Surprise cleaning products

PDA

10-Ring
March 19, 2005, 03:19 PM
Have you ever spilled or accidently applied to your guns & discovered it cleaned better than the expensive stuff you were already using? I have a buddy that uses windex to wipe down his stainless guns and has been using waterless hand cleaner from auto supply place to clean his Glocks :scrutiny: :confused:
I haven't tried it myself (yet) even tho the stuff looks like it works well w/ no apparent down side.

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprise cleaning products" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bear Gulch
March 19, 2005, 03:23 PM
Easy off is great for cleaning machine guns. We used it in the Army before inspections!

Car Knocker
March 19, 2005, 03:54 PM
Windex with vinegar is frequently used by black powder shooters as a powder solvent.

Bear Gulch
March 19, 2005, 04:32 PM
Sudsy Ammonia and water for cleaning after shootingn corrosive ammo.

sm
March 19, 2005, 09:42 PM
Coca Cola is "surprising".

Spill on a polymer pistol and you have a very "tacky" grip.

Works great to remove blood off a Stainless Frame....

Jim K
March 19, 2005, 09:54 PM
A friend who shot at Perry (and won a lot) used Gleem toothpaste to clean the copper out of his M1 and M14 rifle barrels. I don't know what he uses now that Gleem is off the market.

Jim

stevelyn
March 20, 2005, 04:05 PM
Coca Cola is surprising.

Yes it is. I've used it to remove rust. Unfortunately it removes bluing too.

ajkurp
March 20, 2005, 04:15 PM
has proven to work better at removing fouling than any commercial solvent I've ever used. As a bonus, it leaves a persistent light lube on the action.

Wildalaska
March 20, 2005, 05:16 PM
Hot soapy water for the corrrosive stuff, dont even need amonia

WildminimalistAlaska

Bear Gulch
March 20, 2005, 06:18 PM
Ed's red is also the best for removing cosmo and accumulated gunk from milsurps.

RyanM
March 20, 2005, 06:37 PM
Coca Cola is surprising.

Yes it is. I've used it to remove rust. Unfortunately it removes bluing too.

If you look on the side of the can, Coke contains phosphoric acid. Exactly the same stuff that's in Naval Jelly. Pepsi has it too, with citric acid as well.

Don't keep that stuff in your mouth for longer than 2 days, or it'll dissolve your teeth! :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Surprise cleaning products" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!