Ruger or Remington?

PDA

onerifle
March 19, 2005, 12:52 AM
Folks- I all but have my heart set on buying a .350 Rem. Mag. this spring, but I'd like to get some opinions on whether to go with the Remington 673 or the Ruger 77 Mark II All-Weather. The stainless/synthetic combo of the Ruger really appeals to me especially since Alaska may be in the cards in the next year or two. Would the laminate stock of the Remmy hold up as well as the synthetic on the Ruger?

As long as recoil from either rifle won't exceed Garrett loads in a Marlin Guide Gun, I'm good, so I hope that likely won't be much of an issue :)

As with the Guide Gun, I like the appeal of something that will work on anything from deer on up, given the proper bullet.

Suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger or Remington?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dakotasin
March 19, 2005, 02:43 AM
laminate stocks are extremely stable, and the factory laminate stocks are far better than most of the junk factory synthetics. based on stock alone, the choice is remington, easy...

and, while i'm not a huge fan os stainless rifles, they certainly have their place, especially in places like alaska where rain and salt spray occur...

i'd go remington if it were me, in spite of the blued steel.

Chipperman
March 19, 2005, 11:01 AM
I'd go Remington also.

Superior rifle, superior customer service, better resale value (not that you'd ever sell a gun, right?), better politics

WillBrayJr
March 19, 2005, 03:58 PM
From what I understand Remington's customer service isn't all that great. I'm not taking anything away from their products though.

Ruger's customer service is second to non. Ruger's products will handle the hottest loads with ease! Considering where you're going, I wouldn't worry about politics. I would be more worried about the rifle failing. I have never seen a Ruger fail.

Yes, the synthetic stock will hold up just fine!

rugerfreak
March 19, 2005, 06:58 PM
Look at the screen name and take a wild guess.

In comparison to the run of mill Remington---the Ruger is truely the superior weapon---even if you have to spend a few bucks to make the trigger better.

In customer service---Ruger is the gold standard----Remington--we'll get to ya when we get to ya---maybe.

Chipperman
March 19, 2005, 10:29 PM
Whenever I've called Remington, they have taken care of me quickly and professionally.

I lost a screw from a rifle once, and they sent me a replacement within a week-- No Charge, not even shipping!

WillBrayJr
March 19, 2005, 10:41 PM
Remington's customer service is like H&Ks. Some get great service some don't.

MrMurphy
March 19, 2005, 11:24 PM
Considering Remington is servicing weapons worldwide for military and police markets, as well as handling a massive civilian customer service market, I don't blame them for being busy.

I've handled the Rugers and the Remington 673, and I prefer the 673.

BusMaster007
March 20, 2005, 08:22 PM
My preference is Remington, and my personal dealings with their Customer Service have been limited to getting new mags and extractor for my 597, which they took care of immediately, politely and professionally, at no cost to me.
My 597 is as reliable as my one and only Ruger rifle, a 10/22.
I like the Remington 597 better because it's smoother and more accurate.

That 673 would be more in line with the cartridge and original design of the rifle made for it, I think.
But, if you like the Ruger, get IT.
As long as you're happy with your choice!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger or Remington?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!