Anyone shot a Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol

PDA

Lobotomy Boy
March 14, 2005, 09:25 PM
The thing looks like a handful, but it's an interesting idea, especially the new S versions with handguards. Anyone own one of these babies? Are they controllable? Accurate? I imagine they're crazy loud.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shot a Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Z28
March 14, 2005, 09:49 PM
ALL THE ABOVE AND THREE FEET OF FIRE! :cool:

Magnuumpwr
March 14, 2005, 11:55 PM
I recently purchased one of the 21S's. Mounted a 30MM red dot on it and bam, it makes using the open sights easier being it has mil style sights. Also made a loop sling so that it hangs @ the ready by my side. I'll have to post a pic.

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 01:08 AM
It's interesting.
Almost no recoil.
Accurate.
Loud.
Nice fireball.
Next week I should have an AK pistol to. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Bushmasterfiring.jpg

cpileri
March 15, 2005, 06:06 AM
The velocity of the 55gr out of a 7-in AR pistol is comparable to the 40gr out of the soon-to-be-gone 5.7x28, right?
Although the AR-pstol lacks the better concealability of the 5.7, for ballistics purposes you shouldn't miss a thing!
FWIW
C-

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 10:23 AM
I chronographed the 7 inch barrel last week.
1971 to 2296 FPS , depending on the ammo.
With my 12 year old reloads doing 1971fps and 10 year old Winchester White box doing 2296fps. (Wolf does 2188fps)

This is 1/4 inch steel shot with Wolf (top) and PMC (bottom) from 15 yards.
Later I shot it with WW box. It cratered like the PMC.
As a comparison, the .223 from a rifle will easily go through this plate at 100+ yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/BMpistolsteelshot.jpg

Lobotomy Boy
March 15, 2005, 10:38 AM
Undoubtedly the pistol will have weaker ballistics than the carbine or rifle.

But how does it compare to other handguns? How does it compare to any caliber Glock?

Seems to me that this might be a handy compliment to an AR in a SHTF scenario.

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 11:18 AM
I use that steel plate for bullet traps and backstops.

A Glock or any pistol in the 9mm, 45ACP range will do nothing more than scratch the paint.
High velocity rounds like the 357 will slightly dent/crater the steel and eventually make it unusable.

I've used these backstops for many years and many thousands of rounds of 22, 9mm, 45, etc. and they will last for many thousand rounds more.

But the Bushie pistol would destroy this steel in short order. :)

A 9mm, 45ACP, or .223???
A 55gr FMJ or JSP doing almost 2300fps is something that's going to hurt. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Steelbulletstop1.jpg

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 11:25 AM
Lobotomy Boy
"Seems to me that this might be a handy compliment to an AR in a SHTF scenario."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I think it has it's uses.
I've already tried a Red Dot on it, works great, and I've got a laser on it now.

I live out of town, with a little ground, and it seems like it will make a good house gun.
Also, for my use, a good walking around at night gun for 2 and 4 legged critters. :)

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 11:49 AM
Question Magnuumpwr.

I can't tell from your picture how you have the sling attached?

And the drum mag functions OK?

I've got some old AR 20 and 30 round mags that work 100% in the rifles but won't feed in the pistol (weak springs probably).
I've been thinking about getting a drum mag.

Magnuumpwr
March 15, 2005, 03:00 PM
M2, the pistol has a sling stud below the buffer tube (factory installed, of course). The sling on the other hand was quicker for me to make rather than ordering one. Oh yes, the 100 rd beta mag!! :cool: It is mainly for looks, but yes it does fit and function properly. In a couple of days, when the sun comes back out, I will take some better photos of it. :barf:

M2 Carbine
March 15, 2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks Magnuumpwr.
My 97 pistol has an Allen bolt there. Should be an easy replacement with a sling stud.

If you'll have a fairly dark backgroung behind you gun, the gun will show up better.
I'm checking out the laser to see which one I want to leave on the gun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/BMpistolchair.jpg

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 16, 2005, 12:21 AM
Ok, so what if you want to get one without the buffer tube sticking out the back? Anybody have any experience with the funky reverse-gas-op no-buffer-tube jobbies?

...or is it better to not try to reinvent the wheel on these?

Regards,
Rabbit.

M2 Carbine
March 17, 2005, 11:23 AM
Sylvilagus,

I remember seeing those other 223 pistols quite a while ago, I wasn't interested at the time.
One thing, I thought the 223 pistol would be a handfull, recoil, etc.
(but actually it doesn't have the recoil of a 38 pistol)

When I got interested in the Bushmaster I looked for those other models but couldn't find any information.

I don't like the looks of that tube sticking out the back of the BM but I have to live with it and it functions great.
I call it my paintball gun. It does look like one doesn't it. :)

Magnuumpwr ,
That rear screw was the same thread as the sling stud.
I had a small sling that works perfect for carrying it to the range.
(my rifle range is about a 300 yard walk)

If a guy normally wore a long coat it would be a bad concealed carry pistol. :D

Magnuumpwr
March 17, 2005, 11:47 AM
Does anyone think I would have any problems using mine for a CCW? :what: From what I can see the only limits are on the smallest caliber it can be. And @ 9 yds., oh my that sure would be messy!! :evil:

Lobotomy Boy
March 17, 2005, 11:51 AM
I like the idea lf the Carbon 15 Pistol for CCW duty, but it might print a bit.

Jay Kominek
March 17, 2005, 01:47 PM
Is the upper/lower mating on these standard? Or are they incompatible with other uppers/lowers?

(I can't imagine why I'd want to do such a thing, but, I'm still curious.)

M2 Carbine
March 17, 2005, 02:48 PM
Jay,
I just tried to swap my BM XM15-E2S (M4) upper and lower with the BM pistol.

Very close to fitting but not quite just a drop in. The pins don't line up perfect.

The upper actions are somewhat different.
The pistol bolt is built exactly the same as the rifle but is about a inch and a half shorter.

Both have the same Colt type lower hammer, spring, etc.

Of course it they did match the feds might get a little testy about the 7 inch barreled rifle. :D

M2 Carbine
March 17, 2005, 02:59 PM
"Lobotomy Boy
I like the idea lf the Carbon 15 Pistol for CCW duty, but it might print a bit."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a short sling, long coat and 20 round magazine it would work.

One thing about it, if you shot at a BG, at short range, at night, and missed, he would still be put out of business because of being blinded, deaf and with third degree burns. :D

This pistol sounds so different that my neighbor, who hears me shooting many different guns all the time, asked me what the heck I was shooting the first time I shot the BM pistol. :)

Lobotomy Boy
March 17, 2005, 03:30 PM
A good friend of mine, a fellow so logical that my wife calls him "Mr. Spock," thinks I'm nuts for wanting one of these, and I have a hard time finding a logical response to that, but I still want one. I hope to have the chance to shoot one someday. Maybe Bushmaster will have some at an open house sometime.

Magnuumpwr
March 17, 2005, 04:06 PM
M2, you forgot to tell him that the BG wouldn't be the only one blinded when firing at night. Kind of like going into a brightly lit room and someone turning out the lights, no one is going anywhere for awhile. :eek: "where did he go, where did he go?" :D

M2 Carbine
March 17, 2005, 05:15 PM
:D Don't you close your eyes everytime before you pull the trigger?

The first chance I get I'm going to try it about dark and see what the video camera will get.

Another project is finding a fast powder for that short barrel.
Hopefully less flash with at least the same velocity.

Lobotomy,
You can't argue with logic. You just have to ignore it. If we only did or bought what is logical we wouldn't have any fun hobbies, guns, flying machines, fancy cars, motorcycles or wives that can't cook. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shot a Bushmaster Carbon 15 pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!