Help selecting a rifle!

PDA

Waffen
March 13, 2005, 07:50 PM
With it being tax return season, and me being hired on by a large computer corperation I decided I would treat myself to a new (to me) rifle. Large portions of my return are allocated twards other things, so that leaves me with limited funds. I am looking to spend $150-$250 on some sort of rifle.

Qualities looking for:

-Bolt or Semi Auto
-Open sights
-Large supplies of cheap ammo (pretty much narrows it down to a military cartrige)
-Full power cartrige .30 cal or above
-Reliable
-Deacent aftermarket supply of parts

I have already begun looking at different models on gunbroker and auction arms, so far I have found these models of intrest.

Enfield in .303 British
AK varant in 7.62x39mm
SKS in 7.62x39mm
Mauser chambered in 06' or .308, or 8mm
SAIGA .308 (If I could find one cheap enough.)

If there are any more models fitting the criteria please let me know!!

Of the ones I have listed, what would yall say is the most fun to own? This gun will have no hunting purpose at all, just a range toy and plinker. Thanks for all your help!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help selecting a rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SpookyPistolero
March 13, 2005, 08:10 PM
I think it might be a bit hard to find an AK for that price, so I would move past it. Luckily, the SKS is certainly no slouch, enough to that some people wonder if the AK has much merit over it. You could get an unissued Yugo SKS and 1000 rnds or Wolf ammo plus some other accessories for the money you've got.

Also, have you considered a nagant? You could get a carbine, the M38 for around 60 or 70, and surplus 7.62x54r is not much (~ $80 for 800). Heck, without the ammo costs, you could get a nagant and the SKS.

I actually just bought a Saiga .308 off of a board member here but it will be a while before it arrives. I'll be sure and let you know how it shoots though!

Basically, all the choices you list look very good for 'fun' guns. If youre looking for more of a fun plinker, I might lean away from the very full-power stuff like a mauser or nagant, just because you could spend longer at the range without your shoulder wearing out. Just a thought.

Overall, the SKS gets my nod, just because it ranks high on the fun meter.

Good luck!

Black Snowman
March 13, 2005, 08:17 PM
On that tight of a budget I'm going to have to say SKS for fun and S-R K-31 for accuracy and power. Sure, the K-31 ammo is much more expensive per shot, but you won't burn through nearly as fast as you would with an SKS so actually ammo costs are probably a wash.

Also, if you have any interest in reloading, the K-31 is actually accurate enough to take advantage of quality ammunition and powerful enough for longer range shooting and hunting of most North American game.

yesterdaysyouth
March 13, 2005, 08:39 PM
i would pick up a saiga, but since you want open sights, i would go for the 762x39

then when you get some more cash, convert it to evil, and then have some fun!!

i have a gun that's more fun, but it cost alot more and cost alot more to feed, so i don't get to shoot it nearly as much..

Waffen
March 13, 2005, 09:06 PM
I forgot to mention this, but I have previously owned a Yugo SKS that was a complete POS. I am willing to give the SKS the benefit of the doubt, and attribute that crappy SKS to my (at the time) newb gun purchasing. I still however do not want a Yugo. I realise this might raise the base price a little as the Yugo's seem to be at the bottom end of the spectrum in terms of SKS's.

I was wondering what other varants I should be looking for in my price range. Norinco, Russian, Albanian?

rbernie
March 13, 2005, 09:55 PM
Norinco SKS + TechSight (http://www.tech-sights.com) = Happy Waffen.

MrMurphy
March 13, 2005, 10:46 PM
Get the SKS and add the new Tech-Sight rear aperature.

spurrit
March 15, 2005, 06:43 AM
'nuff said. (Ak's & SKS's SUCK{unless you're one of those urban ninja idiots})

iamkris
March 15, 2005, 08:08 AM
For your criteria a Yugo M48, 24/47 or 98K are possibilities. A K31 would fill the bill nicely but there isn't CHEAP ammo. I reload so that is solved on my K31.

The SKS makes it without the full power part.

...and spurrit seems to want to make lots of people mad at him/her...or maybe is a refuge from arfcom where they talk that way.

Waffen
March 15, 2005, 10:38 AM
Call me an "Urban Ninja" then.

Nothing wrong with a little divercity in my gun collection.

jefnvk
March 15, 2005, 11:24 AM
I would give the Yugo another chance. Mine and my firends have been nothing but great.

OTOH, if I were using your criteria, I'd buy the Mauser in 8mm. It is about the cheapest centerfire ammo you can find right now, last gunshow had cases of 1400 rounds for $80. And at least to me, it is just as fun as the SKS.

Waffen
March 15, 2005, 01:38 PM
I have decided to go with the SKS for sure. I work 4 10 hour days a week, so that leaves me 3 days to run around town to find the perfect SKS for me! I also plan to order a "tech sight" next week when I get another paycheck.

I was wondering, what would a deacent trigger job run me for this rifle? Are their pre-assembeled trigger groupes with trigger jobs already done? What else can be done to accurize this rifle?

yorec
March 15, 2005, 02:20 PM
With your criteria, looks like you've limited yourself to guns of the type you've listed. There are others, surely, but you aren't going to find any wonderful surprises.

I'd go with the AK myself given such limits. The SKS is a great gun, but the only advantage is that you'd be able to buy more ammo given the $$$ limit. Naw, if it was me, I'd save some more money and get what I really want - but then I'm nearly always in the "saving for a new gun" mode anyway!

ocabj
March 15, 2005, 03:16 PM
Finnish M-39 from Wholesale G&A (http://www.gunsnammo.com).

MoeMentum
March 15, 2005, 07:57 PM
Sks

Lonestar.45
March 16, 2005, 01:33 AM
Get the SKS. I'd go here: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Rifles.html and order myself an unissued or "select" grade, have it shipped to your local shop, pay the FFL transfer fee, and call it good. I got an unissued SKS from AIM and I can tell you, you won't be sorry. They're in practically new shape (I don't think mine was ever shot), the wood is nice, bluing perfect, they're all milled, and tough as nails. Ammo is cheap, they're more accurate than an AK (though not as accurate as a bolt gun possibly, but close at 100yds). I can't say enough about my Yugo as a plinker and range gun. I love it. I think it's the best deal out there right now.

If you want to learn more about the SKS's, spend some time on this site and you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know: http://www.sksboards.com/forum/

SUE ROVR
March 16, 2005, 01:57 AM
Buy a NIB Remington 700 VS if you can still find one. If you look hard you can find them for $500 after the $50 rebate.

Then buy a Tasco for $50 and save your pennies for upgrades.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help selecting a rifle!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!