My first battle rifle....M14SA

PDA

SnakeEater
March 17, 2005, 10:00 PM
After what seemed like an eternity, but was actually 1 month, I picked up my first true battle rifle today. It's an LRB Arms complete build, the M14SA. I'm obviously very excited to get to the range, but I thought I'd share some pics with everyone in the meantime. I'm not sure what the numbers on the buttstock are and I don't know if I should remove them or not. I wish I could take pictures that do her justice.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first battle rifle....M14SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Markowitz
March 17, 2005, 11:10 PM
Nice! Looking forward to a range report.

Michael Zeleny
March 18, 2005, 04:31 AM
There is nothing like starting at the top. A forged double-lugged M14 semi-auto receiver is my holy grail. Best of luck with your boom stick. Please report its performance.

homeka45
March 18, 2005, 04:40 AM
You did good, sub m.o.a. no doubt.

cgv69
March 18, 2005, 08:56 AM
Very Nice! Right now I am very green and it has nothing to do with St. Patty's day! :D

Redneck Revolver
March 18, 2005, 09:15 AM
*whistles* wow...what a beautiful rifle....i could almost cry.

30Cal
March 18, 2005, 01:39 PM
That's a great looking rifle! Should be a fun and accurate shooter. It's a 3 MoA shooter for sure, maybe a little better. I wouldn't hold my breath for sub-MoA unless you've spent the extra money for a top-end accuracy job (glass bedding, carefully selected and hand fitted parts). Looks like a standard profile GI stock, so I'm guessing it's not bedded.

I wish I'd gone with just a standard receiver instead of a rear lugged one. The lugs don't really add much these days with the steel filled bedding epoxies now commonly used. Much more durable than the old glass bedding compounds. The extra lugs add surface area that makes the bedding last longer, but don't buy any improvement in accuracy. Back in the days of wooden ships, iron men and glass bedding, the military service rifle teams would have to repair the bedding on the rifles halfway through the season (shooting 6 days a week, 100+rds a day)--that's what inspired the added lugs. Double lugged rifles are known to be fairly tempermental.

Ty

bad LT
March 18, 2005, 09:53 PM
If that is indeed a honest to god M-14 (as produced by Uncle Sam), you indeed have the holy grail; otherwise you don't (but are preety close)

SnakeEater
March 19, 2005, 12:57 AM
No, it is not a Government made M14. It's just called an M14SA by LRB Arms, they are the only current producers of forged recievers. The barrel is a new Wilson match grade, chrome lined. All other parts are USGI. Thanks for the kind words everybody, I'll be sure to post an in-depth range report as I know many are interested in LRB.

John Deere
March 19, 2005, 01:07 AM
Man! I can`t wait to see it! When are you going to drag it out? There is a Navy match sunday, are you still doing the 11 to 7 thing? Regards, Bill

SnakeEater
March 19, 2005, 05:00 PM
Howdy Bill! I'm working days, 7-3, this week. I'll probably go up to the Middletown club Thursday of Friday and get her sighted in. I WILL be at the new member orientation on the 27th at Miami R&P.

John Deere
March 19, 2005, 08:25 PM
Cool! You can shoot the Sporter match in the morning first, if you want to.
You do know all points that need to be greased, right? Center your rear sight, and then slide the front sight left/right to set your initial windage( don`t forget an allen wrench for the front sight ). About 6-8 clicks up from the bottom on your elevation should get you hitting paper.
Regards, Bill

762x51
March 21, 2005, 04:19 PM
So LRB did the actually build for you too? Did you have to supply any parts? Very interested as they are local to me.

SnakeEater
March 21, 2005, 05:27 PM
Yep, LRB did the entire build. They supply everything. They of course use their own forged reciever, you pick between Wilson or Criterion match grade barrels; chome lined is an option, which I got. All of the other parts are genuine USGI, you also get 1 magazine, the Army manual and a sling. The chrome lined barrel is $30 extra so my total was $1935 shipped. I believe prices went up March 1st by $100.

ocabj
March 21, 2005, 09:10 PM
Yep, LRB did the entire build. They supply everything. They of course use their own forged reciever, you pick between Wilson or Criterion match grade barrels; chome lined is an option, which I got. All of the other parts are genuine USGI, you also get 1 magazine, the Army manual and a sling. The chrome lined barrel is $30 extra so my total was $1935 shipped. I believe prices went up March 1st by $100.

Did you get the Criterion? From what I understand, Criterion is a division of Kreiger. Wilson and Criterion are priced the same by most smiths. I'm really interested in how they are cause I might get one for my CMP M1 rebuild when I get around to it.

SnakeEater
March 21, 2005, 09:29 PM
I originally did choose Criterion but Lou called me a few weeks later and said that it would be a long wait, he hadn't recieved his shipment of barrels. He had the Wilson in stock so I went with that.

762x51
March 22, 2005, 04:21 PM
Yikes! Pricey. Beautiful rifle though.

If you enjoyed reading about "My first battle rifle....M14SA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!