Hoppes #9 turns 100.

PDA

makdaddy03
March 11, 2003, 03:48 PM
Nice article in the Guns and Ammo Rag.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes #9 turns 100." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jsalcedo
March 11, 2003, 03:52 PM
Is it true they changed the formula to leave out the sweet smelling banana oil?

I have one old bottle and one new and they don't really
smell all the same.

Does anyone have the scoop?

makdaddy03
March 11, 2003, 04:00 PM
My new bottle smells like bananas.:)

MitchSchaft
March 11, 2003, 04:54 PM
Mine smells like butane and the wife hates it.

Khornet
March 11, 2003, 05:36 PM
but I do notice a difference lately: it seems to be removing copper, which I never noticed before.

Sean Smith
March 11, 2003, 05:59 PM
Time to buy some MPC FP-10. :evil:

Mal H
March 11, 2003, 06:08 PM
Ohmigod! Now you're making me feel old. I've been using it since it had its 50th anniversary. But, some around here [Sam] probably remember when it was first introduced.

Riphalman
March 11, 2003, 06:56 PM
My wife hates the smell too. You'd think that after all of these years, she'd have finally gotten used to it. No such luck. Me....I love it. I always that it'd make a great aftershave. Splash a little on.....ahhhhh.

Monkeyleg
March 11, 2003, 07:56 PM
Somewhere I have an unopened vintage bottle saved for a special ocassion. Perhaps this 100th is it.

Standing Wolf
March 11, 2003, 10:51 PM
Yeah, and it's a great after-shave lotion, too!

Nightfall
March 11, 2003, 11:12 PM
Hoppes #9 fits in that same category as that smell you get at an active range... it's a scent associated with shooting, and that association makes it smell damn good to me! :D

fallingblock
March 11, 2003, 11:21 PM
It seems that every female I've been around with an open bottle of Hoppes (admittedly a fairly small sample population) has detested the smell of it...whilde still being pro-gun.:D

twoblink
March 11, 2003, 11:28 PM
Hoppes #9, what a sexy woman at the range smells like..

I asked this question on TFL before; CLP or Hoppes for scent..

Don't worry if your wife hates it, because years later, she will have it as a reminder of you..

fallingblock
March 12, 2003, 02:06 AM
Maybe if I gradually accustom her to the scent by leaving a patch here and there?:D

sm
March 12, 2003, 03:57 AM
Somewhere around here...
...when it was labeled under original Penguin Industries...

-Is:
- part of a quart, with the old cardboard box
-an un-opened 2 oz.bottle I paid .79 at a Magic Mart.
-50th anniversary2 0z. bottle

-TIN can of Hoppe's Lubricating Oil
( Manufactured by Frank A. Hoppe, Inc.,Eighth & Dauphine Streets, Philadelphia , PA, USA.( I won as a brat shooting NRA sponsored rimfire.)

careful , I'm not quite 48, time flies and one says things they swore they wouldn't...when I get THAT age

Still think the old stuff worked better than the new (guess the nitro bene whatever cancer thingee was the ticket). The oil still good btw...won this when 10, 11.y/o

( Kleen-bore equavalent around here too...)

hawk0484
March 12, 2003, 01:15 PM
Do any of our female posters like the smell?

This one does!

Scents have associations for me, like watermelon=summertime, sunscreen=beach. Hoppes #9=shooting or cleaning weapons....ahhhhhhhhh.

Becky

Kingcreek
March 12, 2003, 01:37 PM
I have a vintage bottle of Hoppes in the box on a shelf next to the box of Marbles patches and Marbles 2 piece mahogany and brass shotgun rod, and the winchester gun oil in a metal can. someday I'm gonna build a wall display and include dads huntin vest and grandads hat.
Hoppes does smell different than it used to, but maybe it was a chemical thing when it mixed with the paper hulls and old powder. whatever- you gotta love the stuff.

redman900
February 21, 2008, 12:01 AM
Wish they would make a men's colone that smelled like that.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hoppes #9 turns 100." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!