How do you store your rifles?

PDA

ny32182
March 16, 2005, 11:21 AM
Specifically, I mean that whenever your military pattern rifles are put in storage, do you leave the hammer cocked back, or dry fired (forward, resting on the firing pin)?

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EghtySx
March 16, 2005, 11:27 AM
I was always taught to close the action/let the hammer down to take the tension off the springs. Of course, in later years I learned that compressed or relaxed doesn't really contribute to spring wear as the wear comes from the act of compressing and releasing, not the fixed state of either. However, in the interest of dust and habit I guess I like to store my guns closed and relaxed. I dont always dryfire, but I always close actions and let down external hammers.

Third_Rail
March 16, 2005, 11:27 AM
1917 30-06, stored with an empty chamber and dry fired.

762x51
March 16, 2005, 04:35 PM
On my Garand I remove the trigger group and relax the hammer. Gives the wood a chance to expand and keeps the trigger group fitting well. Bolt guns I leave dry fired, empty chamber of course.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do you store your rifles?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!