New stock question

PDA

Hot brass
March 13, 2005, 09:05 PM
I have a Savage .223 short action. It has the plastic stock and I would like to change to a different one. Who has a Duramax stock and does it have the pilars in it? Is the stock a keeper? I have never seen one, and would hate to spend the money and not like the stock.

If you enjoyed reading about "New stock question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Farnham
March 13, 2005, 10:21 PM
Midway (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=696565)

Just put one on my 10FP in .308. Looks great, fits great, shoots great.

Farnham

ocabj
March 14, 2005, 12:52 PM
May require work. Read my review. (http://www.savageshooters.com/Reviews/DuramaxStock.html)

You can get the Duramaxx for about $80. In my opinion, I'd get a pulled/used laminate stock off a 12BVSS. You can acquire one for about $120 if you look around on boards (specifically, SavageShooters.com). This stock is heavier and the front forend bottom is flat, which makes it great for bench use. It's a good drop in fit, even if you use a thicker/wider recoil lug.

Shalako
March 14, 2005, 09:00 PM
For a bench gun, the BVSS stock or the Savage Low Profile stock would be great. The SSS varmint/tactical even better. The McMillan is probably best.

For a hiking around and hunting gun the DuraMaxx is awesome. Be sure to free-float the tang area of your savage for optimal results. My DuraMaxx needed some whittling at the tang and some sanding in the barrel channel to free-float properly.

Hot brass
March 15, 2005, 12:17 PM
Guys thank you all for your input. I called and talked to B&C, I called and talked to Lock Stock and BBL. I ordered the Stockade Woodchuck Varmint/Tactical from LS&B. My 12FV .223 will have a new stock in a few weeks.

If you enjoyed reading about "New stock question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!