It's official...I've joined the Bottom Feeders...

PDA

Tony Mig
March 13, 2005, 08:58 AM
Well....it's official....I'am now the proud owner of a new fangled plastic bottom feeder type handgun.
Picked up a new 4" (service model) Springfield XD in 9mm yesturday morning, and was on the range and shooting the steel plates by noon. I also picked up 6 boxes of CCI Blaser, and quickly evaporated 4 of them in short order. If it was a nicer day (weather wise) I would have stayed until I shot it all up, but it was cold, windy and nasty out there, and I didn't want to expose my new gun to those harsh conditions..... :D

One quick glance at the instruction book, and this thing falls apart in your hands, cleans up quick, and goes back together just as fast.
The cool part is, I got one of the Springfield promo deals with three mags, and a fully adjustable kydex holster. The trigger is smooth, with a crisp break, but it's just a little on the heavy side, but with only 400 rounds through it, I'll give it some time to break-in, and I'm sure it'll get even better with use.

After I unloaded the Beretta 96FS I had, I swore I'd never get another bottom feeder again, and here I'am....
At least this time I had plenty of oppertunity to shoot a couple of these guns before buying one, and that's a big help when buying a gun.

So I guess next I'll have to get the Sub-Compact XD-9, then the 5" Tactical, then one of each in the other calibers..............HELP...I'VE GOT G.A.S..........that's Gun Acquisition Syndrom....(not the other kind)... :eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "It's official...I've joined the Bottom Feeders..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
eagle45
March 13, 2005, 09:44 AM
The good news is, you bought a fine bottom feeder.

The bad news is, G.A.S. is incurable and you will soon be out searching for another. Oh wait, that's good news too! :D

I have the XD 4" in .40, 5" tactical in .40 and yesterday picked up the sub compact in .40 also. Those are hard to find in my area right now. I found one at the local gun show and bought it without looking for more, and there was not another to be found in .40. Lots of the 9mm tho.

Mine did not come with the holster, but I don't need another tac holster anyway. It came with one standard mag (9 round for the sub compact) and one high cap (12 round for the sub compact).

I think you'll be real happy with your choice. They are easy to maintain, are accurate and easy to carry. Don Hume's JIT holster is worth looking at if you are interested in a leather belt holser.

Saw the XD 45 GAP yesterday too. Hmmmmmm? :neener:

LoadedDrum
March 13, 2005, 10:01 AM
I too have G.A.S. Four guns in four weeks.

If it makes you feel better about being a "bottom feeder", I just became a "back loader". :)

Tony Mig
March 14, 2005, 08:49 AM
Well then...welcome to the "Back Loader's" club LoadedDrum, it's a fine community of shooters. With only 6 rounds at a time, you really learn to place your shots well, and it does provide for good shooting habits when you pick those bottom feeders back up..... :)

I just found a good price on the 9mm CCI Blaser Brass ammo at Midway.com, and will be placing an order for a 1,000 round case this morning. I'll be saving what brass I manage to find as I'll eventually pick up the shell plate, dies and other neccessities to reload this caliber, but for now I'll break her in with factory ammo.

The hard part here is....I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, but my range is only open to the public on weekends....... :(

sturmruger
March 14, 2005, 03:06 PM
Join the club the club I have a serious issue with GAS. I keep buying SA XDs. I have a XD40 and a completely tricked out 5" XD9. If you haven't found it yet many XD owners hang out over at www.xdtalk.com Check out their sponsors if you are looking for any parts for your XD.

I had my XD tricked out by Rich at Canyon Creek. He does amazing work on Xd triggers.

Bluecard
March 14, 2005, 04:06 PM
Whew!! For a minute there I though you'd bought a Lorcin!!! The XD is an awsome gun. I think if it's continued to marketed right, its going to give Glock a run for it's money. I found it's predecessor, the HS-2000 in 9MM the other day for $290 and picked it up. Smoking deal and it goes well with my XD-40. My brother just picked up a tactical and I have had a hell of a time finding him a nice leather custom holster for it.. Any ideas since your a new XD owner?? :)

Tony Mig
March 14, 2005, 10:07 PM
Not really Bluecard, mine came with a molded kydex holster, and it works well for the shooting range, so I really haven't been shopping around for any leather for this gun. I will be buying one of those Fobus double mag holders for it...(I like my accessories to match)....

I'm sure if you surf any of the major holster maker's websites you'll find something for an XD, and I'm sure there will be more coming out in the near future as this gun is starting to make inroads with Law Enforcement.

medmo
March 15, 2005, 02:07 AM
Sounds like you picked up the same deal that I have been eye-balling at the gun shop. A semi-clear plastic case with the 3 hi caps and a holster? It looks like a screaming deal that is drawing me in.... GAS is a beautiful thing, eh?

Tony Mig
March 15, 2005, 04:10 PM
Don't look at it too long Medmo, these things are selling like hot cakes around these parts. I was just in a shop called Lawmen Supply, they had one XD-40 left in the case. The guy behind the counter told me he can't keep them in the store, as soon as a shipment comes in, they go right out. And these package deal guns are the first to go........

Pointman1776
March 17, 2005, 01:22 AM
Nice choice!

Now just you wait until you try one o' dem Sig-thingies, like a P226, P228, P229 or even P220. And heaven help you if you get yer mits on a "Sport".

:D

trickyasafox
March 17, 2005, 02:50 AM
congrats on ur purchase :)

medmo
March 18, 2005, 02:27 AM
I guess the package in 9mm is hard to come by.... I checked again this afternoon and no luck. They are requesting them in 9mm from their distributor so I hope one shows up soon.

one45auto
March 18, 2005, 08:22 AM
You're only a bottom feeder because you didn't get a Glock. :neener:

Seriously though, congratulations and enjoy! :)

Tony Mig
March 18, 2005, 08:58 AM
Now just you wait until you try one o' dem Sig-thingies, like a P226, P228, P229 or even P220. And heaven help you if you get yer mits on a "Sport".

Pointman1776.....I did try the Sig, actually tried a couple of them and didn't like the sights or the grip, plus the trigger felt wierd to me......

You're only a bottom feeder because you didn't get a Glock.

one45auto......don't like the grip angle, and some of them tend to pinch my trigger finger.

Guns are like work boots....some guys swear by Wolverine's, some guys swear by Timberlands, some guys swear by Red Wings, and some guys swear by whatever is the cheapest thing on the shelf at K-Mart........

PCRCCW
March 18, 2005, 01:43 PM
Well........I dont think that lowely of you! You should have gotten a CZ for gosh sakes...but the XD is still a favorite of mine. Good on ya.........Enjoy it.
Shoot well.

If you enjoyed reading about "It's official...I've joined the Bottom Feeders..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!