MAK90 stock and parts conversion


Mac Attack
March 15, 2005, 11:43 AM
I just traded into a MAK90 with the butt-hole stock and really would like to change it out to the standard pistol grip furniture. I read on several posts that one must first determine which type of receiver they have before ordering the appropriate furnature.... ie. slanted vs. straight.

Anyways, I need help determining which type I have and also would like recommendations from where I can purchase replacement furniture and what parts would I need to replace to be compliant. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.


If you enjoyed reading about "MAK90 stock and parts conversion" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Kramer Krazy
March 15, 2005, 01:54 PM
You have the more common "stamped" receiver, which takes the "square" mounting area of the buttstock compared with the "round" type used with the milled, I guess I should throw in that changing stocks, "may effect the legality of the rifle", before someone else chimes in with it.

March 15, 2005, 02:17 PM
here is a good resource on what needs to be changed out on a ak type rifle.

in case that dont work it is a sticky here

I do believe tapco sells a parts kit that has every thing you need to be legal.

Mac Attack
March 15, 2005, 05:42 PM
I was looking at the Kvar site and it looks like I have a milled slanted receiver. From what I understand I will have difficultly finding a replacement stock that will fit. Anyone else replace their thumbhole stock with a traditional pistol grip and stock assembly? Anyw suggestions were I can find a stock to fit my rifle?

I think I am square on what parts need to be replaced and think I will order parts from or other sites I read about.

March 15, 2005, 07:16 PM
You might want to check out:

They make a variety of wooden stocks for a variety of AKs, including a slant cut MAK90. The KVar stocks are made for a normal, square receiver. They can be used on a slant cut but you would have to either weld sheet metal onto the reveiver to restore the normal dimensions, which would be expensive and require refinishing, or add epoxy to the stock, sand off and paint to match.

Assuming that your MAK does not have a foreign muzzle device, you would need 5 US parts to comply with the import law. A US stock set would be three and a US trigger set would be another three, putting you one over. If you like the trigger on your MAK the way it is, you might consider picking up some US mag followers and floor plates. With the stock set, they would make the 5 parts that you need. Just don't get caught with an "un Americanized" mag in your rifle.


March 15, 2005, 07:25 PM
do you have a belt sander and some time on your hands??

it's not hard to do...

March 15, 2005, 08:17 PM
I got a good deal on a Mak 90, took off the stock, went to a nearby woodshop, used a band saw to trim out the hole into a pistol grip. Did it slowly, trimmed several times being careful, then used a belt sander to smooth it all out. Next I trimmed the stock angle and smoothed it out. Again, I did several small cuts making sure I had it the way I wanted. Result is a full sized one piece stock with a pistol grip. I then cleaned it up, used krylon flat green, brown, and black in a tiger striped camo pattern on the whole gun. Its my kayak/canoe gun. I carry it in a small duffel bag within easy reach. Its a reliable accurate inexpensive shooter I take care of but don't mind getting wet, muddy or banged around.


March 16, 2005, 02:04 AM
Yours is a stamped angle cut. Milled recievers aren't riveted.
So to get the 5 parts without messing with the trigger or the handgaurds (due to being cheap and too lazy to take off) You could get american made
1) Buttstock
2) Pistol grip
3) Gas piston
4) Mag follower
5) Mag baseplate
Is that correct?

If you enjoyed reading about "MAK90 stock and parts conversion" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!