Purpose of this trigger arrangement?

PDA

Ardent
March 14, 2005, 02:56 AM
I've seen these in many pics but have never asked the purpose of the double triggers on a bolt action...

Thanks folks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/angusmo/untitled.bmp

If you enjoyed reading about "Purpose of this trigger arrangement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
max popenker
March 14, 2005, 03:09 AM
thats' a typical Europan arrangement for set trigger
you pull the forward "trigger' to set it, then only very short and light pull on the rear trigger will do bang.
Myself, I'm strictly opposed to set/hair triggers, esp. in hunting rifles - i've seen way too many ND's (thanks God, with no physical damage) because of very light set triggers.

Henry455
March 14, 2005, 12:46 PM
Not sure about all "set trigger" guns but on my BRNO ZKW465 .22 Hornet, you pull the REAR trigger to set and pull the foward trigger to fire.

mete
March 14, 2005, 01:03 PM
There are single set triggers and double set triggers. The worst case I've seen were muzzle loading rifles made a while ago that were usually used for hunting and plinking .They were set triggers ,about 1/2 lb set and 11 lbs unset .One was much too heavy and the other too light for most uses and you couldn't even modify them .I don't like any set trigger on hunting guns, a 3-4 lb trigger is all you need.

SRYnidan
March 14, 2005, 06:53 PM
One needs to understand that much of European (German) hunting is done from a stand or high seat. The hunter is not stalking with the rifle but shooting from a well prepared stand. The arrangement allows for two different trigger pulls in one rifle. It is also useful when one needs to take a longer than normal shot and allows for trigger pull more like one would see on a varmint or competition rifle.

Chuck R.
March 14, 2005, 08:35 PM
I’ve got a couple Ballard made High-Walls, and a Ballard Low-Wall, and a Shiloh Sharps, with double sets. The rear sets the system, front fires the gun. Two of my Steyr Mannlichers have single set triggers, you push the trigger forward to set it. A high-wall single set works the same way, and on that system it takes quite a bit of effort.

As SRYnidan pointed out, they’re for either target work like my BPCRs, or for hunting from a stand or solid rest. For “snap” shots you have the standard trigger pull, but when time and a rest allows you have the light “target” trigger available.

Chuck

MrMurphy
March 14, 2005, 11:24 PM
Watch Quigley Down Under to see a double set trigger in use properly.

Gewehr98
March 14, 2005, 11:40 PM
It's a Canjar. Left in the normal position, the pull is just over 2 pounds.

Push the whole thing forward with your thumb until the "kicker" protrudes from the trigger shoe, and you've got a set trigger that releases at just over a couple ounces.

Versatile is the first word I'd use to describe it. ;)

4v50 Gary
March 14, 2005, 11:49 PM
I've got set triggers on some flintlocks. The German Jager rifles of the mid 18th Century had them.

BTW, If I didn't know better, I'd say it gives you twice the opportunity to miss. :p :neener:

beerslurpy
March 15, 2005, 01:35 AM
Supposedly my tikka is 3 lbs normally but can be set to like 2 ounces if you push it forward. Ive never been able to do that.

cracked butt
March 15, 2005, 02:11 AM
I have double set on my flintlock. Its really nice for range shooting, but I don't see the point of having it on that rifle as it being a RB shooter, its only good to about 150 for target work and about 1/2 that for hunting. IMHO a nicely setup 2-stage trigger would be better all around as you get the safety factor of the first stage with the precision of a very light 2nd stage.

Ardent
March 16, 2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks guys, now I know! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Purpose of this trigger arrangement?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!