CSI Miami & "Death Talon"

PDA

ballistic gelatin
March 10, 2003, 11:44 PM
Watching CSI Miami and they found a "Death Talon". Don't they mean Black Talon? Also the bullet they show looks like your basic mushroomed hollow point. The best part about this show is watching Emily Proctor. It's too bad they dish out such crap about firearms and the like.

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami & "Death Talon"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double Naught Spy
March 11, 2003, 01:23 AM
Like so many things on TV, the show is fiction. They have no real obligation to get little facts correct and may even have intentionally mispresented the name and not actually used a Black Talon hollowpoing or one similar to it such as the Ranger XST.

Tamara
March 11, 2003, 01:24 AM
I'm actually kinda thinkin' that Winchester shoulda gone all the way and called it the "Death Talon" from the start. May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb. ;)

Jim March
March 11, 2003, 03:36 AM
You know, we should think up a fake ammo company and a completely outlandish "product", with a press release, glossy materials, everything needed to really freak the mediasheeple, then make 'em look like (or rather, EXPOSE 'em as) eeediots when the spoof blows up.

Lesse...how about the new "Slaughterhouse Magnum", with it's...hmmm...arsenic/mercury bubble payload in the JHP cavity, steel-tipped points once expanded, tactical black case with a skull'n'crossbones, Magnum primer buried behind the toxic payload so it blows the crap into the poor innocent victim on impact...OH ya :).

Some photoshop, some fake morgue pics, a press release, we're in "business".

:D

Matthew Courtney
March 11, 2003, 06:47 AM
I'd like to order some of those.

AK103K
March 11, 2003, 07:23 AM
I think Jim's on to something. We can slip into a couple of the right "other" boards and plant the seed. :) Oh, the horror! How can they think of selling those things? They will musroom to the size of your fist and penetrate 3 cars end to end! Kids can buy them in the cafateria at lunch! Be fun to see how long it will take to show up on the major network news :)

El Tejon
March 11, 2003, 08:05 AM
Jim, maybe a fake press release from an attorney announcing plans to apply for the patent for "White Hippo" ammunition?:D

I've wanted to do this for a long time, since Black Rhino.

TarpleyG
March 11, 2003, 09:03 AM
Oh yeah, and make sure you offer it in S&W .500 too.

GT

Leatherneck
March 11, 2003, 10:08 AM
:D :D :D :evil:

TC
TFL Survivor

Ol' Badger
March 11, 2003, 10:14 AM
Yea. tell'em that it can penatrat a fully loaded School bus too. :evil:

J Miller
March 11, 2003, 10:19 AM
I want some in .45 Colt! :what:

cslinger
March 11, 2003, 10:23 AM
That is probably why they didn't use Black Talon.

All in all I was impressed with the whole cleaning your weapon sub-plot or message. I don't get the feeling the show is anti gun because on more than one occassion they talk about or show Emily Proctor's character shooting or talking about shooting in a recreational sense.

In their line of work chances are they will deal with guns being used as implements of murder and they have to show this in the show. For them to also show a character who actually likes guns is a pretty good thing.

IMHO, and we all know what that is worth, just slightly more than a politicians.

Chris.

cordex
March 11, 2003, 10:38 AM
Yea. tell'em that it can penatrat a fully loaded School bus too.
And its killing power is increased when striking orphans and nuns.

RCReecer
March 11, 2003, 11:48 AM
Don't forget that it has to be silent too - so the busload of nuns will never know it's coming...

Spackler
March 11, 2003, 11:52 AM
What kind of pistol was Speedle carrying? I couldn't recognize it. It looked a little like a Jericho but I'm not sure.

bogie
March 11, 2003, 12:05 PM
I've never watched the show.

I'm gonna try gluing a primer into a hollowpoint someday.

10-Ring
March 11, 2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I was having problems w/ that too :rolleyes:

Quartus
March 11, 2003, 12:22 PM
Hmmm. Sometimes out of a jest comes the germ of a truly great idea.

So, shut up, guys. The less talked about the better. In fact, I'd love to see all of you go back and edit (read: DELETE) your posts.

Then let Jim go to work. :D

I'm serious. If you guys will delete your posts, we could really do this. I'm volunteering, Jim, if you want to work on this together.

thrifty7
March 11, 2003, 01:43 PM
Its been done already, five or six years ago. I forgot the details but it was the perpetrators that got all the ridicule, not the media.

hso
March 11, 2003, 02:25 PM
I don't know if my ears need cleaning, but what I heard was "Golden Talon" not Death Talon when the bullet was shown to the other character, an obvious made up name from Gloden Sabre and Black Talon.

Dean Speir
March 11, 2003, 02:30 PM
Tamara wrote: I'm actually kinda thinkin' that Winchester shoulda gone all the way and called it the "Death Talon" from the start. Actually, the original name which the word wizards at Olin came up with was "Black Widow' 'til wiser heads prevailed, and they decided upon "Black Talon."

CSI: Miami's gain with Emily Proctor was definitely The West Wing's loss; her Deputy White House Counsel Ainsley Hayes, a "token Republican," delivered the most pointed and compelling argument against the "knee-jerk Democratic anti-gun" crap ever heard on TV, in either a fictional setting or a news show, for that matter!

She's great!

MonkeyMan
March 11, 2003, 02:40 PM
Let's not forget the teflon coating so it will penetrate battleship plate. And we could have Joe Piscopo in his "Johnny Dangerously" character as the spokesman:

"This shoots through schools."

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.:banghead:

COHIBA
March 11, 2003, 02:45 PM
will they feed in a HIPOINT?

dav
March 11, 2003, 02:58 PM
I had this feeling that actually doing this (the hoax deal) would be a bad idea, but couldn't quite place why...
Then it came to me.
They (sheeple) will baah so loudly that this ammo will be outlawed (first in Los Angeles, then in California) before you get a chance to tell them it is a hoax! :uhoh:

Houndawg
March 11, 2003, 03:06 PM
I don't know if my ears need cleaning, but what I heard was "Golden Talon" not Death Talon when the bullet was shown to the other character, an obvious made up name from Gloden Sabre and Black Talon.

That was a couple week ago. Last night's show had the Death Talon. And the bullet wasn't partitioned.

I think it's a copyright issue. Winchester or Remington probably won't allow the use of their product names on the show.

Anybody notice that when she pulled the magazine out of Speedle's gun, the bullets were FMJ and not HP. What cop would carry ball ammo in his duty weapon?

Spackler
March 11, 2003, 03:08 PM
Anybody notice that when she pulled the magazine out of Speedle's gun, the bullets were FMJ and not HP. What cop would carry ball ammo in his duty weapon?

NYPD, until a couple of years ago.

fish2xs
March 11, 2003, 03:16 PM
Getting a product mentioned on the air can cost you alot. Whether that 'alot' is good or bad depends. Does anyone recall Snapple being mentioned in a Seinfeld episode? When Friends had a coffee table from Pottery Barn on one of their episodes, the PB servers crashed because they were taking too many on-line orders for it. My wife bought one.

My guess is that the manufactures did not want "black talon" being mentioned.

FWIW
-phil

Skunkabilly
March 11, 2003, 04:00 PM
'Black Widow' discriminates against female suspects!

makdaddy03
March 11, 2003, 04:02 PM
Hell, I dont even watch TV anymore.:barf:

ballistic gelatin
March 11, 2003, 04:45 PM
I first saw Emily Proctor on West Wing too and she was awesome. That was until I realized that West Wingers are not the kind of people I mix with.

Speedle's gun did look like a Jericho/Israel Arms sort of thing. Do you think the bg would have really just fired into his vest???

One time they had a sniper with a .223 on a roof and Emily Proctor's character was asked something like "what do you think when you see a man in black laying on a roof with a rifle?" Of course their leading up to the bad guy sniper scenario. She replied, "I get flushed and very excited, but that's just me"...or something to that effect. She is a hottie.

A month or so ago someone used a knife to commit a crime and they used several examples of paramilitary knives and basically said the knives could only be bought at gunshows and the criminal was former military or some hogwash.

El Tejon
March 11, 2003, 04:52 PM
bg, just wait until Hollywood "discovers" the gun nuts on the Internet!:uhoh:

10-Ring
March 11, 2003, 05:25 PM
She is a hottie.

re: Emily Proctor...smokin' hot! :cool: She couldn't be more OT!

Jim March
March 11, 2003, 06:28 PM
Quartus: I completely suck at photoshop. I'm barely adequate at page layout, but fairly good at writing.

If those with the ability to do "ad copy layout" and graphic prep want to team up, drop me private EMail and then we'll go back and "correct" this thread.

goon
March 11, 2003, 06:40 PM
Do you guys realize how much crap it would take to jam up a good semi-auto?
I know that 500+ rounds without cleaning will not jam a SIG.
I tested mine when I first got it.

DeltaElite
March 11, 2003, 07:54 PM
"Slaughterhouse Magnum"
ROFL :D
I love it, I would buy it. :D

Now this is a funny thread. :D

The Mayor
March 11, 2003, 09:16 PM
I heard the terrorists are experimenting with a highly explosive gel like substance they can smear on their chest,
the code name is;

Brown 25

Standing Wolf
March 11, 2003, 10:45 PM
I want a box of Dead Cute Little Fuzzy Bunny ammunition.

Quartus
March 11, 2003, 11:35 PM
Jim, I know noting about Photoshop, nor anything similar. Anyone out there who can do the graphics up for a little leg pulling?

Dead Cute Little Fuzzy Bunny ammunition.

Ha! A lot YOU know! It's called, "Cute Little Furry Creature Exploder"!

:D

Jrob24
March 12, 2003, 07:02 PM
which of these ideas sounds best for the Slaughterhouse Magnum?

a) It's laced with an acetyl-phosphate compound that can ignite human tissue 85% of the time.

b) even a hit to a non-vital area will still be instantly leathal due to its potent nuerotoxin

c) although it can't penetrate body armor, the kinetic energy will still be lethal.

Wilhelm
March 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
Yea. tell'em that it can penatrat a fully loaded School bus too.

I have been laughing at that for the last 15min!!!!!!

Wilhelm

cliffdropover1
March 12, 2003, 08:13 PM
Did anyone notice that during the previous show when Emily went in to the vault full of guns, (to find a duplicate gun she needed), she said "Be still my heart" I love her all the more now. :)

The Mayor
March 13, 2003, 07:26 PM
Slaughterhouse Magnum

pulled from the gut of Bambi's mother

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=167575

If you enjoyed reading about "CSI Miami & "Death Talon"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!