Signature lines

PDA

TechBrute
March 11, 2003, 10:43 AM
I'll have to say that one of the most enjoyable things about hanging at THR is reading people's signature lines. It seems that everyone has something to say, and usually a funny way of saying it. It is a great way to start the day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Signature lines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
braindead0
March 11, 2003, 10:53 AM
I just wish I could use random sig lines here... ah the good old days of proper email programs... Of course, mail on my Linux box supports it...

10-Ring
March 11, 2003, 11:18 AM
I've approached the sig lines as bumper stickers w/o the adhesive residue :D

Sindawe
March 11, 2003, 11:22 AM
Yeppers, I love those little bits of wisdom, humor and un-PC viewpoints. I've got thousands of 'em on an old OS/2 box in the basement, and I'm discovering new ones all the time. For example:

Fear accompanies the possablity of death. Calm shepards its certanty. -Ka Dargo

When a woman; weither shes' your wife, your lover, or a slave you've purchased to be your wife or lover; leaves you, repetatedly. Take the hint. -Dominar Rygal the 16th

:)

Steve Smith
March 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
The only problem is that mine is in inside joke..maybe I'll change it. Of course, you're OT and you're gonna get locked.

Blackhawk
March 11, 2003, 01:39 PM
pax is a sig line virtuoso.

Seems like she revealed her secrets about the time THR went live. Worth searching and reading about her tricks. :D

COHIBA
March 11, 2003, 01:46 PM
you dont know me, just tell 'em that.

AJ Dual
March 11, 2003, 01:51 PM
What did I put down for a sig? :scrutiny:

(edit) Oh yeah... That was it.

ajacobs
March 11, 2003, 01:52 PM
THR is the one exception when it comes to sig lines on other boards I set my options so I do not view them. Many other places they are unbarebly long, including things like a list of all the firearms they own, pictures, etc.

MitchSchaft
March 11, 2003, 03:58 PM
Mine's more of an advertisement.

Carlos Cabeza
March 11, 2003, 04:47 PM
Notable quotes related to RKBA and associated topics.
As this one I'm sure most recognize from "We Were Soldiers"

Chris Rhines
March 11, 2003, 05:01 PM
I love quotes. Especally weird, esoteric, anti-government ones. ;)

- Chris

dakotasin
March 11, 2003, 07:29 PM
i read almost every sig line i come across in a list of posts, unless they are real long...typically stop reading if they are longer than 2 lines.

i used to frequent truck forums, and the sig lines there were pretty much parts-lists of all the goodies stuffed into their trucks. i haven't run into any like that on hunting/shooting forums, and glad i haven't...

JohnK
March 11, 2003, 08:21 PM
I just wish I could use random sig lines here... ah the good old days of proper email programs...

You know when I first read that line my first thought was of the old offline news readers for BBS systems. You may remember those, where you dialed in with your 2400 baud modem (if you were lucky!) and pulled down the posts a day at a time. :)

sm
March 11, 2003, 08:35 PM
pax,

gifted and talented,
thanks for sharing your quotes as sigs.

I seriously doubt she could be stumped by not having the quote to match her replies in any given subject .

WilderBill
March 11, 2003, 09:12 PM
Well, this one isn't as cute as the one I had on TFL, but it is to the point.

Navy joe
March 11, 2003, 09:52 PM
Not as classy as the Runt-o-meter, but mine change with my moods and whims. Did I mention I live in PETA world HQ? :evil:

Kahr carrier
March 11, 2003, 10:37 PM
Yup its funny some Sig lines are advertisements ,some are links and some are quotes.

Navy joe
March 11, 2003, 11:08 PM
And some feature really black humor, kinda like Kahr carrier's...

A performance center P90... Bwahahaha!

Skullboy
March 12, 2003, 12:55 AM
Yup. Some of the sig lines are a good read!!!:D

SKBY.

Harold Mayo
March 12, 2003, 01:03 AM
I get a kick out of a lot of them. I'm amazed at some of the people who change their signature lines every few days and ALWAYS have an interesting one.

S_O_Laban
March 12, 2003, 01:06 AM
There is nothing off topic about sig lines. I hapen to like most of the sig line my self. let's see there is the 220,239 and....

Schuey2002
March 12, 2003, 02:49 AM
*edit* Will find a new one. :o

Azrael256
March 12, 2003, 03:38 AM
Mine's a song... well, part of it, anyway.

Gewehr98
March 12, 2003, 01:21 PM
One of these days, I promise! :D

spacemanspiff
March 12, 2003, 01:37 PM
mines a little bit cryptic. basically it describes the struggle an individual has to be better than what his/her environment dictates they will become.
if behavior is learned, then bad habits and traits become somewhat hereditary. but how do you 'break that circle'? and are our attempts to leave behind that which abhors and terrifies us futile?

Jack19
March 12, 2003, 01:41 PM
Every time I see Gewehr98's " "Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...," I crack up.

Something about Pooh with a rifle is really funny.

MMcCall
March 12, 2003, 01:43 PM
Am I the only one that has them shut off?

pax
March 12, 2003, 04:49 PM
I don't usually like avatars, but I like the little sketch Kobun attaches to his posts sometimes.

pax

Certain brief sentences are peerless in their ability to give one the feeling that nothing remains to be said. -- Jean Rostand

TheFrontRange
March 12, 2003, 04:58 PM
I've used a quote of Clint Smith's before that I like alot, but mine recounts the start of one of my favorite "Seinfeld" scenes. :D At some point I'm sure I'll revolve back to quotes from Jeff Cooper, etc.

MountainPeak
March 12, 2003, 05:10 PM
I find most of them interesting.

tcdrennen
March 12, 2003, 06:38 PM
I've seen mine borrowed a time or two, which pleased me; it is, of course, an extension on Heinlein's original Lazarus Long bon mot . :evil:

...excuse my French... :scrutiny: :D

cool45auto
March 12, 2003, 07:05 PM
Mine's a line from Lethal Weapon that was in a scene cut from the original movie. It had a bad word in it but I'm new here and don't want to start off on the wrong foot.:D

El Rojo
March 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
I just changed mine yesterday to reflect my unhappiness with the low turnout the THR Postal Match got last month. How do you add a link in it?

RCL
March 12, 2003, 08:28 PM
Well, I always liked the movie. ;)

cheygriz
March 12, 2003, 08:29 PM
I could tell you what my sig line means, but if I did, I'd have to kill you.

blades67
March 12, 2003, 08:54 PM
Mine explains itself.:evil:

pax
March 12, 2003, 10:46 PM
tcdrennen,

Lazarus Long did not say "An armed society is a polite society." It was said by one of the characters in Heinlein's Beyond This Horizon. Don't remember which one, too lazy to go look it up properly. I'm pretty sure LL would have approved of it, though. ;)

pax

The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa. -- Lazarus Long (R. A. Heinlein)

dsgrntldPW
March 12, 2003, 10:53 PM
Mine just tells you how I REALLY feel about my job.

pax
March 12, 2003, 11:02 PM
Disgruntled,

Yeah, a job you hate is a taste of hell, isn't it.

pax

Oh, you hate your job? Well why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that... it's called "Everyone," and we all meet at the bar. -- Drew Carey

4thHorseman
March 13, 2003, 12:49 AM
I enjoy reading the signature lines. Some are very enlightening.

mnealtx
March 13, 2003, 08:01 AM
Are you sure? (In re: Heinlein quote) I would have SWORN that I saw it in "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long"....

Of course, I've slept since then...

coonan357
March 13, 2003, 07:57 PM
I like mine on the grounds of georges plain sense of humor and the fact I was getting at least 1 or 2 e-mails a week asking if I want to sell my coonan the answer is still NO! but I will help on giving info on this firearm .

pax
March 13, 2003, 09:00 PM
mnealtx,

I am SURE that the phrase, "an armed society is a polite society" is in the book Beyond This Horizon.

I am NOT sure whether it is also in Notebooks of Lazarus Long. I didn't see it on a cursory look-through, but I confess I didn't look too hard since who wants to prove themselves wrong? ;)

In any case, the Notebooks were written after BTH, so BTH is the original source. :)

pax

I always have a quotation for everything -- it saves original thinking. -- Dorothy L. Sayers

mnealtx
March 14, 2003, 12:51 AM
Pax,

True, very true. Once again I didn't express myself clearly. Time for Remedial Communication 101, I suppose - gotten to where I skip entire paragraphs because I just ASSUME that the person knows what I know about the subject and that I don't need to explain it.

That wouldn't have been Longcourt Phyllis making the quote, would it have? I remember EP having a quote from BTH (not the 'polite society' one) in her sig a while back... I'm going to have to find another copy and re-read it, I suppose.

Best to you and yours...

pax
March 14, 2003, 01:01 AM
mnealtx,

No, not Longcourt Phyllis. It was, I think, something that Cliff said to Felix -- though it might have been the other way around, or even the author himself. Durnit, I can't find my copy. Made the mistake of letting my son borrow it... it's around here ... somewhere.

Is this my sig the quote you were thinking of?

pax

dongun
March 14, 2003, 04:02 AM
If God had not wanted us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them out of meat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Signature lines" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!