FAL question: Type I or Type II receiver?

PDA

Pete45
March 10, 2005, 09:51 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but I want to get into FALs and know very little at this point. All I know is I like .308 in a battle rifle and FALs have quite the following. What is the difference between a Type I and Type II receiver (or Type III for that matter)? My searches come up empty on the facts. I am looking into a DS Arms STG58 and they offer both types for sale. Is one recommended over the other?

Thanks,
- Pete45

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL question: Type I or Type II receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kfranz
March 10, 2005, 09:58 AM
Unless you are hardcore about details, the only difference between any of the 3 is cosmetics.

hso
March 10, 2005, 10:51 AM
falfiles.com

Pete45
March 10, 2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks... none of the links on the left work for me on falfiles.com and I need to be registered to get into the old site. Unless I'm missing something, they haven't completed the site update that was supposed to be finished by March 2002?

- Pete45

Sachse
March 10, 2005, 01:33 PM
Try this thread at Falfiles. It will show and explain the differnce between all the differnt types.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47000&highlight=reciever+type

iamkris
March 10, 2005, 01:41 PM
I like the Type I on aesthetics alone on my DSA StG58A. Type II had radiused curves to prevent cracking during extended full auto fire (shouldn't be a problem for us). Type III didn't have any lightening cuts to save on manufacturing costs.

No other difference other than looks.

Pete45
March 10, 2005, 09:47 PM
Cool... THANKS GUYS! This is exactly the info I needed - and pictures to boot!

- Pete45

Gordon
March 10, 2005, 10:01 PM
deleted

kfranz
March 10, 2005, 10:56 PM
You have to mill the Full auto bolt carrier a little and put in a semi safety to be legal there.

Sounds like you've got the equipment to do it, but unless it's specific to California, there is no need to do either of those. If the receiver isn't sear cut, all the other parts aren't going to make any difference.

If you enjoyed reading about "FAL question: Type I or Type II receiver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!