SMG shooters - reliability with hollowpoint ammunition?

PDA

Mulliga
March 18, 2005, 01:20 PM
Just a question for all you lucky members who own or shoot submachineguns ;)

It occurred to me that most (if not all) SMGs were designed with military use in mind, and thus they never had to function with anything but ball ammo. How reliable are subguns with JHPs in your experience? How about +P ammunition?

If you enjoyed reading about "SMG shooters - reliability with hollowpoint ammunition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
AK103K
March 18, 2005, 04:22 PM
I've shot a bunch of Federal 9BP and some Silvertips out of both my M11/9mm and my MP5 with no troubles. I've shot the old black tipped IMI carbine 9mm out of the MP5. It would actually fire form the brass to the flutes. I've also shot a bunch of Spanish SMG ONLY 9mm out of the MAC. It runs pretty quick with just standard velocity rounds, but DAMN!, that stuff was like nitrous for SMG's! :)

Hkmp5sd
March 18, 2005, 05:07 PM
My MP5 loves the 147 gr. Hydra Shok and Silvertips. Never tried the 124 gr. stuff. My M11/9 doesn't care too much for hollowpoints.

March 18, 2005, 09:30 PM
I only own one subgun: a Sten Mk. II.
I have never cleaned it.
A few months ago, my club hosted "The VMBAR World Championship" (Vintage Military Bolt Action Rifle). As a novelty stage, everyone fired my Sten with 10 rounds at a steel plate (maybe 40-50 people). Someone donated a bucket of ammo. It contained pretty much anything you can imagine: cast bullets, semi-wadcutters, HP, soft points........................ As far as I know, the gun never skipped a beat.
And I still haven't cleaned it.

MrMurphy
March 18, 2005, 11:25 PM
Some older SMGs don't particularly care for JHPs but the newer JHP ammo generally has a good feed profile to get in the chamber of nearly anything, so newer JHPs should work.

I know the MP5 and most Uzis eat JHPs just fine.

Fed168
March 19, 2005, 06:55 AM
My MP does not like 127 grain +P+ Winchester Rangers.

Nor does it like .380s.

Richard.Howe
March 19, 2005, 09:29 AM
This issue is supposedly one of the reasons CorBon developed the PowRBall.

Rich

If you enjoyed reading about "SMG shooters - reliability with hollowpoint ammunition?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!