So, tell me all about your Cooper rifle...

PDA

Richard.Howe
March 13, 2005, 11:48 PM
I'm thinking about ordering a Cooper Varmit Extreme in 260 Rem or 6.5-284. This will be a long-range 'lope and 'yote gun in practical use.

I can only find limited info on this/other board about the Cooper. What's your experience -- are they reliable, accurate, tough?

Be honest, what are the downside(s)?

What have you done, if anything, to make yours "better?"

Thanks,
Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "So, tell me all about your Cooper rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
March 14, 2005, 03:12 AM
My review. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=129039)

I've only had mine for about a month but I'm extremely pleased with it.

If you look at the big picture, they're quite inexpensive for what you get in return.

The only downside is that I would kick myself if I took it into the field and screwed it up. I believe Daniel Flory said it best:

Coopers are beautiful and functional. I don't think you could ask for more out of a rifle.

Some fine tuning of my reloading practices and I should be shooting a consistent 1/4" at 100 yards. Another user here, lunde, has a few and has great things to say about them. I'm sure he'll drop by shortly.

The only modification I've done is to get a trigger job. Now, the trigger was crisp and delightful...albeit a tad heavy at 2 lbs 14 oz. The gun certainly didn't NEED one.

My best 100 yard five shot group to date:

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL348/919855/3159588/89068664.jpg

You're wasting time...and the varmints are multiplying.... :p

Ed

JohnBT
March 14, 2005, 09:22 AM
I bought my dad a Model 57 Custom Classic and we couldn't be happier with it...straight out of the box. The trigger was great and IIRC measured 2.4# on a Lyman digital.

What are you waiting for? Get out the credit card and don't look back.

John

Gewehr98
March 14, 2005, 06:29 PM
It was a beautiful rifle, the fit and finish were remarkable. This was a heavy-stainless barrel gun, and it shot tight little cloverleafs at 100 yards.

The only thing I didn't like about the gun was the goofy bolt handle angle, sticking out there like it does. Granted, I know it has a smaller angle of bolt lift with three lugs up front, but the darned thing looks like the kickstand on my Harley, sticking out there the way it does. :(

JohnBT
March 15, 2005, 04:49 PM
Seeing that things are a tad slow around here on the subject of Coopers and varmints, have you tried asking at the Go Go Varmint Go Message Board?

www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/index.shtml

Big bolt handles are easier to use with gloves for those that like to dress up to hunt.

JT

larryw
March 16, 2005, 03:38 PM
Below is a reprint of a comment I posted on Rimfire Central's Cooper board last January. Since then, I've come to appreciate the gun even more.

A couple friends also have Coopers and all love them. I think esheato nailed this one, Coopers are an exceptional value.

And for those of us who love wood, the stock on my Cooper is nicer than any furniture in my home. ;)

---------------------------------------------------

I bought a 57M Classic used from an online dealer a while back (left-hand action). Gun was absolutely gorgeous when I got it, silky smooth and oozed quality. Test target showed .187" group (not bad for a light sporty).

I had some problems getting the gun to shoot consistent groups, so I called Cooper. "Send it in, we'll take care of you."

"But, I bought it used."

"Send it in, we'll take care of you."

Over the next couple weeks, they rebedded the gun and weren't happy with it; recut the crown, not happy; rechambered it, still not happy. At this point, it was obvious they were taking this problem personally and pulled out all the stops: they rebarreled the gun, shot a bunch of groups (I have them, all under .2" and all hitting the same spot on the target), and sent it back. Family owned and operated: they take the fact that their name is on the gun seriously.

I also had problems with 4 of the magazines I bought from another retailer; Cooper tuned them and they feed 100% now. The one that came with the gun was always 100%.

Remember, I bought this gun USED and all I paid to get all this done was shipping to MT.

Gun is scary accurate, shooting rested 1/4" groups at 50 with WMT ($2/box), better with the good stuff. Balance is perfect, the 100M Rams are MINE!

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. Would I recommend one? Already have several times without hesitation.

lunde
March 17, 2005, 04:26 PM
I recommend Cooper Arms rifles without hesitation. I own six, all of them being Montana Varminters (aka, MTVs). What can I say? I am a sucker for those buick holes. Three are M21 actions: .204 Ruger, .223, and 6mm PPC. The other three are M22 actions: .22-250, .243, and .308. My .308 has taken two antelope thus far, and my .223 and .22-250 have taken hundreds of prairie dogs.

One suggestion I can make is that you consider the Montana Varminter over the Varmint Extreme, as it is a better value.

GunsAmerica has a few up right now. See:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976548340.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976566229.htm

Most people order the 6.5 x 284 ones with 26-inch barrels, though the standard barrel length is 24 inches. When ordering, the 26-inch barrel is a no-additional-cost option for M22 rifles.

kaferhaus
March 17, 2005, 04:31 PM
I've paid a lot more for custom and semi-custom rifles that didn't have near the value the Cooper does.

One of the few rifles over $600 that's actually worth the difference in performance.

I've had HS's that cost twice the price of the cooper that don't shoot as good as my box stock Savage BVSS 308...

Sad but true...

Truly a quality rifle at a fair price for the performance.

Brass Balls
September 13, 2005, 12:04 AM
The Coopers sure are an attractive rifle and I've read lots of good things about them. I'm also looking at the Dakota rifles and wonder if anyone can draw a comparison between the Coopers and Dakotas?

BigG
September 13, 2005, 09:53 AM
I've looked them over at gunshows but never bought, but have been tempted. Each rifle has a target attached that looks about like it was punched with a paper punch the group is so small. Coopers are beautiful with great looking stocks. They are single shots, so the action would be stiffer than one with a magazine. I would buy one if I wanted a varmint gun.

Dionysusigma
September 13, 2005, 10:43 AM
If you look at the big picture, they're quite inexpensive for what you get in return.
esheato, I'm looking at the big picture and all I see is a dime and somebody's used target. :confused: Are you telling me that you have to pay around $1700 and all you get back is ten cents? :scrutiny:

:D :p :rolleyes: :D

rick_reno
September 13, 2005, 11:31 AM
I've been doing some load development for a friend who got one of their 22-250 rifles a couple of months ago, he doesn't reload and doesn't care to learn how. It's a beautiful rifle. The downside - first firing the brass (factory ammo) was very difficult to extract. Bolt movement was very difficult to move and trigger had a lot of creep. He called Cooper, gun went back. The chamber hadn't been polished and the people at Cooper said it was very rough, they fixed that and the trigger. Gun come back. Trigger is great and brass is easy to extract. Shoots very good with the barrel shimmed. He talked to Cooper again yesterday and was told how to tighten the screws. We'll see how it does this week, I'm putting together some more ammo - started on it last night. He's thinking about a Nesika.

esheato
September 13, 2005, 07:13 PM
esheato, I'm looking at the big picture and all I see is a dime and somebody's used target. Are you telling me that you have to pay around $1700 and all you get back is ten cents?

In so many words....yes. :p

Ed

Brass Balls
September 13, 2005, 11:27 PM
Can anyone draw a comparison between the Coopers and Dakotas?

If you enjoyed reading about "So, tell me all about your Cooper rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!