much.
Good Shooting, John K

If you enjoyed reading about "New Savage 12FV - light primer strikes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!