WASR-10 info?

PDA

Mastrogiacomo
March 11, 2005, 07:15 AM
Just when I thought I was getting the Remy 870 next, my father springs this on me. He wants a WASR-10. How good are these guns and how easy to clean?

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-10 info?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
yesterdaysyouth
March 11, 2005, 08:41 AM
i assume you're talking about the high cap version no??

the ones i've seen range from good to poor, of course then you have to take into consideration the quality of the conversion as well... BTW these rifles are imported as a sportrized single stack akm copy, which means the mag well has to be milled out, and enough parts have to be changed out to play the parts game...

biggest problem is a canted gas block, this being what connects the barrel to the gas tube.. if the block is canted that means the hole in the barrel and block aren't aligned. this means less gas to the gas piston, which means the gun is likely to be a jam-o- matic, or enough so to be a headache..

another big problem is trigger slap, the parts used for the conversion aren't the best in the world, and trigger slap ranges from annoying to painful...

thrid would probally be a canted front sight block, it's not hard at all to find this one...

if you can find a gun that doesn't have any of these problems, with decent furniture you'll be glad you made the purchase...

now that i just realized that you're in boston, you probally can't have the gun anyway... i dunno... if you can then it's probally a single stack version, if that is the case then i would suggest getting a saiga instead...

Darkmind
March 11, 2005, 08:43 AM
Save an extra 30 to 50 bucks and get a newer ( 1999 and up ) SAR-1. Trust me you'll be glad you did.

embee
March 11, 2005, 08:54 AM
I had a thread here (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=124394&highlight=WASR-10) that highlighted some of the problems.

EDIT: Editing to make my post sound less negative - they are really fun to shoot, they just take a little tuning sometimes. :)

wrench
March 11, 2005, 09:02 AM
I have an SAR-1, similar, and I can say it's a lot of fun at the range, though I don't know what else it's good for. :rolleyes: I have not had any issues with mine, in about 500r through it.
check for the issues others have mentioned, but go ahead and get one just to say you did.

Mastrogiacomo
March 11, 2005, 12:28 PM
The gun can be seen here under used guns, but it's new according to the shop owner. Not sure it's not listed under long guns then...

www.fsguns.com

Should I just get an SKS instead or go for the Remy? My father wants an AK-47 but we can't afford the high end. This is as good as it gets. It comes with two high cap mags.

WillBrayJr
March 11, 2005, 01:02 PM
I say stay away from the WASR-10. The Romanian AKs are known for canted gas tubes, front sights and trigger slap. For a very good quality AK you'll spend around $450.00 I suggest looking at the SKS, much better quality rifle then the Romanian AK series and less expensive. ;)

Mastrogiacomo
March 11, 2005, 01:29 PM
I think this thread is kind of saying it all. I don't see a SKS now used in the shop and I'm not sure what the SAR-1 goes for. Anyone know?. I know I don't want to spend money on a gun that will give me trouble.

Darkmind
March 11, 2005, 01:55 PM
SAR-1 goes for. Anyone know?.

You can find a SAR-1 for about the same price as a WASR-10, maybe 40 or 50 more but about the same.

jefnvk
March 11, 2005, 01:58 PM
My SKS has never had a problem, its a good gun. Plus they can be found for less than $100. The Rem 870 is also a good gun. If I were you, I'd buy both for the price of the WASR.

WillBrayJr
March 11, 2005, 02:00 PM
SKS rifles can be had brand new at www.atlanticfirearms.com for $175.00 :)

Mastrogiacomo
March 11, 2005, 02:02 PM
The SAR-1 is the formal name of the gun? I'll probably get it with the Remy if it's reasonably priced for both.

Darkmind
March 11, 2005, 02:06 PM
Hears a SAR-1 going for 295.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vi...p?Item=29698989

BryanP
March 11, 2005, 02:16 PM
I own a WASR-10 hicap. It functions perfectly, the only problem with it being a mild case of trigger slap.

I have heard about the cant problems but from what I've seen and heard that problem is a thing of the past. Any models of relatively recent vintage appear to be free of this problem. At least I haven't heard of anybody buying one in recent months that had the cant problems.

The only other problem I had with mine was that some magazines didn't want to seat properly. This is a known problem with the widening process (translation: Century leaves a little metal where there should be any) and took me all of a minute with a dremel to fix.

As to other questions - it's an AK. It works. The furniture on the WASR's is unfinished and the finish can be a bit rough. No, it's not a VEPR, but it's substantially less expensive.

For all the information about the SAR and WASR series (as well as other Romanian AK variants) you could possibly need, try this web page:

http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/index.shtml

mustanger98
March 11, 2005, 02:58 PM
For anything in 7.62x39, I'd recommend any of the newest SKS's for the lowest price I could get. I've looked at Romanian AK's at this one shop here. They felt like POS.

870's a definate go. Just be sure you get the right configuration for you.

WillBrayJr
March 11, 2005, 08:20 PM
Brand new Yugo SKS rifles can be had for $175.00 at Atlantic Firearms. As far as I know Dicks still sells firearms atleast in Indiana they do. Check out Wal-Mart if there is one in your area. The Remington 870 runs $250.00 there.

GigaBuist
March 11, 2005, 09:03 PM
I've got a WASR-10 high-cap myself and a Maadi. They're supposed to be the bottom of the barrel crap AKs out there... and they pretty much are I guess. Well, I hear Hesse is worse.

But... both mine work well. Trigger slap occurs, but I don't feel it unless its cold out. I don't consider either of them a junker and my Maadi would be my "go to" gun in a situation where I need a battle rifle. I own a nice, and much more expensive AR but that Maadi wins for various reasons in my mind.

That said.. save up for the SAR-1.. it's not much more. That's the same advice I'm giving a buddy that wants an AK rifle. Oh, and it's not the Romanian's fault that the SAR's and WASR's have canted gas bocks or sights -- that Century Arms issue. Just check the piece over well before you buy one.

Then again, the SKS is inexpensive, fires the same round, and is a very valid purchase. Someday I'll own one, bu with two AKs I cant' really "justify" it at this point.

If you want to meet somewhere in the middle... don't forget the Saiga line! I've got a .410 shotgun, 20 gauge shotgun myself from them (based off the AK design) and I've pulled apart one of their 7.62x39 rifles. Excellent pieces, IMHO. Much "nicer" looking on the insides than either of my AKs and they're only $200ish. If you do the conversion to turn them into an AK-47 looking clone you're looking at $320 or so total I think, plus your time. Not a bad route to go.. and the're perfectly fine in the original configuration too.

I'm baised though.. I don't think I've ever seen a Kalishnakov that I didn't like. :)

... then again I like anything that puts lead out the naughty end of a barrel...

wrench
March 11, 2005, 09:43 PM
Mas, my SAR-1 was $350 shipped to me, bought from a guy on another board. I see quite a few of them for sale around that price.
I second the posters who recommend the SKS also, AIM surplus has them for as little as $99 depending on condition. I have an unissued one I got from them last year, it shoots the same round as the AK, I think it is a little more pleasant to shoot, and a little more accurate, too.
They're both good, but hard to beat the SKS at the price they are now.
good luck

jefnvk
March 11, 2005, 10:04 PM
Just wanna say that I just seen a used SAR-3 (Chambered in .223 instead of 7.62x39) with a folding stock at a local gunshop for $300. It seemed to be a bit higher fit and finish than the new WSAR-10 sitting next to it for $50 more.

Honestly, I'd have a SAR-3 right now if CMP just hadn't taken $800 from me.

Lonestar.45
March 12, 2005, 12:05 AM
I just got one a couple of weeks ago. Still havent' shot it. But it doesn't have any of the cant problems described in this thread. I got mine from AIM Surplus. The fit and finish isn't the best, but it's serviceable. I'm working on my 7th coat of tung oil on the wood now, after its dry I'll put it all back together in a few days and give a range report.

For what it's worth, I think the latest WASRS from Century have the Tapco G2 trigger installed, which will eliminate the trigger slap some described. Mine has one, and so does my buddies who just got his in from AIM this week. I think Century bought out all of Tapcos G2 trigger stock (as TAPCO has been out of them for a while now), and they're showing up in the latest WASRS. No, they're definitely not the top of the line AK's, but everyone I know has been pretty happy with them, for the price. Just don't expect a showpiece. But they work, no question.

Mastrogiacomo
March 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Well, the SKS goes for $169.95 at my local gun shop. I think everyone has made some great suggestions and I like the WASR-10 but I have too many reservations to pay that much for a gun I'm not sure about. The SKS seems to consistently have better reviews and I'm just looking for something to have fun with. I think I'll go with this next and pick up the Remy 870 later. Thanks again folks. :)

WillBrayJr
March 12, 2005, 09:38 AM
Glad I could help! ;)

Kamicosmos
March 12, 2005, 08:50 PM
I love all the Brand New SKS comments. Um....SKSs haven't been manufactured in quite sometime. They are military surplus, most were used extensively. It's rare to find 'new in wrapper' SKSs. You have to hunt for a good one just like you have to know how to find a good WASR.

Also, IMO, the SKS is heavier, and the trigger is much worse. But, the sights are better, and they are cheaper. I'm not a fan of stripper clips either, and I bought my AK specifically to have long plinking sessions, so being limited to 10 rounds also killed the SKS for me.

The new No-Ban Romanian WASRs seem to be very good. Mine has nice laminated wood stocks on it, mag well was modified very well and several mags and a Drum fit tight and work flawlessly. Gas Block is not canted at all. Mine has exhibited no trigger slap yet. Finish is rather good, much better than the WASRs I saw at gunshows not even a year ago.

Lonestar.45:
latest WASRS from Century have the Tapco G2 trigger installed

Do you know how to identify the Tapco trigger group? I think you may be on to something there, and want to check my group.

If you enjoyed reading about "WASR-10 info?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!