Calling all Marlin 7000 owners...

PDA

tparker
March 10, 2005, 11:54 PM
Ok, I just sold my 39A and I have a chance to pick up a NOS Marlin 7000 for a fraction of what the 39 cost. Granted, it's not a 39 but it is a cheap .22. The one thing that is keeping me from buying it, is that I vaguely remember hearing some Marlin 795/7000 owners saying that they had problems with the scope mounts/base. It was like they were having problems with the scope sliding or constanly moving around. Does anyone know if there is any merit to this? Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling all Marlin 7000 owners..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
railroader
March 11, 2005, 12:23 AM
I have had a bushnell scope on mine for years and it hasn't moved yet. It's a good little rifle. I highly recommend it. I like it better than my factory ruger 10/22. Mark

kyoung05
March 11, 2005, 04:48 AM
I have a Marlin 795 (same gun, no heavy barrel though), and use a scope base by B-square. There are a few other bases that fit the stock rails, and they seem very solid. I am using a two-peice base and it seems to work great. The rings will not move at all. I think the problems people were having involved using cheap rings mounted directly onto the thin original rail. With a good base available for not a lot of money (~$40), I see no reason why this is even an issue, unless you are going to go completely cheap and use cheap $20 scope mounted on cheap $10 rings, in which case it may or may not work for you. I was originally going to go this route with my 795 as I thought it was a bit ridiculous to spend $160 on scope, rings, and base on a $120 rifle. Then I figured that I wanted to get as much accuracy and as little frustration out of it as possible, and decided to spend a little extra money and get what I want. I haven't had a chance to shoot it a whole lot yet, but to me, it is much better than a stock Ruger 10/22 I used to have which I thought was really heavy, had a awful trigger, and overall kind of bulky.

If you enjoyed reading about "Calling all Marlin 7000 owners..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!