Anybody ever seen the film Carbine Williams?

PDA

Jeff
March 13, 2005, 12:13 AM
I remember watching this one day about 8 yrs ago. It just happened to be on TV during a Friday afternoon or something. I had never heard of the movie until then, and I just watched it on a whim.

It was a really entertaining and interesting tru-life account of the guy who designed the carbine while in federal prison for shooting a couple of Feds who raided his moonshine operation on his backwoods property.

Jimmy Stewart played the title role. If you can find the movie I highly recommend it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody ever seen the film Carbine Williams?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnKSa
March 13, 2005, 12:22 AM
Good movie. Entertaining and informative.

Mr. Williams designed the gas system used in the M1 Carbine and also the floating chamber used by Colt in the .22 conversion for the 1911A1.

anapex
March 13, 2005, 08:56 AM
Yep good movie about "Carbine" Williams.

bcbr
March 13, 2005, 10:34 AM
I have seen it. I read a write up in a gun rag a few years past and it really dissed the movie.
Not a very factual account at all,but good entertainment. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorites. :)

bcbr
March 13, 2005, 10:39 AM
Some info
http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/m1_carbine/ :cool:

lesjones
March 13, 2005, 10:36 PM
Thibodeaux just got back from the North Carolina Museum of History and has a report on Carbine Williams history and the museum exhibit.

http://www.saysuncle.com/archives/2005/03/13/carbine_williams_exhibit/

49hudson
March 14, 2005, 12:30 AM
The remmington Model 550, .22 cal also has the williams floating chamber, which alllowed it to shoot shorts, longs and long rifle .22's intermixed.
I have one that was given to me in 1950 or 51. Been so long ago I can't remember when exactly, but it still works like new.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anybody ever seen the film Carbine Williams?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!